Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roster updates 11/5
Auden Tate returns to the 53 man roster as Carl Lawson makes that expected trip to the IR list.

Let the new era begin

In other news LS Clark Harris signed to a 2 year extension.

QB Christian Hackenberg released from PS
QB Conner Cook signed to PS
TE Andrew Vollert signed to PS

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I guess no Bruce Irvin.thats means I gotta watch Jordan Willis do nothing off the edge
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:24 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I guess no Bruce Irvin.thats means I gotta watch Jordan Willis do nothing off the edge

This year Willis has more tackles than Irvin and the exact same number of QB hits.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This year Willis has more tackles than Irvin and the exact same number of QB hits.

Which isn't saying Willis is playing well...cuz he's not.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Which isn't saying Willis is playing well...cuz he's not.

Point is he's playing as well or better than Irvin, so there might not be much of a benefit to bring in Irvin. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Point is he's playing as well or better than Irvin, so there might not be much of a benefit to bring in Irvin. 

Exactly.  Here are the choices.

Watch a young player like Willis who may improve with more playing time.

Give up draft picks to watch a guy who is 31, not doing much more than Willis, and getting worse with age instead of better.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Point is he's playing as well or better than Irvin, so there might not be much of a benefit to bring in Irvin. 

Bruce Irvin has been a solid contributor in the NFL for quite a few years now. Half a season on a very very bad team is excuseable. Is he a top tier edge defender? No, but he has a niche and is good at it. 

He is worth taking a look at since they are down Glasgow and Lawson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  Here are the choices.

Give up draft picks to watch a guy who is 31, not doing much more than Willis, and getting worse with age instead of better.

It's not about taking snaps from this guy or that guy....The Bengals are now down two defensive linemen in Glasgow and Lawson. Bringing in another edge to take some of Lawson and Glasgow snaps wouldn't be a dumb idea.

Edit: He's a FA no draft picks needed.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Bruce Irvin has been a solid contributor in the NFL for quite a few years now. Half a season on a very very bad team is excuseable. Is he a top tier edge defender? No, but he has a niche and is good at it. 

He is worth taking a look at since they are down Glasgow and Lawson.

I was about to edit my post to say that the Bengals do have an open DE spot now with Lawson going down so why not just add another, but you beat me to it. And I'd be fine with adding him. But slamming Willis, to me, is unjustified. He seems to be playing fine outside of the sack production.

Also, the Bengals already added Adolphus Washington to replace Glasgow, who is an improvement over Glasgow anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Im stoked about tate,hopefully they involve him
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 08:50 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Im stoked about tate,hopefully they involve him

Doubt they do or he already would have been part of the 53. If they do however, here’s hoping he makes the best of it.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.  Here are the choices.

Agreed, I can't really get behind trading draft picks for what is essentially a "rental", a guy that most likely isn't even going to be on the team next year.  One of the Bengals biggest operating M.O.s is to draft and develop.  They invested a 3rd round pick in Willis, it's time for him to develop.  

Think I'm wrong?  What would have happened if they would have kept Geno Atkins on the bench, and picked up a "rental"?  Injuries pushed him into service, and the rest is history.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What? No screaming to promote Connor Cook to starting QB .... yet?  I'm patient.  I'll wait . 

After all, he does have the same number of post season TD passes as Dalton.. 1
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The utter lack of them doing anything about the gaping holes at WR and TE makes it really look like our front office has written the season off.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 10:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: The utter lack of them doing anything about the gaping holes at WR and TE makes it really look like our front office has written the season off.

Did you miss the part where we promoted Tate?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
meanwhile the Saints are bringing in Dez Bryant for a workout while Bengals are enamoured with the trifecta of Core Erickson and Malone
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 10:26 PM)grampahol Wrote: What? No screaming to promote Connor Cook to starting QB .... yet?  I'm patient.  I'll wait . 

After all, he does have the same number of post season TD passes as Dalton.. 1

He does have less post season INTs and FUMs than Dalton also. LOL

I just had to get that in before the next guy. Besides, Cook will need a couple of weeks to learn the offense.

Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 04:09 PM)pally Wrote: Auden Tate returns to the 53 man roster as Carl Lawson makes that expected trip to the IR list.

Let the new era begin

In other news LS Clark Harris signed to a 2 year extension.

QB Christian Hackenberg released from PS
QB Conner Cook signed to PS
TE Andrew Vollert signed to PS

Wow. Hackenberg must be really struggling.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 11:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you miss the part where we promoted Tate?

No. I don't consider promoting from the practice squad when there were and are accomplished NFL players available to be doing something about a gaping hole. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2018, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, I can't really get behind trading draft picks for what is essentially a "rental", a guy that most likely isn't even going to be on the team next year.  One of the Bengals biggest operating M.O.s is to draft and develop.  They invested a 3rd round pick in Willis, it's time for him to develop.  

Think I'm wrong?  What would have happened if they would have kept Geno Atkins on the bench, and picked up a "rental"?  Injuries pushed him into service, and the rest is history.

Which is what some folks are saying about Tate.  You never know until he gets a chance.....see Jordan Franks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote