Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OVER/UNDER on Draft Day Trades by Bengals
Hello,

I started thinking about all of the different Trade possibilities for the Bengals and thought it could be a nice Thread debate and prediction!

I'm in the camp that the Bengals need to acquire as many picks as possible b/c of the plethora of talent in this particular draft as well as helping out their new Franchise QB as much as possible.

So, here's my list of possible Trades that I'd either like for them to consider or complete.

1. Andy Dalton---Somehow, some way, get Dalton traded for a 3rd, 4th or 5th round selection this year. I don't care how they get it done, just do it!
2. Joe Mixon---I'm a big Mixon fan, but I don't think he's the type of RB geared for a Burrow led offense. The RB needs to be able to get into routes a lot more. He's decent as a WR, but not great. Hence, the reason why I feel they should try to trade him to someone like TB for a 2nd round pick. Then, get a Clyde Hellaire and/or someone like Gibson late in the draft.
3. Billy Price---Trade him to the Cowboys whose Center just retired out of nowhere. It's hard to find teams with 2 starting quality Centers on their roster willing to trade one of them. If Dallas doesn't get one by the 2nd round, they'll be dealing with us for a 4th or 5th rounder for him.
4. Carlos Dunlap---He's been discussed in trade possibilities before. If they get someone like Epenesa in Round 2, maybe they can trade Dunlap to a contender for a 3rd or 4th rounder?
5. Shawn Williams---I know he would garner a late round pick, but he is expendable at this stage; and, contenders may value him as a veteran Safety who shores up their back end if that's a weak link for them.
6. William Jackson---It seems like a lot of teams are trying to trade players going into their final year. Since the Bengals did bring in several new DBs, this could also be a trade possibility.

My guess will be that the Bengals will make (2) Trades during the draft. The 2 that seem most plausible to me at this point are Dalton and Price.

I'd love to know your predictions or comments.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking 1 on Saturday, and that is it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will go with two. One player (Dalton, Gio). One trade down (#33 or #65). And maybe we go get someone (Thuney?). We lose in terms of the cap if we trade Price, so I doubt that happens.

Could also see a minor trade late (Erickson, Schreck, Hart) if we can get anything for them.

But I think 2 is my number. Trade down at some point. Player at another.
Reply/Quote
I think you are slipping on Mixon's pass game ability

I also think this might be the year we get back to Mike Brown's way and just sit there and take guys with the picks we have, which happens to be the first pick in every round. Thats like his dream scenario.
Reply/Quote
I say 1 trade. I think we'll see a trade down at either 33 or 65 and that's it. I'd be surprised if they're able to trade a player, but I see Dalton & Price as the two most likely. It kind of depends how the draft goes.

If NE or JAX don't draft in a QB in the first 3 rounds, Dalton could go. Both teams are loaded with picks.

If DAL doesn't draft a Center in the first 3 rounds, Price could go. They have two 5ths and no 6ths. I see the 2nd 5th being most likely.
Reply/Quote
Hard to say, really. If their approach to the draft is anything like what we saw in free agency, we could be in store for a few surprises.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 05:08 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Hello,

I started thinking about all of the different Trade possibilities for the Bengals and thought it could be a nice Thread debate and prediction!

I'm in the camp that the Bengals need to acquire as many picks as possible b/c of the plethora of talent in this particular draft as well as helping out their new Franchise QB as much as possible.

So, here's my list of possible Trades that I'd either like for them to consider or complete.

1. Andy Dalton---Somehow, some way, get Dalton traded for a 3rd, 4th or 5th round selection this year. I don't care how they get it done, just do it!
2. Joe Mixon---I'm a big Mixon fan, but I don't think he's the type of RB geared for a Burrow led offense. The RB needs to be able to get into routes a lot more. He's decent as a WR, but not great. Hence, the reason why I feel they should try to trade him to someone like TB for a 2nd round pick. Then, get a Clyde Hellaire and/or someone like Gibson late in the draft.
3. Billy Price---Trade him to the Cowboys whose Center just retired out of nowhere. It's hard to find teams with 2 starting quality Centers on their roster willing to trade one of them. If Dallas doesn't get one by the 2nd round, they'll be dealing with us for a 4th or 5th rounder for him.
4. Carlos Dunlap---He's been discussed in trade possibilities before. If they get someone like Epenesa in Round 2, maybe they can trade Dunlap to a contender for a 3rd or 4th rounder?
5. Shawn Williams---I know he would garner a late round pick, but he is expendable at this stage; and, contenders may value him as a veteran Safety who shores up their back end if that's a weak link for them.
6. William Jackson---It seems like a lot of teams are trying to trade players going into their final year. Since the Bengals did bring in several new DBs, this could also be a trade possibility.

My guess will be that the Bengals will make (2) Trades during the draft. The 2 that seem most plausible to me at this point are Dalton and Price.

I'd love to know your predictions or comments.

I think the only realistic trade is one for Dalton where the Bengals eat some of his contract.  It helps get them closer or actually under the cap, and could yield a significant pick if they are willing to eat a substantial part of it...maybe $6-7 million?  Have no idea if they would actually do that, but if they cut him they may save more money but get no pick.  This way, they are essentially buying another draft pick.  Praying it would be as high as a third, but looking back at Tannehill's deal, it will be lucky to be a 4th.  Worked out well for Tennessee, though, so there's that.  

Mixon certainly COULD be traded for something like a 2nd round pick, but I think the Bengals really like him and he actually will be a great fit for a Burrow-led offense.  I think he was NOT as good a fit for previous offenses here, where he would often come off the field on passing downs and Gio would come in to simply help pickup blitzers.  If the Bengals are going to play to Burrow's strengths (Lord, please), they will have more empty sets and the RB could become a hot route.  Mixon is an excellent receiver and I think his talents as such are wasted.  So, too, are Gio's.  Here's to hoping we use our assets more in line with their strengths.

Price to the Cowboys is intriguing.  Might be a better fit there, and they have a clear need.  I don't see a trade, though, as Price's first round contract and the probability of the Bengals drafting a RG will make him a likely cap casualty.  The Bengals have Hopkins and Jordan as a backup center.  Price has no value here.  Don't get me wrong...I would love it if he somehow netted a pick, as he would have to go through waivers, and a trade with the cowboys is their only guaranteed way of getting him, but I just don't see teams lining up to sign the guy.  I will always wonder how much of his struggles was poor evaluation and how much has been his injuries.  

I give the rest an almost zero percent chance of happening.  The Bengals have high marks for Dunlap and WJIII, and there is next to no value for Williams. 

This will make the draft that much more exciting for us (if that is possible) in that every time we hear:  "there has been a trade involving a player", our ears will surely perk up.  

Put me down for two:  I think they may slide in one round (my guess would be Rd 4, and gain a 5th) and one player.  I am hoping it is Dalton.  It will be better for him, and I believe it will be better for Burrow to start taking the leadership role without Dalton here.  And I would love another pick.  Joe
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 01:45 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I will go with two. One player (Dalton, Gio). One trade down (#33 or #65). And maybe we go get someone (Thuney?). We lose in terms of the cap if we trade Price, so I doubt that happens.

Could also see a minor trade late (Erickson, Schreck, Hart) if we can get anything for them.

But I think 2 is my number. Trade down at some point. Player at another.

How do we lose in terms of the cap if we trade Price...does he have a big cap hit?  I should know more about the cap situations as a wannabe GM, but I focus on players and not the dollars.  I'd seriously like to know if you have the numbers.  
Reply/Quote
I say zero trades for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 05:33 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think you are slipping on Mixon's pass game ability

I also think this might be the year we get back to Mike Brown's way and just sit there and take guys with the picks we have, which happens to be the first pick in every round. Thats like his dream scenario.

I'm not slipping on Mixon's WR ability, I said it's decent. But, I'd rather have Hellaire in the 2nd round and his pass catching ability with Burrow than what Mixon gives along with his wanted 8-10 Million salary this or next year. (Or, disgruntled Franchise Tender). 

And you don't think Dalton gets traded during this draft? 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 08:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the only realistic trade is one for Dalton where the Bengals eat some of his contract.  It helps get them closer or actually under the cap, and could yield a significant pick if they are willing to eat a substantial part of it...maybe $6-7 million?  Have no idea if they would actually do that, but if they cut him they may save more money but get no pick.  This way, they are essentially buying another draft pick.  Praying it would be as high as a third, but looking back at Tannehill's deal, it will be lucky to be a 4th.  Worked out well for Tennessee, though, so there's that.  

Mixon certainly COULD be traded for something like a 2nd round pick, but I think the Bengals really like him and he actually will be a great fit for a Burrow-led offense.  I think he was NOT as good a fit for previous offenses here, where he would often come off the field on passing downs and Gio would come in to simply help pickup blitzers.  If the Bengals are going to play to Burrow's strengths (Lord, please), they will have more empty sets and the RB could become a hot route.  Mixon is an excellent receiver and I think his talents as such are wasted.  So, too, are Gio's.  Here's to hoping we use our assets more in line with their strengths.

Price to the Cowboys is intriguing.  Might be a better fit there, and they have a clear need.  I don't see a trade, though, as Price's first round contract and the probability of the Bengals drafting a RG will make him a likely cap casualty.  The Bengals have Hopkins and Jordan as a backup center.  Price has no value here.  Don't get me wrong...I would love it if he somehow netted a pick, as he would have to go through waivers, and a trade with the cowboys is their only guaranteed way of getting him, but I just don't see teams lining up to sign the guy.  I will always wonder how much of his struggles was poor evaluation and how much has been his injuries.  

I give the rest an almost zero percent chance of happening.  The Bengals have high marks for Dunlap and WJIII, and there is next to no value for Williams. 

This will make the draft that much more exciting for us (if that is possible) in that every time we hear:  "there has been a trade involving a player", our ears will surely perk up.  

Put me down for two:  I think they may slide in one round (my guess would be Rd 4, and gain a 5th) and one player.  I am hoping it is Dalton.  It will be better for him, and I believe it will be better for Burrow to start taking the leadership role without Dalton here.  And I would love another pick.  Joe

I agree with most of what you said. But, I'll disagree with Mixon. 
Mixon's WR ability is decent as I stated. But, I'd rather have Hellaire in the 2nd round and his pass catching ability with Burrow than what Mixon gives along with his wanted 8-10 Million salary this or next year. (Or, disgruntled Franchise Tender after this year). You'd think the Bengals would want to try to trade Mixon after next year anyway rather than deal with paying a RB 40-50 Million. They'd rather put that money into more important places on Defense, WR or OL. 
So, why not just trade him now and not deal with any of that stuff after you take Hellaire in the 2nd round and get a second 2nd round pick for Mixon? 
To me, it would be a great trade off. We'll see....
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 07:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hard to say, really.  If their approach to the draft is anything like what we saw in free agency, we could be in store for a few surprises.

I sure hope so! 

I guess I'm ready for them to blow everything up and gain young talent from this draft to surround Burrow. 

To me, no one is off the table, not even AJ. And I'm a huge AJ fan like most everyone else. 

This is going to be exciting!! 
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 07:38 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I agree with most of what you said. But, I'll disagree with Mixon. 
Mixon's WR ability is decent as I stated. But, I'd rather have Hellaire in the 2nd round and his pass catching ability with Burrow than what Mixon gives along with his wanted 8-10 Million salary this or next year. (Or, disgruntled Franchise Tender after this year). You'd think the Bengals would want to try to trade Mixon after next year anyway rather than deal with paying a RB 40-50 Million. They'd rather put that money into more important places on Defense, WR or OL. 
So, why not just trade him now and not deal with any of that stuff after you take Hellaire in the 2nd round and get a second 2nd round pick for Mixon? 
To me, it would be a great trade off. We'll see....

For one, I believe it sets an odd precedent if a guy is drafted, behaves and performs well (very well), and is traded away before the next contract.  Sure, it happens.  Oakland did it with Mack and Cooper.  But I personally don't like it, even for a RB.  When you state 40-50 million, remember that is broken down over 5-6 years, so saying the total amount to make it seem like a larger investment doesn't make a lot of sense.  The cap changes every year, and teams have other contract come due and other ones they will get out from under (Dalton).  

To be clear, I would not pay Mixon CMC money...they are different players asked to do different things.  I would start around $7.5 million per year and would not go over $9.  If he would not accept that, I would let him test the market.  

Mixon is a proven commodity as well.  You know he has matured and has NFL talent.  There are no guarantees that a CEH will be a Pro Bowl talent in the NFL. 

Lastly, someone has to be willing to make that trade...and I don't think any team would offer a high second rounder for Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 08:40 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: For one, I believe it sets an odd precedent if a guy is drafted, behaves and performs well (very well), and is traded away before the next contract.  Sure, it happens.  Oakland did it with Mack and Cooper.  But I personally don't like it, even for a RB.  When you state 40-50 million, remember that is broken down over 5-6 years, so saying the total amount to make it seem like a larger investment doesn't make a lot of sense.  The cap changes every year, and teams have other contract come due and other ones they will get out from under (Dalton).  

To be clear, I would not pay Mixon CMC money...they are different players asked to do different things.  I would start around $7.5 million per year and would not go over $9.  If he would not accept that, I would let him test the market.  

Mixon is a proven commodity as well.  You know he has matured and has NFL talent.  There are no guarantees that a CEH will be a Pro Bowl talent in the NFL. 

Lastly, someone has to be willing to make that trade...and I don't think any team would offer a high second rounder for Mixon.  

I figured you'd get what I meant by the investment of 40-50 Million over 4-5 years when you re-sign a player right? I'll be more specific next time. :)
Either way, If I'm the Bengals FO, regardless of how Ra Ra my RB is, it's now a new regime with a new Franchise QB who may have been better off with his best friend and RB from the National Championship team. And, it looks like the SB champs and Andy Reid thought that CEH was a really good bet. And it really pissed me off to see it. I would've liked for them to at least had that option available to them.

More and more teams are trying to get a player traded before their last years so they don't have to pay Top 5 salaries for positions that aren't as important to their success. RB unfortunately is one of those positions. Did you ever hear of the RB for the 49ers that made it to the SB last year? That's my whole point. These teams can always find a nice RB. And, it would've been nice if he were the franchise QB's best friend to boot. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote