Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
In yet another unsurprising move, it's being reported that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals want to re-sign Russell Bodine.
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

Quote:Coach Marvin Lewis said the Bengals hope to re-sign free agent C Russell Bodine.
Bodine has been a major liability as a four-year starter, but he hasn't missed a game and is only 25 years old. "We want to do everything in our power to get Russell back," Lewis said. "Russell’s been, physically, mentally a tough football player. He was installed there as a rookie and he’s done nothing but continue to grow and get better and frankly grow into a guy you can count on."
Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Jan 26 - 2:09 PM

FML. Continuity will be the death of this organization.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I knew it......all of that change talk was just bullshit.  Fuggin' Blodine.....GTFO Merv, you gotta be fuggin' kidding me.  Next we'll all hear about how "tough" Ogbuehi is.  **** this shit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:43 PM)ochocincosIn yet another unsurprising move, it\s being reported that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals want to re-sign Russell Bodine. Wrote: http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
I'm not jumping off the cliff over this. In the article from the Enquirer I think they said it's not like the Bengals would get in a bidding war over him. If the guy comes back on a pretty average deal, and has starting experience, I am cool with him coming back and competing. He is young and the new coach may be able to work with him, maybe he won't, but I got to believe he has a say in this.
Reply/Quote
F***ing idiots Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:50 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not jumping off the cliff over this. In the article from the Enquirer I think they said it's not like the Bengals would get in a bidding war over him. If the guy comes back on a pretty average deal, and has starting experience, I am cool with him coming back and competing. He is young and the new coach may be able to work with him, maybe he won't, but I got to believe he has a say in this.

Assuming Bodine was not $4+ mill a year (even though I fear he would be because of how this franchise operates), I'd be fine with him competing with TJ Johnson and a high draft pick.
However, what I fear is the re-signing of Bodine would give the coaches an excuse to wait on drafting a C until Day 3 or potentially not draft one at all.
That is my nightmare.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This is the Ray Maualuga story all over again.

Or the re-signing of Marvin Lewis story all over again.

Mike Brown perfectly happy with a coach who has the worst playoff record in history and who cannot beat our main rival and the 28th or worse center in the league.

Bodine will be re-signed and we will take a center in the 7th round.
Reply/Quote
As long as the money is not too bad then he can fight for starting spot and maybe still be a back up if he gets beat out. He might also look like a different player with a different coach.
Reply/Quote
Im sure we will also be resigning Leon Hall and Peko in the off season as well. Maybe even Terrance Newman or Andrew Hawkins.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Getting to the point again, where players won’t want to play for the Bengals. If guys like Eifert and Bodine even get a sniff from another team, they’re gone. Players want a shot at the Super Bowl and just like the 90’s, they will soon realize, it won’t happen in Cincy as long as Marv and Mikey are running the show.
Reply/Quote
Settle, everyone.

This would be a complete disaster to have him starting here next season, but let's not forget that we currently have no better options, so Marvin's not going to come out and say "yeah, Bodine blows, so we're looking for a replacement," because then you're stuck with him if you can't find anyone better in the draft or free agency and you need to resign him.

Also, bringing him back doesn't mean that he'll start.

I'll admit that even the thought of bringing him back to start freaks me out, but nothing's even anywhere close to being finalized yet.

Pollack's coaching could also make all the difference in the world.

The article does mention the guy that I want, Jensen, from the Ravens, so let's hope that Marvin and the front office see it the same way:

Quote:As for if there could be a change at center, the best fit on the market would seem to come from across the division. Baltimore center Ryan Jensen, 26, emerged in his first full season as a starter and could bring a nastiness the Bengals staff has always sought in their linemen and knowledge of handling the rigors of the AFC North.

The word nastiness in this context gets me excited.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Assuming Bodine was not $4+ mill a year (even though I fear he would be because of how this franchise operates), I'd be fine with him competing with TJ Johnson and a high draft pick.
However, what I fear is the re-signing of Bodine would give the coaches an excuse to wait on drafting a C until Day 3 or potentially not draft one at all.
That is my nightmare.

I'd say that your fears a justified.  If they sign Bodine to a contract extension, they will view the position as filled by an experienced, incumbent starter.  The best they'll do is draft a late round stooge or UDFA who has no realistic chance at seeing enough meaningful downs to have an opportunity to outshine good ole' Tommy Turnstile (Bodine).

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: I knew it......all of that change talk was just bullshit.  Fuggin' Blodine.....GTFO Merv, you gotta be fuggin' kidding me.  Next we'll all hear about how "tough" Ogbuehi is.  **** this shit.

The New OL coach seemed to like bodine...   So ill give him a chance to work with him before I condemn the move.   he seemed to play well in the changed scheme the last few games. But I haven't looked at PFF or anything to confirm

But I think its smart to at least sign him to a small team friendly deal (not gonna be a ton of demand on the market... ) cause if we cant sign or draft a center that's an upgrade then we are better off with the guys that's been doing it the last 4 years I think than someone that couldn't unseat him the last 2.
Reply/Quote
WTF?

How many times have I heard you guys swooning over how good the O-line looked at the end of the season?

Wasn't Bodine starting in the middle of that line?

I did not have the Sunday Ticket this year so I was not able to watch every game like before. So I don't know how bad Bodine really looked. But I do know that many times the guys that most people here claim suck actually do not play that badly (Peko, Dre Kirk, MJ).

He looked really bad his rookie year, but any 4th rounder thrown into a starting position from day 1 is going to struggle. He did not really improve that much his second and third seasons but he was getting some better.

I do know the Bengals let Ghiciuc walk after his contract was up and they cut Kyle Cook while he was still under contract. So based on recent history the Bengals do not keep OCs that are not playing well.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 05:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The New OL coach seemed to like bodine...   So ill give him a chance to work with him before I condemn the move.   he seemed to play well in the changed scheme the last few games. But I haven't looked at PFF or anything to confirm

But I think its smart to at least sign him to a small team friendly deal (not gonna be a ton of demand on the market... )  cause if we cant sign or draft a center that's an upgrade then we are better off with the guys that's been doing it the last 4 years I think than someone that couldn't unseat him the last 2.

This would only be true if every "quality" Center in the draft is gone in the first 11 picks of the draft.
Joking aside, the Bengals "can" easily draft or sign a center that's an upgrade if they want. It's more their choice of how limiting they want to be that filters out some of the top candidates.
E.g. Waiting until Round 4 or later to draft a center or put a low limit on what you're willing to spend in FA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

How many times have I heard you guys swooning over how good the O-line looked at the end of the season?

Wasn't Bodine starting in the middle of that line?

I did not have the Sunday Ticket this year so I was not able to watch every game like before.  So I don't know how bad Bodine really looked.  But I do know that many times the guys that most people here claim suck actually do not play that badly (Peko, Dre Kirk, MJ).

He looked really bad his rookie year, but any 4th rounder thrown into a starting position from day 1 is going to struggle.  He did not really improve that much his second and third seasons but he was getting some better.

I do know the Bengals let Ghiciuc walk after his contract was up and they cut Kyle Cook while he was still under contract.  So based on recent history the Bengals do not keep OCs that are not playing well.
Are the last four years recent enough for you?  Cuz he has sucked ass for all four, one of the worst in the league, in fact.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In yet another unsurprising move, it's being reported that Marvin Lewis and the Bengals want to re-sign Russell Bodine.
http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

Andy Dalton read this and shit a brick.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Man I wonder if there are any other centers the Bengals could get.?

Maybe a guy in third Rd like I saw in this one mock.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Jakes-take-Mock-Draft-Buffalo-Trade?pid=509304#pid509304
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 05:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'd say that your fears a justified.  If they sign Bodine to a contract extension, they will view the position as filled by an experienced, incumbent starter.  The best they'll do is draft a late round stooge or UDFA who has no realistic chance at seeing enough meaningful downs to have an opportunity to outshine good ole' Tommy Turnstile (Bodine).

My fear
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This would only be true if every "quality" Center in the draft is gone in the first 11 picks of the draft.
Joking aside, the Bengals "can" easily draft or sign a center that's an upgrade if they want. It's more their choice of how limiting they want to be that filters out some of the top candidates.
E.g. Waiting until Round 4 or later to draft a center or put a low limit on what you're willing to spend in FA.

Not that simple...  If the only center with a 1st round grade is gone by 12 we aren't drafting a Center with a 2nd or 3rd round grade with the 12 pick...

You guys would be much more pissed off at that
Reply/Quote