Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubio To Rape Victims:'I Get It' But Have The Baby 'Irrespective Of The Circumstances
http://crooksandliars.com/2016/02/marco-rubio-rape-victims-i-get-it-have

Quote:Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) promised on Sunday that he would sign an abortion ban as president that provided exceptions for rape even though he preferred for pregnant victims to have their rapists' babies.

Following a Saturday night's Republican Presidential Debate on ABC News, host George Stephanopoulos noted during a Sunday interview that Rubio had been hammered for his belief that abortion was wrong even in cases of rape or incest.

"Abortion to me is not a political issue," Rubio insisted. "It's a human rights issue. And so, if [Jeb Bush] wants to make it a political issue, that's his right. For me, it's not."

"I do require an exception for life of the mother because I'm pro-life," he continued. "Number two, as I've said, if they pass a law in Congress that has exceptions, I'll sign it. Because I want to save lives."

"What do you say to that mom when you look her in the eye?" the ABC host wondered.

"It's a terrible situation," Rubio replied. "I mean, a crisis pregnancy, especially as a result of something as horrifying as that, I'm not telling you it's easy. I'm not here saying it's an easy choice. It's a horrifying thing that you've just described."

"I get it," he added. "I really do. And that's why this issue is so difficult. But I believe a human being, an unborn child has a right to live, irrespective of the circumstances of which they were conceived. And I know that the majority of Americans don't agree with me on that."

"And that's why any law that passed will almost certainly have exceptions. And I'll sign it."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I wonder if he would be accepting of having the "day after pill" included in hospital rape kits ?

I suppose we just should be happy his programming didn't malfunction, causing us to hear "Let's dispel this fiction once and for all that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing; he's undergoing a systematic effort to change this country and make America more like the rest of the world. If I'm elected we'll embrace what makes America the greatest country in the world" over and over again.
Hilarious
I have decided that this is the single toughest argument in current politics. It is the one that comes down to moral beliefs that are impossible to change. If a person believes that an abortion is the same as a murder then no argument about individual rights makes any difference. The argument always ends there.

In most of my poilitical debates I feel that I have strong information from history and/or other parts of the world to back up my arguments. But with abortion none of it matters. It just ends in a shouting match where neither side will budge.

Someday technology will advance to the point where it is possible to raise a fertilized egg to viability without a womb. At that point we can all start arguing about things like cost and responsibility.

Or if everyone agreed we could have a highly limited debate JUST about abortion rights in the third trimester.

Otherwise it will just be another moral-based debate that goes nowhere.
I'd have a much easier time listening to the pro-life and "go for adoption" folks if they weren't also so dead-set against legitimate unions of gay couples that have 0 abortions and can provide stable homes for all those unwanted heterosexual miracles.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reasonable. "I'd prefer that there are no abortions, and I know most disagree with me, so I'd sign a law that protected these exceptions that others want."
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-07-2016, 02:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Reasonable. "I'd prefer that there are no abortions, and I know most disagree with me, so I'd sign a law that protected these exceptions that others want."

That's pretty much what I got from it too.
(02-07-2016, 02:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd have a much easier time listening to the pro-life and "go for adoption" folks if they weren't also so dead-set against legitimate unions of gay couples that have 0 abortions and can provide stable homes for all those unwanted heterosexual miracles.

Or if they cared about what happens to the child after they are born.
(02-07-2016, 02:36 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Reasonable. "I'd prefer that there are no abortions, and I know most disagree with me, so I'd sign a law that protected these exceptions that others want."

Rubio doesn't seem like he will appease the far right or the far left.

But he seems "reasonable"

Translation.

"My morals are dictated by public opinion, but only enough to get elected.  Not one bit more."
(02-07-2016, 02:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or if they cared about what happens to the child after they are born.

Christie went into a sort of "I am pro life for everyone" spiel, but he only used examples that were relatively safe and involved sympathetic characters.  

On a side note, I like how none of them gave an actual answer to the question of would you require women to sign up for selective service, rather they all went on generic pro-military and pro women choosing to be in the military responses.
(02-07-2016, 02:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I wonder if he would be accepting of having the "day after pill" included in hospital rape kits ?

I suppose we just should be happy his programming didn't malfunction, causing us to hear "Let's dispel this fiction once and for all that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing; he's undergoing a systematic effort to change this country and make America more like the rest of the world. If I'm elected we'll embrace what makes America the greatest country in the world" over and over again.
Hilarious

I know you were just having some fun with the post. However I have always thought this was a reasonable compromise to the whole abortion debate. Not just rape victims. Both sides cover themselves.
(02-07-2016, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Translation.

"My morals are dictated by public opinion, but only enough to get elected.  Not one bit more."
Either that or he made his beliefs known, but realizes politics is a game of compromise and to get anything he wants passed he may be forces to make some concessions. Seems pretty pragmatic to me and little to do with his elect-ability; as he has made his morale position very clear. 

As to the question at hand: I do not feel a woman should be forced to carry a child, in which, she did not participate in the creation of voluntarily. 

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Abortions because of rape make up less than 1% of total abortions. Can we stop pretending it's a main reason abortion should be legal? With that said I do agree that abortions should be allowed in the cases of rape.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(02-07-2016, 03:44 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Abortions because of rape make up less than 1% of total abortions. Can we stop pretending it's a main reason abortion should be legal? With that said I do agree that abortions should be allowed in the cases of rape.

Forgive me if there is already a simple answer to this, but how do we determine the rape claim is legitimate?  If you can only get an abortion in the case of rape I would assume this country would have a lot more rape cases to hear.

Funny story, I'm from a super conservative town and my gf tried to get the morning after pill when we were both 20 and I had to stand out in the hallway while the doctor told her she was only getting it if she said I raped her. Fun stuff. Talk about a trust-building exercise!
(02-07-2016, 03:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I know you were just having some fun with the post.   However I have always thought this was a reasonable compromise to the whole abortion debate.  Not just rape victims.     Both sides cover themselves.

The first part was serious and I even thought of you while typing it.

But... I did use it as a segue.
Tongue
(02-07-2016, 04:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Forgive me if there is already a simple answer to this, but how do we determine the rape claim is legitimate?  If you can only get an abortion in the case of rape I would assume this country would have a lot more rape cases to hear.

Funny story, I'm from a super conservative town and my gf tried to get the morning after pill when we were both 20 and I had to stand out in the hallway while the doctor told her she was only getting it if she said I raped her.  Fun stuff.  Talk about a trust-building exercise!

This is a legitimate concern. If you allowed it in the case of rape you'd probably see rape accusations go up. There really isn't a simple answer to this question or really anything that has to do with abortion, it just gets very annoying to hear people pretend like abortions are being done because of rape way more than they actually are. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(02-07-2016, 01:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://crooksandliars.com/2016/02/marco-rubio-rape-victims-i-get-it-have

The abortion issue is definitely an important one, but let us not get caught up in diversions here. What we first need to do is dispel once and for all this fiction that Barack Obama doesn’t know what he’s doing. He knows exactly what he’s doing, that's why he's doing it in the first place.
(02-07-2016, 02:22 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I wonder if he would be accepting of having the "day after pill" included in hospital rape kits ?

Hilarious

I hadn't heard the "day after pill" idea before, that would be a very good idea, as long as it's an optional thing. There are other kinds of rape that don't necessarily get violent or end up in the hospital, i.e. adult relatives abusing child family members.
(02-07-2016, 05:15 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: The first part was serious and I even thought of you while typing it.

But... I did use it as a segue.
Tongue

It's one of the few reasonable compromises where both sides get something. The thing that holds this up these days is that the DNC position is to have an abortion up until actual birth.
(02-07-2016, 10:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's one of the few reasonable compromises where both sides get something.  The thing that holds this up these days is that the DNC position is to have an abortion up until actual birth.

Complete bullshit as usual.