Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Rudy G. Says ‘BLM’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’
I said recently in another thread that the 'BLM' phrase should drop the first word and replace it with 'All'. Now I dont know if I fully agree with what Rudy is saying here in terms of being 'racist', because I understand the BLM movement is aimed at the very rare unjustified deaths at the hands of a few cops. But I do agree with a lot of what he said overall. A lot of social energy is put forth in these protests for a handful of wrongful deaths, where is that energy for trying to prevent the other '99%' deaths of young blacks, let alone the energy in protesting the under-educated, single parent homes, violence & drug problems in the city hoods which according to some smart people is the root cause of a lot of these issues. Regardless at the end he is right, all races matter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rudy-giuliani-says-%E2%80%98black-lives-matter%E2%80%99-is-%E2%80%98inherently-racist%E2%80%99/ar-BBu9PPb?li=BBnb7Kz  w/video of him discussing this

Quote:Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani on Sunday said more black people in the U.S. are being killed by other black people than they are by police officers, adding that the phrase “black lives matter” is “inherently racist.”
Speaking on CBS’s Face the Nation, Giuliani addressed the racial divide in the country after the police shootings of two black men — Alton Sterling in Louisiana and Philando Castile in Minnesota — and the subsequent deadly attack on Dallas police officers during a Black Lives Matter demonstration.

“There’s too much violence in the black community,” he said. “A black will die 1% or less at the hands of the police and 99% of the hands of a civilian, most often another black.”

“So if you want to protect black lives, then you’ve got to protect black lives, not just against police, which happens rarely … and which happens every 14 hours in Chicago,” he added.

The former mayor also said parents have to teach their children how to respect police officers and that the “real danger to them” in the vast majority of situations is “other black kids who are going to kill them.”

“That’s the way they’re going to die,” Giuliani said.

“When you say black lives matter, that’s inherently racist,” he later added. “Black lives matter. White lives matter. Asian lives matter. Hispanic lives matter. That’s anti-American and it’s racist.”

an excerpt from CNN http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/politics/rudy-giuliani-black-lives-matter-inherently-racist/index.html  :

Quote:Giuliani also defended himself against criticism that he did not appreciate the problems faced by the black community, standing by his record as mayor of New York City from 1994 to 2001.

"That ain't the truth. The truth is, number one...I prosecuted more police officers than any other mayor in New York history," Giuliani told Fox. "I put 70 police officers in jail... I am perfectly capable of understanding when police officers act improperly and they should be made an example of when they do."
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Man oh man, I really like Rudy G. as a "get stuff done" sort of politician, but I don't care for him as a soundbyte-spewing pundit at all.
We've had this discussion before.  BLM *is* a specific thing.  The other stuff is discussed by other groups.  

It is the same as when I get told I must not care about cops because I post something about BLM or I get told I don't care about black lives because I psot something about the police.

You can care about both.

What Rudy G is doing to trying to make it seem like caring about one thing is wrong if you don't voice the same concern about the other.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Seems like he is just expressing the potential for divisiveness inherent in the title/concept. Regardless of the organization's intent, in this, the real world, this cause has spawned unrest on top of previous unrest.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

I was going to post this in the comics thread but...

[Image: 13631594_10153910872304401_8837469285732...e=5827CC50]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The Bureau of Land Management is racist?!?!? Mellow
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Quote:GeekAesthete explains:

Imagine that you’re sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don’t get any. So you say “I should get my fair share.” And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, “everyone should get their fair share.” Now, that’s a wonderful sentiment — indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad’s smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn’t solve the problem that you still haven’t gotten any!

The problem is that the statement “I should get my fair share” had an implicit “too” at the end: “I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else.” But your dad’s response treated your statement as though you meant “only I should get my fair share”, which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that “everyone should get their fair share,” while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That’s the situation of the “black lives matter” movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn’t work that way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn’t want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That’s not made up out of whole cloth — there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it’s generally not considered “news”, while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate — young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don’t treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don’t pay as much attention to certain people’s deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don’t treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase “black lives matter” also has an implicit “too” at the end: it’s saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying “all lives matter” is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It’s a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means “only black lives matter,” when that is obviously not the case. And so saying “all lives matter” as a direct response to “black lives matter” is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.
So if a young Latino is pulled over and unarmed, but ends up getting shot & killed by a cop, can those that protest it march in a BLM parade? Or an Arab-American, Asian-AmericanRedneck American, Native American American, or Samoan American? Or should they just form their own nifty social media tags? If so thats a lot in play: BLM, LLM, ALM, AsLM, RLM, NALM, SLM.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

So, no one get the point that RG is making? If the Black community want to see and end to Black males being shot by police, they need to get the criminal element out of their community. That is a long story to undertake, but it is the truth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Maybe the people who worry about their sons and daughters should sit back and wait for ALM and Rudy G to sort this stuff out. They've done a good job so far.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-11-2016, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no one get the point that RG is making?  If the Black community want to see and end to Black males being shot by police, they need to get the criminal element out of their community.  That is a long story to undertake, but it is the truth.

So if the gay community wants to stop the discrimination towards them, they need to stop being homosexual.  Ninja
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
"Why does BLM only focus on police deaths and not other problems facing the black community?"

"Why does the NRA only care about the 2nd Amendment and not any of the other ones?"

Interest groups often focus on one specific interest.

As for the "inherently racist" part, this is the tool used by those who oppose equal or support bigotry. Garbage Trump supporters who back him because his rhetoric matches their bigotry use this line to try to deflect away from the fact that their beliefs were found to be wrong decades ago.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-11-2016, 07:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no one get the point that RG is making?  If the Black community want to see and end to Black males being shot by police, they need to get the criminal element out of their community.  That is a long story to undertake, but it is the truth.

So law abiding black males need to focus on stopping law breaking black males if they expect cops not to kill them during traffic stops?

(07-11-2016, 11:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "Why does BLM only focus on police deaths and not other problems facing the black community?"

"Why does the NRA only care about the 2nd Amendment and not any of the other ones?"

Interest groups often focus on one specific interest.

As for the "inherently racist" part, this is the tool used by those who oppose equal or support bigotry. Garbage Trump supporters who back him because his rhetoric matches their bigotry use this line to try to deflect away from the fact that their beliefs were found to be wrong decades ago.

It's warped that you use an organization that is discriminatory by their very nature to try to illustrate how others oppose equal rights or support bigotry. But I have come to expect just about anything from the left.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2016, 11:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So law abiding black males need to focus on stopping law breaking black males if they expect cops not to kill them during traffic stops?

Yep.  Law-abiding and productive blacks need to undertake the burden of stopping their naughty brethren.  Peaceful Muslims need to address and stop their terror-loving compatriots.  Christians who aren't crazy need to rise up against Pat Robertson and/or those guys who blow up abortion clinics.  White males need to take time out of their lives to stop that affluenza guy and/or rapey white-bread frat boy d-bags.

What else can I say?  Um...thin people need to make a point to make fat people stop being fat.  Rich people need to do everything they can to stop poor people from being poor....hey, wait a minute!

Anywho, I find it interesting that some people feel the need to make any statement about a group or individual include themselves (under the guise of including EVERYONE).  Can't people say black lives matter?  Does black lives matter mean ONLY black lives matter?  Hell, even if it does I'm fine with letting people say it.

If "Black Lives Matter" means "only black lives matter" then scream it until your lungs bleed for all I care.  Geeeebuz people, just ignore it!
(07-11-2016, 11:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's warped that you use an organization that is discriminatory by their very nature to try to illustrate how others oppose equal rights or support bigotry. But I have come to expect just about anything from the left.   

How is it discriminatory by nature? 

Also, how far right do you have to be where you consistently call libertarians "the left?". 

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/if-black-lives-matter-isnt-racist-hate-group-then--4610

(07-11-2016, 11:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep.  Law-abiding and productive blacks need to undertake the burden of stopping their naughty brethren.  Peaceful Muslims need to address and stop their terror-loving compatriots.  Christians who aren't crazy need to rise up against Pat Robertson and/or those guys who blow up abortion clinics.  White males need to take time out of their lives to stop that affluenza guy and/or rapey white-bread frat boy d-bags.

What else can I say?  Um...thin people need to make a point to make fat people stop being fat.  Rich people need to do everything they can to stop poor people from being poor....hey, wait a minute!

Anywho, I find it interesting that some people feel the need to make any statement about a group or individual include themselves (under the guise of including EVERYONE).  Can't people say black lives matter?  Does black lives matter mean ONLY black lives matter?  Hell, even if it does I'm fine with letting people say it.

If "Black Lives Matter" means "only black lives matter" then scream it until your lungs bleed for all I care.  Geeeebuz people, just ignore it!

Meanwhile law abiding white male gun owners have no obligation to fix the issue of law breaking white male gun owners conducting the majority of mass shootings. 

(07-11-2016, 11:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Meanwhile law abiding white male gun owners have no obligation to fix the issue of law breaking white male gun owners conducting the majority of mass shootings. 

Obviously the sane need to make the insane lone wolf gunmen of the world more sane and less lone...while remaining every bit as gunman, though.
(07-11-2016, 11:50 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How is it discriminatory by nature? 

Also, how far right do you have to be where you consistently call libertarians "the left?". 

It is discriminatory (recognize a difference based on color) by it's nature because it excludes folks of other colors. 

Not sure how far to the right one has to be to consider a libertarian to be liberal.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]