Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster spot observation
(08-06-2017, 02:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: 7 WRs will make the 53 with 6 dressing for game day. Green, lafell, Erickson. Ross, Malone, Boyd.

I don;t see 7 WRs.. you just Eiffert who will lineup out there some and take snaps away .. with the Oline still in flux, I could see them keeping an extra linemen on offense over the 7th WR
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 02:05 AM)Jpoore Wrote: 7 WRs will make the 53 with 6 dressing for game day. Green, lafell, Erickson. Ross, Malone, Boyd.

OL depth in the NFL is rare but they should be open to a backup tackle for a WR.

No matter their thinking in banking on the two youngsters, one may get hurt.  So if a team will deal you someone that will make Andre a guard exclusively, or Winston a FA you have to listen.  That deal may not be there, but even Boyd can be had IMO for the right Tackle. 

Regardless of where they were picked, think of the luxury of Fisher as a 6th man or the idea that Ced could be a bust and Cincy still wins a playoff game.  If nothing else, Erickson for a developmental guy works for me.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Core vs. Malone vs Erickson

From todays scrimmage it was Malone, Erickson, Core as far as who had the better days.. I actually thought Core had a bad day.. one or two drops, lack of separation today.. Malone had at least 3 catches.. Erickson 2 and both ran well after catch...

I like Core but so far I put Malone ahead of him on just training camp...
No way Core gets benched, PSed, or cut. He has actually produced in NFL games and has a high ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 03:06 AM)treee Wrote: No way Core gets benched, PSed, or cut. He has actually produced in NFL games and has a high ceiling.

He had a bad scrimmage and there is no doubt competition at WR.. Malone has been outplaying all young WRs from what i have watched and heard.. I like Core and  still see Core ahead of Erickson but Erickson also performed last year. so anything goes in the preseason.. he needs to play better for sure. 
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He had a bad scrimmage and there is no doubt competition at WR.. Malone has been outplaying all young WRs from what i have watched and heard.. I like Core and  still see Core ahead of Erickson but Erickson also performed last year. so anything goes in the preseason.. he needs to play better for sure. 

I think the fact they keep trying Ross at punt return and Mixon at Kick return shows we are trying to see if we have a replacement for Erickson.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He had a bad scrimmage and there is no doubt competition at WR.. Malone has been outplaying all young WRs from what i have watched and heard.. I still see Core ahead of Erickson but Erickson also performed last year. so anything goes in the preseason.. he needs to play better for sure. 
Yea I see where you're coming from. He still has a lot to prove and and his roster spot is very much not locked in. That said, he has shown he can make some plays against 1st string defenses (albiet, a good chunk of them were the Ravens secondary...). I still think he'll be fine but if another WR steps up enough to push him out then that's a good sign as well. Competition breeds excellence.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He had a bad scrimmage and there is no doubt competition at WR.. Malone has been outplaying all young WRs from what i have watched and heard.. I like Core and  still see Core ahead of Erickson but Erickson also performed last year. so anything goes in the preseason.. he needs to play better for sure. 

Erickson was one of the best returners last year. It would be foolish to put him on the PS. I really like Core, but if he brings the least to the table then he should be put on the PS. It's sad that he will more than likely get picked up by another team if we put him on the PS.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Erickson was one of the best returners last year. It would be foolish to put him on the PS. I really like Core, but if he brings the least to the table then he should be put on the PS. It's sad that he will more than likely get picked up by another team if we put him on the PS.

After having "one of the best returners in the league" statistically for who knows how many years now, you have to wonder if it mostly comes down to Simmons. 
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2017, 08:46 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: College is MLF. Anything beyond that is reducing the quality of players on the field and many would not make it due to injuries. As we all realize, football is a tough sport. So if we had a minor league team, by the time they wear the stripes, half of their career may be gone?

All I thought when I read the bolded above was...

[Image: milf-milf-milf-american-pie-1-vagonettas.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 02:48 PM)treee Wrote: After having "one of the best returners in the league" statistically for who knows how many years now, you have to wonder if it mostly comes down to Simmons. 

I think that Simmons is a huge part of it, but you can't discount how good Erickson was after he found his groove.
Reply/Quote
Jets top WR just got hurt, should try to trade a sub WR for a guy like Dakota Dozier.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 02:48 PM)treee Wrote: After having "one of the best returners in the league" statistically for who knows how many years now, you have to wonder if it mostly comes down to Simmons. 

I thought everyone said Tate was horrible... if he was horrible, the stats would have showed that.. bottom line it is a combination of good coaching and good players...  Like Sparky said.. if it was not for the players on the Big Red Machine, he would have sucked as a coach
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 01:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see 7 WRs.. you just Eiffert who will lineup out there some and take snaps away .. with the Oline still in flux, I could see them keeping an extra linemen on offense over the 7th WR

Normally would agree with you, but it sounds like the coaching staff is trying to keep 7.

Maybe they keep 1 less LB than normal since they play so much nickel.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the fact they keep trying Ross at punt return and Mixon at Kick return shows we are trying to see if we have a replacement for Erickson.

Should be giving both Ross and Mixon reps at PR, as both were primarily KR in college.
Mixon had 5 PR attempts and 22 KR.
Ross had 4 PR attempts and 86 KR.
Brandon Wilson also has no PR experience (0 PR, 44 KR).

I think PR experience is what could keep Erickson on this team. He actually only had 2 KR attempts in college, so KR was pretty new to him last year. He ended up doing pretty well at KR last year, so I think KR is easier to grasp than PR.

A player I would like to see get some PR opportunities who actually does have PR experience is Tyler Boyd (27 PR for 238 yds and 1 TD - 8.8 YPR).
Not only do I think Boyd could be a solid PR in the NFL, but it would give him more opportunities to help the team and earn that 2nd round draft status.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

If Malone can track and adjust to a badly thrown ball and Core still can't, Core is gone.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 12:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think the fact they keep trying Ross at punt return and Mixon at Kick return shows we are trying to see if we have a replacement for Erickson.

Marvin traditionally has not put guys who will see major snaps as position players in the primary returner role.  They are most likely looking at these guys to see if they can provide a spark as an occasional returner as they've done with Pacman and/or a fallback in case Erickson gets hurt during a game.  Ross has struggled in return duty, Mixon is looking like he'll be the primary RB, and Wilson is out hurt.  Unless Erickson has a totally disastrous preseason, he's relatively safe.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 11:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Marvin traditionally has not put guys who will see major snaps as position players in the primary returner role.  They are most likely looking at these guys to see if they can provide a spark as an occasional returner as they've done with Pacman and/or a fallback in case Erickson gets hurt during a game.  Ross has struggled in return duty, Mixon is looking like he'll be the primary RB, and Wilson is out hurt.  Unless Erickson has a totally disastrous preseason, he's relatively safe.

I agree with this, i highly doubt they cut Erickson. Especially with Wilson hurt and not being able to show anything.

Have to have a backup plan though in case Erickson gets injured. Adam, Ross and Boyd can all return Kicks.
Reply/Quote

Good point, but I sure as hell would rather not risk them at that position.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2017, 09:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but I sure as hell would rather not risk them at that position.

Yeah, i like Erickson then Boyd as insurance 1, 2. Then Adam and if WJ3 and Dennard play great Adam would be #2.

Lets not risk Ross or Mixon on returns.
Reply/Quote
Signs are pointing towards keeping 7 WRs.. but that decision will be influence as much by the play of D and O line in presason, play of other return players, and injuries through preseason as it will be by the play of the bubble WRs
Reply/Quote