Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(02-09-2018, 03:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure he does,

Since 2011 the Bengals are 12th in the league in total wins against playoff teams.
I'm still waiting for the time when I'm watching some silly tv show and someone will break in with : We interrupt this program to announce that  since 2011 the Cincinnati Bengals are 12th in the league in total wins against playoff teams. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming .

Boy! That would sure have viewers glued to the old boob tube! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2018, 10:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that Marvin has not won a playoff game does not mean he can not win a playoff game.

That's true until Marv retires with a 0 still on the left side of the ledger. Then, that's exactly what it means.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wait... my bringing up 2015 reminded me of something...

That was a great year for the Bengals. Russell Bodine was on the roster and started at Center and the offensive line was very good. Why is it that people want to give up on him and think he can't play well? Especially with a new position coach.

If we didn't have bodine that year we would have been even better. He was an obvious weakness to defenses. 

We really need a new center and I am not that thrilled with keeping him. I would rather draft a guy and sign a veteran fa if there are any. 

I just don't see the value in re signing a guy who is just a liability only because He is familiar. 

Oh, and good job hijacking the thread back on track  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's true until Marv retires with a 0 still on the left side of the ledger. Then, that's exactly what it means.

Ahh, but you're forgetting the old coming back from the dead clause.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2018, 12:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Fred channeling his inner Mike Brown regarding a broken clock, "Just because our clock is broken doesn't mean our clock can't tell us the correct time twice a day. Matter of fact, we get the same information from our broken clock as the rest of the league gets from their clocks. So there is really no need to get another clock."

It always puts a smile on my face when someone nails an analogy around here because it's a pretty rare occurrence. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Once again the coming back from the dead clause.. Marvin might rise from the dead just to show he can lose another playoff game . You heard it here first. 

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 01:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ahh, but you're forgetting the old coming back from the dead clause.. 

You have a point. Zombie Marv would probably do better because he doesn't have the majority of his brain making decisions. 

A razor-focused-on-instant-gratification-for-Super-Bowl-glory Marv would be a welcome sight. Of course the trophy would have to be covered in brains but we can work on that later. 

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You should read the quote I was responding to before commenting.

You keep pimping the fact that Marvin has beaten playoff teams in the regular season, like that's a big feather in his cap.  What a Geoff thing to say.  You might as well copy and paste his goofy articles.  difference is, he's being paid for his silly propaganda.  Doesn't make anyone roll their eyes any less, but at least it makes him a guy doing his job. 

Why anyone not being paid to do it would go to such great lengths to make the mediocrity look better than it is really is kind of a head scratcher.   The numbers are all there for all of us to see.  It takes a real commitment to ignoring reality to paint it as anything other than what it is, which is the portrait of a guy with profound limitations who keeps getting mulligan after mulligan because he's his boss's buddy.

No one denies Marvin has had some regular season success.  It's not like he hasn't had enough chances.  But the evidence is clearly in.  If the SB is the Pacific, Marvin and the entire franchise is kicking pebbles on the Jersey shore.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: You keep pimping the fact that Marvin has beaten playoff teams in the regular season, like that's a big feather in his cap.  What a Geoff thing to say.  You might as well copy and paste his goofy articles.  difference is, he's being paid for his silly propaganda.  Doesn't make anyone roll their eyes any less, but at least it makes him a guy doing his job. 

Why anyone not being paid to do it would go to such great lengths to make the mediocrity look better than it is really is kind of a head scratcher.   The numbers are all there for all of us to see.  It takes a real commitment to ignoring reality to paint it as anything other than what it is, which is the portrait of a guy with profound limitations who keeps getting mulligan after mulligan because he's his boss's buddy.

No one denies Marvin has had some regular season success.  It's not like he hasn't had enough chances.  But the evidence is clearly in.  If the SB is the Pacific, Marvin, and the entire franchise is kicking pebbles on the Jersey shore.

0-7 is the whole story.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 12th is the Bengals' favorite spot. The worst team in the playoffs.

62nd percentile baby! Now that’s greatness! Fred can mention that the Bengals have the 8th most wins over the past 5 seasons, but it’s easily countered with the absolute worst record in the Playoffs of all Playoff teams during the same team. It’s true the Bengals are not the worst team in the NFL. That said, the FO’s propensity to accept middling performance and the low bar of a Wild Card Round loss ensures the team will not be a serious Super Bowl contender. The FO does not maximize opportunity, just profit making.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: You keep pimping the fact that Marvin has beaten playoff teams in the regular season, like that's a big feather in his cap.  What a Geoff thing to say. 

No I don't.  All I do is call out people when they say something that is not true.

I don't understand how to have anu sort of serious adult conversation with you guys.  It is like if abny dares to say that the Bengals are not the worst team in the leagvue then that person is delusional.

Again.  Go back and look at the quote I was responding to.  All I did was statre a fact to ciorrect a lie.  I never said Marvin was great.  All I did was speak the truth.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm still waiting for the time when I'm watching some silly tv show and someone will break in with : We interrupt this program to announce that  since 2011 the Cincinnati Bengals are 12th in the league in total wins against playoff teams. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming .

Boy! That would sure have viewers glued to the old boob tube! 

Are you also waitung for an announcer to claim that Marvin has never beaten a playoff team, because that would be equally ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote: No one denies Marvin has had some regular season success. 

Why did you refuse to read the quote I was responding to.  Here it is.

(02-09-2018, 03:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Marvin does not have the coaching skills to beat playoff teams

That is a lie.  All I did was correct a lie and I get attacked and accused of "propganda".

Why can't we discuss what people really say here?  
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Besides the playoff failures, Marvin's inability to perform under pressure was first shown in 2006 & 2007 when (both seasons) the Bengals needed to win the last game of the season to get into the playoffs and they lost both in epic fashion.

You obviously do not know how we lost those games or you would not be blaming Marvin.

A bad snap and a missed chip shot FG.  How the hell can you blame Marvin for that?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 03:08 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: 62nd percentile baby!  Now that’s greatness!  

Link to me ever claiming that was greatness.

People can not prove anything I say wrong so instead thtey make up things and pretend that I said them.  

That is a strawman argument and it is used by people who don't have a real argument.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Marvin loses to the Pats and Steelers all the time despite having = talent because he crumbles under the pressure during that week of coaching. It's really plain to see for anyone who's played competitive or high level sports.

Marvin has beaten both the Pats and the Steelers when they were playoff teams.  It's really plain to see for people who understand reality.

When exactly are you claiming that Marvin lost to the Pats when he had equal talent?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 02:57 PM)McC Wrote:   But the evidence is clearly in. 

What evidence are you talking about here McC?

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wait... my bringing up 2015 reminded me of something...

That was a great year for the Bengals. Russell Bodine was on the roster and started at Center and the offensive line was very good. Why is it that people want to give up on him and think he can't play well? Especially with a new position coach.

(02-10-2018, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps you should re-watch the Bengals from 2015.  Aside from the obvious Andy Dalton injury, the team had one major flaw.  They seriously struggled to convert critical, short yardage situations.  Teams discovered that they could simply load up on the middle of the line, overpower Bodine, and thwart the run or pass attempt.

The Bengals were 23rd in rushing YPC in 2015. Dalton has also had a very quick release time (often top-3), due to the necessity of getting it out before Bodine gets thrown into Dalton's face.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 05:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals were 23rd in rushing YPC in 2015. Dalton has also had a very quick release time (often top-3), due to the necessity of getting it out before Bodine gets thrown into Dalton's face.

IIRC, most of the "significant" running yards in 2015, came on plays that the run was kind of a surprise, like 3rd and 8, etc.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No I don't.  All I do is call out people when they say something that is not true.

I don't understand how to have anu sort of serious adult conversation with you guys.  It is like if abny dares to say that the Bengals are not the worst team in the leagvue then that person is delusional.

Again.  Go back and look at the quote I was responding to.  All I did was statre a fact to ciorrect a lie.  I never said Marvin was great.  All I did was speak the truth.
We all know we aren't the worst.  But you have to admit that we are far beyond bragging about regular season wins or, at least, we were.

Marvin is a guy who found his level and anyone can see what that is.  The frustration is that his level is not high enough.  The evidence is in, Counselor.   And Marvin is guilty.   Guilty of being pretty good sometimes but not when it really counts.

Maybe purgatory suits you and gives you the ability to point out his successes any time someone points out his failures.  If you put his successes in one stack and his failures in another next to it, which would be the higher pile?  Marvin is a fifty-fifty kind of guy. 

He absolutely drug us out of the dark days.  But that was a long time and three reboots ago.  He's had multiple rosters, coaches have come and gone.  And look where we are, picking 12th in the draft all these years later.

It's not like we're expecting a dynasty.  But we're hoping for more than purgatory.  Not the worst, far away from the best. Who wouldn't want to get out of that? 

We were right on the edge of it in 2015.  And where do we go from there?  Backwards.  And that's not good enough for another mulligan.  And that's what has people pissed off.  You call that the victim card.  So be it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote