Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rugby mocking the draft
I jumped around some with sites, so I may not have the dead accurate positions where players will fall, but believe I am in the ballpack.

Round 1 - Byron Murphy II, Texas, DT - Great against the run. Can push the pocket. Instant starter that upgrades the pass rush and run defense occupying the vacuum left by DJ Reader.

Round 2 - Cooper Beebe, Kansas State, IOL - Can step in immediately and take over at LG and instantly making Brown and Karras play better as they do not have to cover for/babysit Volsen. Can play RT if needed, so an option for stepping in for Trent Brown if he cannot stay healthy. Sadly, I am still hoping Carman comes around and turns into a solid tackle... Tha said, RT is likely a huge need next season.

Round 3a – Knyree Jackson, Oregon, CB – Fantastic size, 6”4”, 194. Willing tackler, high football IQ and an effective blitzer. Great at tracking the ball in the air, and think he could step in as the CB to tap to shut down the opposing team's TE.

Round 3b - Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia, C – Team captain, good football IQ. Could step in next season for Karras. Fills a hole for multiple seasons.

Round 4 - Ben Sinnott, Kansas State, TE - Tight end, fullback, he can do it all. Gives Burrow a lot of options and a massive upgrade to the TE room.

Round 5 – T'Vondre Sweat, Texas NT – If he falls this far, I am all about drafting him as a deep discount value. Cannot end up any worse than that other fatty the Bengals drafted from LSU...

Round 6 - Cornelius Johnson, Michigan, WR – Very good size, 6'3” 212, is a deep threat with good ball tracking skills. Effective, willing run blocker. Has technique issues which can hopefully be addressed by the coaching staff.

Round 7 - Isiah Davis, South Dakota State, RB - Good power and short yardage back. PFF grades him highly in that regard, and as a outside zone runner and goal line back I was pleased with the find, so forgive the excessive info on this last pick.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-class-best-at-everything-running-backs

POWER GRADE: ISAIAH DAVIS, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (92.1)
Davis flashed the ability to remain patient for his blocking to develop before attacking creases with little hesitation. That approach fit South Dakota State’s power-heavy scheme, a concept in which Davis was able to generate a rush of 10 or more yards on over 29.3% of his carries. That explosive ability allowed Davis to produce a 54.7% first-down/touchdown rate on power runs, the highest among rookie prospects.

GOAL-TO-GO RUSHING GRADE: ISAIAH DAVIS, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (84.5)
The Jackrabbits deployed Davis as a primary threat in goal-to-go situations frequently, and he rewarded them with excellent production. Davis tallied 14 rushing touchdowns near the goal line, equating to a phenomenal 60.9% conversion rate, the highest among this year’s prospects.

OVERALL REDZONE GRADE: ISAIAH DAVIS, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (86.5)
Davis proved nearly unstoppable for FCS defenses in the red zone. Inside the opposing 20-yard line, the South Dakota State back converted on over 51.3% of his attempts due largely to his quality 0.26 missed tackles forced per attempt.

OUTSIDE ZONE GRADE: ISAIAH DAVIS, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE (90.4)
The FCS standout was very effective in reading his blocking and picking lanes to attack, which allowed him to prosper in outside zone concepts. Davis managed an impressive 7.5 yards per carry in addition to producing a first down or touchdown on over 29.7% of his outside zone attempts.

UDFA for punter. Assuming Higgin sticks with the Bengals this season, if not, the first pick in any trade deal would be used to secure a RT to start next season, and the other pick I would go after a pure slot WR ideally, but the best for the team wins out.
Reply/Quote
I would like this even if the OT or die fans won't, I understand and Beebe CAN play RT as you say Rugby. Got my boy Byron Murphy
to really up our physicality on the DL to really stop the run and help rush the passer. Beebe would be an instant upgrade over Volson
no question, Volson actually has played RT as well so he could be an option there too if TB goes down.

Really like Khyree Jackson with his size and physicality, needs to learn to not be so grabby at the NFL level as he will get called for a
lot of PI's if he doesn't clean up this part of his game. Pran Granger is another more than solid OL pick and really helps the interior.

Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this Draft, love everything about him on top of his versatility. Perfect Bengal pick. Really like
Sweat in the 5th round and that is where I expect him to go after his DWI. Cornelius Johnson is a very good pick this late, I think
Troy Walters our WR coach can fix his technique issues.

Thanks for the info on Isaiah Davis, I saw him run in one game as he was pretty local for me and he had like 150 yards and a couple
TD's. I love RB's with good vision that know how to be patient and let their blocking set up before hitting holes. Davis is this type of
Back, he is great at breaking tackles where we really need to improve at RB. Zack Moss and Davis would do this.

Good job Rugby, I like it. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2024, 05:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would like this even if the OT or die fans won't, I understand and Beebe CAN play RT as you say Rugby. Got my boy Byron Murphy
to really up our physicality on the DL to really stop the run and help rush the passer. Beebe would be an instant upgrade over Volson
no question, Volson actually has played RT as well so he could be an option there too if TB goes down.

Really like Khyree Jackson with his size and physicality, needs to learn to not be so grabby at the NFL level as he will get called for a
lot of PI's if he doesn't clean up this part of his game. Pran Granger is another more than solid OL pick and really helps the interior.

Ben Sinnott is my 2nd favorite TE in this Draft, love everything about him on top of his versatility. Perfect Bengal pick. Really like
Sweat in the 5th round and that is where I expect him to go after his DWI. Cornelius Johnson is a very good pick this late, I think
Troy Walters our WR coach can fix his technique issues.

Thanks for the info on Isaiah Davis, I saw him run in one game as he was pretty local for me and he had like 150 yards and a couple
TD's. I love RB's with good vision that know how to be patient and let their blocking set up before hitting holes. Davis is this type of
Back, he is great at breaking tackles where we really need to improve at RB. Zack Moss and Davis would do this.

Good job Rugby, I like it. Smirk

I agree with the grabby aspect of Khyree, but question how that translates to the NFL, with the refing being so questionable.

I was torn because I had some favorites from other mocks and posts, like Matu late for OT and absolutely in love with Wilson at WR in the third, so avoided some things for a somewhat fresher take.

I am a fanboy for Isaiah Davis, and hope I am not marking out, as I have done in the past for other picks.

I may make a thread on that in JN soon... hmm...
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2024, 08:35 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I agree with the grabby aspect of Khyree, but question how that translates to the NFL, with the refing being so questionable.

I was torn because I had some favorites from other mocks and posts, like Matu late for OT and absolutely in love with Wilson at WR in the third, so avoided some things for a somewhat fresher take.

I am a fanboy for Isaiah Davis, and hope I am not marking out, as I have done in the past for other picks.

I may make a thread on that in JN soon... hmm...

It is all good, also like Matu and Roman Wilson.

I think Isaiah Davis fits perfectly for what we need at RB. We have the speedster in Chase Brown, we now have the Shotgun unpredictable 
pass blocking RB in Zack Moss, we just need a short yardage hard to tackle RB and Davis fits the bill.
Reply/Quote