Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster construction and Special Teams
One of the consequences of going trenches heavy both sides of the line and trading for extra picks will be the impact on Teams.

How are the Bengals going to fit all these DTs and O-linemen drafted onto the roster whilst fielding a competitive Special Teams unit?

This draft already threatens the last remnants of 2019's day 3 picks. Two years later only Renell Wren, Michael Jordan and Trayveon Williams remain standing and the Bengals seem to have drafted their replacements (and in the same draft spots).

But even if the Bengals cut Wren are they really going to run with all of Reader, Shelvin, Tupou, Daniels and their lone 3T, Ogunjobi?
They've drafted 3 DEs - which spells trouble for last year's 5th rounder Khareem - to go with Hubbard and Hendrickson who are locks. That's 10 D-linemen even after cutting two recent picks. They've gone with 8 some years. Where are they going to get those extra roster spots from?

This becomes even more of an issue if they go heavy on the O-line as well. Jonan, Reiff, Carman, Hill, Hopkins, Price, Adeniji, S'ua-Filo, Spain - that's already 9 linemen which puts Fred Johnson and Jordan who they've invested a fair bit in on the block.

Going heavy in the draft has a big impact on Special Teams where speed is much more important than size. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out. No doubt Darrin Simmons will be banging the table for some UDFAs who can run - they need a punt returner as well (although maybe this will be Darius Phillips).
Reply/Quote
Some guys will be on the PS. Some will get cut.

Best guesses for #s on final roster:
QB = 2.
RB = 4.
WR = 6.
TE = 4.
OL = 10.
DL = 10.
LB = 5.
CB = 6.
S = 4.

That is 51. 54 counting. P, PK, & LS. So subtract 1 from somewhere.
Reply/Quote
My feeling on the current roster would be...

QB(2)-Burrow, Allen
RB(4)-Mixon, Perrine, T. Williams, P. Williams
WR(6)-Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Thomas, Morgan
TE(3)-Uzomah, Sample, Moss
OL(10)-Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff, Smith, Hill, XSF, Adeniji, Price
DE(5)-Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, Hubert
DT(5)-Reader, Ogunjobi, Daniels, Shelvin, Tupou
LB(5)-Pratt, Wilson, ADG, Evans, Bailey
CB(6)-Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, Brown
S(4)-Bates, Bell, Allen, Wilson
ST(3)-Harris, Huber, McPherson
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:55 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Some guys will be on the PS. Some will get cut.

Best guesses for #s on final roster:
QB = 2.
RB = 4.
WR = 6.
TE = 4.
OL = 10.
DL = 10.
LB = 5.
CB = 6.
S = 4.

That is 51. 54 counting. P, PK, & LS. So subtract 1 from somewhere.
We probably don't need a 4th RB active, unless that is a ST player. We can go with 3 and stash one on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:06 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: How are the Bengals going to fit all these DTs and O-linemen drafted onto the roster whilst fielding a competitive Special Teams unit?

To answer that question.  They're not going to fit all 10 picks plus UDFA signings on the roster.  Some will end up getting cut, in hopes of landing on the/a practice squad.  Teams pretty much keep the same number of players at each position group, universally.  (give or take an exception or two)

It seems to me that the Bengals drafted a volume of players, hoping to find a few keepers from the group, collectively.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My feeling on the current roster would be...

QB(2)-Burrow, Allen
OL(10)-Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff, Smith, Hill, XSF, Adeniji, Price
Chris Evans will make 53 roster
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 04:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: My feeling on the current roster would be...

QB(2)-Burrow, Allen

You think Pooka over Evans?

My guess:
QB - Burrow, Allen
RB - Mixon, Perine, Trayveon Williams, Evans
TE - Uzomah, Sample, Moss
WR - Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Tate, Thomas, Lees/Pooka Williams/FA
OL - Jonah, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff, XSF, Smith, Adeniji, Johnson, Price (Hill until Hopkins back)

DE - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample, Hubert/Kareem
DT - Reader, Ogunjobi, Daniels, Shelvin, Tupou
LB - Wilson, Pratt, ADG, Bailey, Evans
CB - Waynes, Awuzie, Hilton, Phillips, Apple, Brown
S - Bates, Bell, Wilson, Allen

K - McPherson
P - Huber
LS - Harris

I kinda like Pooka getting the last WR spot. He’s about the same height and weight as Andrew Hawkins. He’s very shifty and speedy, and won’t hold up as a RB. He could be a good gadget player and in the slot. His return ability also has value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote