Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of those cool old buildings
This place is along the way where we sometimes go to eat.. There's probably no reason it still exists, but it does..just east of Elgin SC.. Yes, that is part of a tree growing through part of the roof..
[Image: pmOfUzpTj]
I'll see if I can get a better shot not so blurry .

Better? 
[Image: pm4YwTRfj]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Stuff like this always interests me....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Old school house ?

Be a good place to metal detect I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 06:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Stuff like this always interests me....

Me too! Actually like the top pic better. Kind of goes with the age of the building.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 09:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Old school house ?

Sure looks like it.  Most of these old building still standing are schools or churches.

I was in a doctors office recently and they had a cool book called "Abandon Places".  It was one of those big, slick, hardbacked coffee table books full of photos.  Really interesting.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure looks like it.  Most of these old building still standing are schools or churches.

I was in a doctors office recently and they had a cool book called "Abandon Places".  It was one of those big, slick, hardbacked coffee table books full of photos.  Really interesting.

Vice Channel has a pretty cool docu-series called Abandoned.  I'd say you'd dig it.  I find it fascinating.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2018, 12:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sure looks like it.  Most of these old building still standing are schools or churches.

(10-09-2018, 06:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: Vice Channel has a pretty cool docu-series called Abandoned.  I'd say you'd dig it.  I find it fascinating.

There's a bunch of those old one room school houses and churches in my neck of the woods many of them still standing. Mid 1800's to early 1900's. I've metal detected on a couple and found some pretty cool stuff. Crotal bells, horse shoes, large cents and so on. I found a softball tournament medal from 1930's at one site, just all kinds of stuff.

I really enjoy digging up history. It's just so cool seeing stuff that's a hundred years old for the first time in who knows how long ?
Reply/Quote
This one is probably privately owned and the owner would probably shoot me so... For the sake of me not getting shot for trespassing I'm not going in with a metal detector .

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 12:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: This one is probably privately owned and the owner would probably shoot me so... For the sake of me not getting shot for trespassing I'm not going in with a metal detector .

It would be better to obtain permission first. I usually use the we'll actually help clean up the lawn and we do, there's always tons of can slaw (soda cans hit by lawnmower), pull tabs, misc.junk and so on. I've been surprised at the places I've got permission.

You can look up the owner at nearly all county auditors websites these days.

This is a really cool site to see where old homes, schools, buildings and so on were back in the day.

https://www.historicaerials.com/
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 12:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: This one is probably privately owned and the owner would probably shoot me so... For the sake of me not getting shot for trespassing I'm not going in with a metal detector .

If it was sitting in a field of weeds it is probably safe to poke around without permission, but someone has kept that lot mowed and trimmed.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2018, 11:22 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's a bunch of those old one room school houses and churches in my neck of the woods many of them still standing. Mid 1800's to early 1900's. I've metal detected on a couple and found some pretty cool stuff. Crotal bells, horse shoes, large cents and so on. I found a softball tournament medal from 1930's at one site, just all kinds of stuff.

I really enjoy digging up history. It's just so cool seeing stuff that's a hundred years old for the first time in who knows how long ?

Yes, I love that stuff too.  There are still several of them here, and in my hometown.  A few of them have been converted to homes now.

Reply/Quote
I'll just keep it as one of those places I drive by once in awhile. There's plenty of old buildings out this way to go poking around if I was so inclined,  but I'm ok just looking from a distance most of the time. 
Back when my son and I were in the foreclosure clean out business we had our share of old places to poke around in and got to keep most anything we found back then. A lot of them get bought up then foreclosed on at some point..

Reply/Quote
Looks kind of odd with the lawn care.
Reply/Quote