Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round 2 possibly 3 prospects
Top picks for round 2 & possibly 3…
(using NFL.com with grading as NFL starter potential: grade >5.50)
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=allColleges&page=1&sortField=gradeSort&sortIsAscending=false&status=ALL

TEAM NEEDS (bold is rated instant starter, grade >/= 6.00):

LBs: Mack Wilson (Alabama), Germaine Pratt (NC State), Cameron Smith (USC)
T: Jawaan Taylor (Florida), Dalton Risner (Kansas State), Greg Little (Mississippi)
G: Cody Ford (Oklahoma), Conner Mcgovern (Penn State), Nate Davis (NC-Charlotte)
DT: Trysten Hill (Central Florida), Dre’mont Jones (Ohio State), Renell Wren (Arizona State)
QB: Drew Lock (Missouri), Ryan Finley (NC State), Jarrett Stidham (Auburn)
** Will Grier (West Virginia) & Tyree Jackson (Buffalo) were both rated as NFL back-ups.
TE: Irv Smith (Alabama), Kahale Warring (San Diego State), Dawson Knox (Mississippi)

TOP PLAYERS (bold >/= 6.00):

WR: D.K. Metcalf (Mississippi), Parris Campbell (Ohio State), A.J. Brown (Mississippi)
CB: Greedy Williams (LSU), Byron Murphy (Washington), Rock Ya-Sin (Temple)
C: Erik Mccoy (Texas A&M), Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi St.)
S: Chauncey Gardner (Florida), Taylor Rapp (Washington), Juan Thornhill (Virgina)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Greedy Williams is a very highly ranked CB but I can’t help but wonder if teams know of a character concern? I love Juan Thornhill here, but the Bengals aren’t as high on a safety. My guess is they might go ahead and take the LB Pratt or Mack Wilson, but it will be very difficult to pass on Cody Ford if he is still there.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they might go DE with a guy like Zach Allen out of Boston College. Long term answer at LDE and an immediate rotational player with Dunlap.

Hope to God they don’t go with the QB, Grier.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Greedy Williams is a very highly ranked CB but I can’t help but wonder if teams know of a character concern?  I love Juan Thornhill here, but the Bengals aren’t as high on a safety.  My guess is they might go ahead and take the LB Pratt or Mack Wilson, but it will be very difficult to pass on Cody Ford if he is still there.  

I have a sneaky suspicion that they might go DE with a guy like Zach Allen out of Boston College.  Long term answer at LDE and an immediate rotational player with Dunlap.

Greedy Williams is great at Press-coverage and is very fast.  He is not a sure tackler and I do not know his INT ratio but I believe Murphy is much better prospect. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:17 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Top picks for round 2 & possibly 3…
(using NFL.com with grading as NFL starter potential: grade >5.50)
https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/allPositions?college=allColleges&page=1&sortField=gradeSort&sortIsAscending=false&status=ALL

TEAM NEEDS (bold is rated instant starter, grade >/= 6.00):

LBs: Mack Wilson (Alabama), Germaine Pratt (NC State), Cameron Smith (USC)
T: Jawaan Taylor (Florida), Dalton Risner (Kansas State), Greg Little (Mississippi)
G: Cody Ford (Oklahoma), Conner Mcgovern (Penn State), Nate Davis (NC-Charlotte)
DT: Trysten Hill (Central Florida), Dre’mont Jones (Ohio State), Renell Wren (Arizona State)
QB: Drew Lock (Missouri), Ryan Finley (NC State), Jarrett Stidham (Auburn)
** Will Grier (West Virginia) & Tyree Jackson (Buffalo) were both rated as NFL back-ups.
TE: Irv Smith (Alabama), Kahale Warring (San Diego State), Dawson Knox (Mississippi)

TOP PLAYERS (bold >/= 6.00):

WR: D.K. Metcalf (Mississippi), Parris Campbell (Ohio State), A.J. Brown (Mississippi)
CB: Greedy Williams (LSU), Byron Murphy (Washington), Rock Ya-Sin (Temple)
C: Erik Mccoy (Texas A&M), Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi St.)
S: Chauncey Gardner (Florida), Taylor Rapp (Washington), Juan Thornhill (Virgina)

I don't think any additional OL pick will be an instant starter.
Reply/Quote
LB and CB are our biggest needs, but no way of knowing when we take what position because it depends on who is available.

After those two I would say TE and DT.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: LB and CB are our biggest needs, but no way of knowing when we take what position because it depends on who is available.

After those two I would say TE and DT.

Irv Smith from Alabama is out there at TE. He should go 2nd Round.

What would you say if we took DK Metcalf at WR? My logic is we get great production from Green and Boyd, but Green will be 31 and gets injured some. We really had little production from WR's other than those 2.

We could put all of our eggs in the Ross and Malone basket, or we could draft another WR like Metcalf. Then, IF he pans out, we have Metcalf and Boyd when Green retires in 3-4-5 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't think any additional OL pick will be an instant starter.

Correct. They'd be more depth and then they could takeover for Glenn.

So it's not a HUGE need. Unless, you think Glenn isn't good. He was below average to average most of last year. But, I don't see the Bengals benching him for a rookie.

Which makes me think they won't go OT again in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Irv Smith from Alabama is out there at TE. He should go 2nd Round.

What would you say if we took DK Metcalf at WR? My logic is we get great production from Green and Boyd, but Green will be 31 and gets injured some. We really had little production from WR's other than those 2.

We could put all of our eggs in the Ross and Malone basket, or we could draft another WR like Metcalf. Then, IF he pans out, we have Metcalf and Boyd when Green retires in 3-4-5 years.

We will draft one or two WRs at some point, but I don't think they will be a high priority.

I am not a big fan of Metcalf.  He'd probably be the best special teams gunner in the draft, but I don't know about WR.
Reply/Quote
I'm leaning CB. I'll take Murphy over Williams... have read Williams struggles in the run game, and with our LBs I'd like a corner I can trust at that.

Warming up to taking a WR. Can't have too many weapons, there's talent there, and while I'm sure the plan is to re-sign both Green and Boyd it does give you some insurance/flexibility if you can't.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:07 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I'm leaning CB. I'll take Murphy over Williams... have read Williams struggles in the run game, and with our LBs I'd like a corner I can trust at that.

Warming up to taking a WR. Can't have too many weapons, there's talent there, and while I'm sure the plan is to re-sign both Green and Boyd it does give you some insurance/flexibility if you can't.

There's a lot of ways we can go, but IF you force me to make the pick...I think I go WR or CB. I don't know much about Murphy.

One of the WR's though...that's exciting.
Reply/Quote
Yeah Byron Murphy is easily a better prospect then greedy who has some serious schematic issues if you want to play any zone coverages
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Basically anything that isn't a QB, K, P, FB, or LS I'd be fine with in round 2, including double dipping on the OL.

If Taylor or Ford are there go ahead and make that O-Line as deep as you can. Glenn and Boling, while not at the end of their careers, are getting up there (Boling, not Glenn, is our oldest O-Lineman by about 4 months). And as we've seen, good OL depth is invaluable. If they grab Ford and he sits a year, that's OK, but if something happens to either Boling or Miller it'd be a nice insurance policy to have. Same goes for Taylor, if he sits a year...fine. While taking T's in 1&2 will give most all of us PTSD flashbacks to Ogbuehi/Fisher, if it works this time they'd be set for a good long while. Plus I think Williams, Ford and Taylor are all better, more proven prospects than Ogbuehi or Fisher were.

If they take Irv Smith at TE, also fine with it, C.J.'s gotten better, but Smith'd likely be an upgrade at both blocking and receiving, and Eifert's health is at the absolute best a coin flip.

If for some reason Metcalf slipped to them at 10, I have no issue with taking a chance on him. Both, as mentioned by others before, as insurance should Boyd/A.J. not re-sign, or in case of injury. He can learn from one of the best in A.J., get eased in, and give the Bengals a legitimate 4 deep WR core to play with (assuming Ross does more this year from outside the red zone). The other WR's available aren't bad by any stretch, but that size/speed/strength combo that Metcalf has could be special if he's allowed time to refine his game.

I won't be upset if they go defense, the D sure as hell needs plenty of help at damn near all positions, so whatever route on D they go would be OK. I'm looking at it as several REALLY nice offensive prospects fell through round 1, and it seems the top of round 2 has far more potential elite talent on the offensive side than the defensive side. Should any of those offensive guys fall into the Bengals lap, I wouldn't blame them in the least bit for taking them and really turbo-charging the offense. It should be noted, I don't consider Irv Smith to be a round 1 guy that slipped, but his potential and the need to have something other than Uzi and Mr. IR at TE is certainly there.
Reply/Quote
I would be fine with OL, LB, CB... I'd rather get ahead of the OL issue, so I'd be cool with a guy like Ford or Taylor... I really think it is Mack Wilson or wait until the 3rd for a LB. CBs are always needed in a pass happy league.

Drew Lock may be good, but I still don't think this is the time to replace Andy.

I would not be mad with a WR pick here either. There wasn't a big run on them, so there are still some great players on the board.

I think we take a developmental TE in later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 01:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Greedy Williams is a very highly ranked CB but I can’t help but wonder if teams know of a character concern? I love Juan Thornhill here, but the Bengals aren’t as high on a safety. My guess is they might go ahead and take the LB Pratt or Mack Wilson, but it will be very difficult to pass on Cody Ford if he is still there.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they might go DE with a guy like Zach Allen out of Boston College. Long term answer at LDE and an immediate rotational player with Dunlap.

Greedy is soft and cannot tackle worth a shit, that is why he is falling.

If we go Corner i want Byron Murphy everytime over Greedy.

I want Ford, Risner, Pratt or Irv Smith the most tonight.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:00 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I would be fine with OL, LB, CB... I'd rather get ahead of the OL issue, so I'd be cool with a guy like Ford or Taylor... I really think it is Mack Wilson or wait until the 3rd for a LB. CBs are always needed in a pass happy league.

Drew Lock may be good, but I still don't think this is the time to replace Andy.

I would not be mad with a WR pick here either. There wasn't a big run on them, so there are still some great players on the board.

I think we take a developmental TE in later rounds.

I cant rule out Lock yet...   Not the most pending need but getting a guy on the team to learn for a year or two till they are ready wouldn't be a bad thing...  He has the arm but not the vision or accuracy  things which he could improve on over time.

Most likely we will look for his Heir Apparent after this season  (when they decided to extend Dalton or not)
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind us grabbing Justin Smith Zach Allen in the 2nd and Germaine Pratt in the 3rd.

other bfine favs for 2-3:

Greg Little
Parris Campbell
Max Sharping
D'Andre Walker
Dawson's (Creek) Knox
Vosean Joesph
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 02:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Correct. They'd be more depth and then they could takeover for Glenn.

So it's not a HUGE need. Unless, you think Glenn isn't good. He was below average to average most of last year. But, I don't see the Bengals benching him for a rookie.

Which makes me think they won't go OT again in the 2nd.

I'm totally on board with drafting another o-lineman if Ford, Taylor or McCoy is available.  However, if this happens, it will make me question Cordy's status with the team.  

I'm not saying this from a talent perspective, but a health one.  Hart got paid to start.  Williams got drafted to play right away.  Another guy added on day 2 makes me think that Glenn is the odd man out with his high cap number and tendency to get banged up.
Reply/Quote
Metcalf is the definition of a workout warrior. Look at his stats as an actual reciever, the dude was garbage. Not to mention he was bottom 5 in like every category important for a WR outside of the 40.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Greedy is soft and cannot tackle worth a shit, that is why he is falling.

If we go Corner i want Byron Murphy everytime over Greedy.

I want Ford, Risner, Pratt or Irv Smith the most tonight.

I looked at the Walter Football visits/workouts list for the Bengals and it didn't seem like they had much activity (other than pro days not listed) with CB. I'm starting to think we'll avoid CB even though the value seems there in the 2nd. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:32 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm totally on board with drafting another o-lineman if Ford, Taylor or McCoy is available.  However, if this happens, it will make me question Cordy's status with the team.  

I'm not saying this from a talent perspective, but a health one.  Hart got paid to start.  Williams got drafted to play right away.  Another guy added on day 2 makes me think that Glenn is the odd man out with his high cap number and tendency to get banged up.

Well, either Glenn or Hart, but yes.

Glenn was underwhelming last year. He has been hurt each of the last 3 years. I doubt he's ever really healthy all year.
Reply/Quote