Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster turnover
(11-25-2021, 02:20 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lou is blameless. There was a call where he had the LBers in a double A-gap position and White read it pre-snap and hit the seam where the hole was. A look like that can really stress the low defenders. It was a big play for the Jets. Conversely, on one of the touchdowns, Lou called a cover 3 look and Jessie vacated the middle of the field and White threw a TD right where he was. There is blame on both sides, but Lou isn't the sole reason for that game. The players also shit the bed. 

I remember a 3rd and 15 we blitzed Mike White checked quickly to Ty Johnson who then went 20yds untouched for the 1st. I agree with Fred and the Jets loss is 100 percent on Lou. Did some players have some bad plays and miss some tackles sure. But you know what happens when you let a NFL RB catch a ball with so much space they can turn up field and assess. They make the first man miss. 
Reply/Quote
I also like some of the moves they didn’t make.

Like not signing Golladay. Highest paid wideout in FA and he’s not any good playing for the giants.

At least they wasn’t going to overpay him if he did sign here.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 04:03 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I remember a 3rd and 15 we blitzed Mike White checked quickly to Ty Johnson who then went 20yds untouched for the 1st. I agree with Fred and the Jets loss is 100 percent on Lou. Did some players have some bad plays and miss some tackles sure. But you know what happens when you let a NFL RB catch a ball with so much space they can turn up field and assess. They make the first man miss. 

I have absolutely no idea how you come out of this conversation saying that loss is 100% on anyone, but okay. Hopefully the issues we saw in the Jets game don’t show up in the game this weekend. Go Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 11:08 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah... It was pretty heated. I don't think either of them were outta line, but Henry wasn't quietly taking Hue's loud profane criticism either.

The few times I've sat that close behind the bench have been interesting. I was at the Giants game in 2012 I think. We pretty much blew them out, so toward the end I was really watching players interact on the bench. I remember seeing Pacman reenact either a long punt return or an interception. They're like kids sometimes.

Being in front row behind bench gives a whole different perspective to watching NFL. 

You are right there with where the action takes place on field but the sideline can be as much of a show as well and can hear exactly what is being said if a coach is mad. Can talk to the cheerleaders easily all day long. 

You can talk to players in preseason during games and in regular season the kicker, punter, and long snappers only will talk with you during play. Clark would remove his shirt sleeve thingy and show all the progress on his arm sleeve tattoo almost weekly. Peko was great at interacting too but obviously not going to come talk to you during game. 

Actually I got something started with Peko. He made a great play (know there were some eye rolls from the haters) and I hollered as he was leaving the field and gave him a thumbs up while yelling great play, and he thought I threw the Shaka sign and threw the Shaka back and I played it off like that's exactly what I did lol. Once everybody saw that he would respond to the Shaka everybody did it often from then on. 

Plus got given 3  Chad TD balls, another ball from Maualuga after they beat Pittsburgh. I call the steelers suck ball lol. Chads cleats and gloves and Chad dubbed my buddy sitting next to me that comes from Louisville every game with us his new best friend and came and shook his hand after the Star Spangled Banner for the entire season. He comes to pose for pics with him when visiting and even invited us out one time but we couldn't stay that night. They still remain friends online and play some sort of online game together often. Good Times that I hated giving up seats this season after 30 years of loyalty. 

Oh and my buddy became a rockstar in the stands and fans would come down to get their picture taken with Chads best friend lol. He was eating it up but it sometimes got tiresome.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 03:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why did you leave out tackles? 

Because Dunlap was only slightly better in snaps per tackle instead of 50% to 200% better like he was at all those other key stats.

(11-25-2021, 03:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The coaches would have been complete idiots not to try something to spark the Defense.

You don't "spark" anything by reducing the level of talent on the field.

It is just like trying Finley instead of Dalton.  It was a stupid move and it failed.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 10:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't "spark" anything by reducing the level of talent on the field.

It is just like trying Finley instead of Dalton.  It was a stupid move and it failed.

Carl Lawson and Sam Hubbard were young players that needed more snaps to see what the team had over a veteran that wasn't playing well early and tended to freelance outside of the defense. The reason Dunlap didn't regain his role after Hubbard was hurt the very next game is because he decided to post the defensive end rotation on instagram. Dunlap should have been fined for that.

As for Finley you had a bad team mid way through the season with a QB on the way out. The Bengals coaches were just seeing what they had in the backup.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 10:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because Dunlap was only slightly better in snaps per tackle instead of 50% to 200% better like he was at all those other key stats.

You don't "spark" anything by reducing the level of talent on the field.

So you left out tackles because it goes against your narrative. Kinda like being less that forthright wouldn't you agree.

You have 0 idea what you spark until you try it. We sparked a lot of stuff last year when we brought in Finley to play the Steelers. But I'll take you at your word, that if you were in charge of a team that was losing and a high priced vet was severely under-performing; you'd just stick with the status quo...

The move didn't fail. It allowed MLK to show his true colors so we let him walk. Who knows, much like the Dalton move, the coaches may have saw it didn't produce the results they wanted and went back to letting George Washington have 80ish% of the snaps. But we'll never know, because Carlos "manned up" and cried his way out of town. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 05:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I also like some of the moves they didn’t make.

Like not signing Golladay. Highest paid wideout in FA and he’s not any good playing for the giants.

At least they wasn’t going to overpay him if he did sign here.

True, and letting WJIII walk.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So you left out tackles because it goes against your narrative. Kinda like being less that forthright wouldn't you agree.

Dunlap had a better snap to tackle ratio than Bledsoe and Kareem.  So I actually left out info that supported my position.  But it just was not as dramatic as the other numbers.

(11-25-2021, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  You have 0 idea what you spark until you try it. We sparked a lot of stuff last year when we brought in Finley to play the Steelers. But I'll take you at your word, that if you were in charge of a team that was losing and a high priced vet was severely under-performing; you'd just stick with the status quo...

Should not be too difficult to believe that I would do what every other NFL coach would do.  They don't bench players unless they have someone better to play because they want to win.

(11-25-2021, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Carlos "manned up" and cried his way out of town. 

Link to Dunlap crying.  All I saw him do was point out how stupid the coaches were.

Making up shit about him crying is, how do you say it, "a little less than forthright" wouldn't you say.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's a pretty good one, although I think Webb was a band aid on an axe wound of a defense.  But that was a poor personnel choice.  I don't think he got rid of a solid player to start Webb, though.  He was simply trying to fill a hole with a veteran that knew his system.  

Like Ricardo Allen.  When I saw his name in the offseason, I was like "eh?", but he has proven to be a solid addition and allows Lou to rotate some "big nickel" looks with three safeties.  That is something the Pats almost do as their base defense, and it just gives a QB a little more "pause" because it creates some new looks and allows the pass rush another split second to get home.

Look, I know Anarumo has been the whipping boy around here, much like ZT before him, but I said I would give him this season as a "no excuses"-type season.  You know what?  He has done a damn good job.  In this division, and today's high-flying NFL offenses, he has done a damn good job.

The defense was extremely good the first seven weeks of the season.  SEVEN STRAIGHT WEEKS.  No clunkers at all.  Then, on their third straight road game, they got beat by the Jets.  They still should have won that game, up 11 in the 4th quarter, but it was a bad day for the defense.  They followed that up with another bad outing against the Browns.  Then, the Raiders game.  

They shut down their slot WR and completely eliminated their other WRs.  Waller had a solid day, but no one else did.  Against a desperate team, on the road, that has a pretty good offense and a veteran QB.  Held Derek Carr to 85 yards below his game average yardage, and forced two turnovers.  Held them to just 72 yards rushing. 

The remainder of the schedule has three more AFC North games, and he had great games against pitt and Baltimore.  Now, they get them at home.

I have no doubt the offense will put up 24 points or more every game.  Whether the Bengals make the playoffs will rest on Lou's shoulders.  He has earned my trust to this point.  10 games in and his defense has only had 2 poor outings.  Say they have two more poor outings down the final 7 games, then I would say the Bengals will be 11-6 and possibly win the division.  

Based on what this team had last year, if he does that, I think he should be in serious consideration of an assistant coach of the year award.  

Yes, there is a lot of time to go, but he has earned that discussion to this point.  

What has me so excited is that 5 of the next 6 are at home!  Almost no travel!  Look how the defense performed when they weren't on the road for three straight games (one of just two teams to have that on thier schedule). 

Who Dey!   Who Dey

Good post!

Everyone thought I was such a ZT and Anarumo homer all off season.
Like you, I only wanted to judge them based on them having the opportunity to coach with players that fit their scheme and wanted to be there.
Patience has shown to have paid off for the Bengals. Can't imagine where we would be if we fired everyone like a lot of people on this board wanted and still want to do. These coaches all know the X's and O's of coaching football. They just need the right X's and O's for their system. Once they have the right ones it would be fair to judge their coaching abilities.
I for one feel that ZT and Anarumo have already shown they will be good/great coaches. The draft has been great, the locker room is solid and for the most part the game plans have been good. I really don't want to start over with a new coaching staff, I think that puts you 2-3 years behind.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2021, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dunlap had a better snap to tackle ratio than Bledsoe and Kareem.  So I actually left out info that supported my position.  But it just was not as dramatic as the other numbers.

Should not be too difficult to believe that I would do what every other NFL coach would do.  They don't bench players unless they have someone better to play because they want to win.

Link to Dunlap crying.  All I saw him do was point out how stupid the coaches were.

Making up shit about him crying is, how do you say it, "a little less than forthright" wouldn't you say.
Here's your link

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cry

cry verb

\ ˈkrī  \
cried; crying
Definition of cry (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb

1: to utter loudly : SHOUT
He cried "Wait!" but it was too late.
2archaic : BEG, BESEECH
3: to proclaim publicly : ADVERTISE
cry their wares

WTS, I've grown tired of discussing MLK, George Washington, Carlos Dunlap, and playing Chess with this Pigeon. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2021, 12:39 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Good post!

Everyone thought I was such a ZT and Anarumo homer all off season.
Like you, I only wanted to judge them based on them having the opportunity to coach with players that fit their scheme and wanted to be there.
Patience has shown to have paid off for the Bengals. Can't imagine where we would be if we fired everyone like a lot of people on this board wanted and still want to do. These coaches all know the X's and O's of coaching football. They just need the right X's and O's for their system. Once they have the right ones it would be fair to judge their coaching abilities.
I for one feel that ZT and Anarumo have already shown they will be good/great coaches. The draft has been great, the locker room is solid and for the most part the game plans have been good. I really don't want to start over with a new coaching staff, I think that puts you 2-3 years behind.

I've said that forever, and have been roundly lambasted for it. The book is still out, but I stand by what I said.
Reply/Quote
There is a really excellent article on Zac in The Athletic written by national NFL reporter Dan Pompei.  It is discussing how Zac became the coach he is today.  There is a really interesting section on the roster turnover

The entire article is behind a paywall which currently is $1.00/month

https://theathletic.com/2976527/2021/11/26/zacs-a-sponge-what-bengals-coach-zac-taylor-learned-along-the-way-to-build-a-winner-in-cincinnati/?source=emp_shared_article

Quote:“The No. 1 thing I wanted was the players to walk in the door excited to come into work every day,” he says.

For that to happen, some weeds had to be uprooted.

There was no place for veterans who wanted to do things the way they always had done them. Those trying to turn minor injuries into rail passes on the gravy train were told to keep moving. He didn’t need big names who thought they — and their Louis Vuitton carry-ons — belonged in first class on road trips.

Taylor wanted players who feel the same hunger in the center of the chest that he does. “Sometimes, I love seeing Joe’s urgency in practice at the line of scrimmage, the volume of his cadence,” Taylor says of his quarterback.

After two years, the team that once was Lewis’ has become Taylor’s completely.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2021, 01:01 PM)pally Wrote: There is a really excellent article on Zac in The Athletic written by national NFL reporter Dan Pompei.  It is discussing how Zac became the coach he is today.  There is a really interesting section on the roster turnover

The entire article is behind a paywall which currently is $1.00/month

https://theathletic.com/2976527/2021/11/26/zacs-a-sponge-what-bengals-coach-zac-taylor-learned-along-the-way-to-build-a-winner-in-cincinnati/?source=emp_shared_article

Bam.... shots fired.
Reply/Quote
“The No. 1 thing I wanted was the players to walk in the door excited to come into work every day,” he says.

No matter how Zac tries to spin he simply did not have the resume or results that would get players excited.

No person at any job should be excited to go to work at a failing business with an incompetent boss. Among our HC, DC, and OC we did not have a single one who had ever even been a successful coordinator and they all failed for the last two years here.

At some point the coaches have to have some accountability and stop blaming the players who were not happy with losing.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2021, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: “The No. 1 thing I wanted was the players to walk in the door excited to come into work every day,” he says.

No matter how Zac tries to spin he simply did not have the resume or results that would get players excited.

No person at any job should be excited to go to work at a failing business with an incompetent boss.  Among our HC, DC, and OC we did not have a single one who had ever even been a successful coordinator and they all failed for the last two years here.

At some point the coaches have to have some accountability and stop blaming the players who were not happy with losing.

You really need to give it up with the Dunlap worship Fred. There are plenty of players on this roster who were excited to come to work everyday. Guys like Hubbard, Higgins, Bell, Burrow and Mixon etc. The best thing he did was kick the malcontents like Dunlap and WJIII to the curb. No one misses them.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2021, 05:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You really need to give it up with the Dunlap worship Fred. There are plenty of players on this roster who were excited to come to work everyday. Guys like Hubbard, Higgins, Bell, Burrow and Mixon etc. The best thing he did was kick the malcontents like Dunlap and WJIII to the curb. No one misses them.

Staff has also brought in team captains for almost every position. It's no wonder we are one of the most disciplined teams in the league. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote