Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rule 14 Section 1 Article 3 Exception 1
http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf   (pg 65)

A foul against an official is not part of a Multiple Foul and will be enforced in addition to any other foul.

Not trying to start shit or beat a dead horse, but with all that I've heard and read about the Pac Man/Porter penalty I thought that I'd look it up myself in the rulebook. I know the first reaction is going to be that Porter should have been called and the NFL admitted this when fining Porter and even though the don't truly offset, they should cancel each other out....Move it forward 15 for Jones and then back 15 for Porter. But....the NFL also fined Wallace Gillberry for his part in the festivities on the field. So in fining Gillberry the NFL admits that it should have called a penalty on him as well. In this case his and Porters penalties would have offset and the Jones penalty stands alone as per the rules and the ball ends up being spotted exactly where it was.

I'd post this in the JN form but I know that it is against the rules for me to do so, plus Im sure it would go over like a fart in church there.
[Image: 12417656_10208481126928364_5227831409754...e=5702BE1D]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:34 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net/live/1807/2015_nfl_rule_book_final.pdf   (pg 65)

A foul against an official is not part of a Multiple Foul and will be enforced in addition to any other foul.

Not trying to start shit or beat a dead horse, but with all that I've heard and read about the Pac Man/Porter penalty I thought that I'd look it up myself in the rulebook. I know the first reaction is going to be that Porter should have been called and the NFL admitted this when fining Porter and even though the don't truly offset, they should cancel each other out....Move it forward 15 for Jones and then back 15 for Porter. But....the NFL also fined Wallace Gillberry for his part in the festivities on the field. So in fining Gillberry the NFL admits that it should have called a penalty on him as well. In this case his and Porters penalties would have offset and the Jones penalty stands alone as per the rules and the ball ends up being spotted exactly where it was.

I'd post this in the JN form but I know that it is against the rules for me to do so, plus Im sure it would go over like a fart in church there.

Except for the fact that Gilberry was fined for actions against Porter, who was illegally on the field, so therefore no penalty should have been thrown against Gilberry because you can't flag someone for acting against someone who was on the field illegally.

That's common sense. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except for the fact that Gilberry was fined for actions against Porter, who was illegally on the field, so therefore no penalty should have been thrown against Gilberry because you can't flag someone for acting against someone who was on the field illegally.

That's common sense. 

So if whoever was pushed by Peko turned around and broke his jaw with an uppercut, he couldn't have been flagged since Peko was illegally on the field?

And this isn't even considering the fact that coaches are allowed to be on the field during an injury time out, so simply being on the field wouldn't have been flagged.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 07:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except for the fact that Gilberry was fined for actions against Porter, who was illegally on the field, so therefore no penalty should have been thrown against Gilberry because you can't flag someone for acting against someone who was on the field illegally.

That's common sense. 

A) You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that Porter's fine was an admission by the NFL that he should have been penalized and then say the fine on Gillberry isn't an admission of a penalty.  

B) Show me the rule that says that you cannot commit a penalty against someone who is committing a penalty.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 08:22 PM)6andcounting Wrote: So if whoever was pushed by Peko turned around and broke his jaw with an uppercut, he couldn't have been flagged since Peko was illegally on the field?

And this isn't even considering the fact that coaches are allowed to be on the field during an injury time out*, so simply being on the field wouldn't have been flagged.

*Head coaches and trainers are allowed, as well as players coming in as substitutions. Other coaches are only allowed with the ref's permission, which Porter (not the head coach) did not have or someone would've brought it up by now.

This has been said ever since Adam Jones' tirade; how do you not know that by now?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
Dead Horse

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

That's common sense. 

That's your idea of common sense?

Someone else's penalty does not give you carte blanche* to commit your own.  You might have a case if Porter was in Gilberry's face or physically confronting him, but he was nowhere near him and was not inciting him personally.  Gilberry approached him from behind and from several yards away.  Should've been a penalty, no question.  You can absolutely flag that.  

The Peko example above is a good one.  Had one of the Steelers shoved or physically retaliated in any way, it would have offset Peko's penalty. His actions did not give them permission to do anything they wanted to him.  

*If you don't know the term you can look it up here 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 12:07 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: *Head coaches and trainers are allowed, as well as players coming in as substitutions. Other coaches are only allowed with the ref's permission, which Porter (not the head coach) did not have or someone would've brought it up by now.

This has been said ever since Adam Jones' tirade; how do you not know that by now?

The refs were allowing him to be on the field, the same why 9 Bengals coaches were allowed on the field. Serious question ,in the history of the NFL, has what you are asking be flagged ever actually been called even just once?
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 08:59 AM)6andcounting Wrote: The refs were allowing him to be on the field, the same why 9 Bengals coaches were allowed on the field. Serious question ,in the history of the NFL, has what you are asking be flagged ever actually been called even just once?

Those '9 Bengals coaches' were trainers, unless you've seen a video or picture I haven't. 

I don't recall an assistant coach ever being flagged, no. Then again, I don't recall ever seeing an assistant coach out on the field unless they're within 5 yards of their own sideline during a team timeout. I think assistant coaches know to stay the hell away from the opposing team huddle.

Well, most of them anyways. There is always that one idiot who just has to be an exception.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 08:59 AM)6andcounting Wrote: The refs were allowing him to be on the field, the same why 9 Bengals coaches were allowed on the field. Serious question ,in the history of the NFL, has what you are asking be flagged ever actually been called even just once?

The nine Bengals coaches were outside the numbers, not in among  the players which is the purpose of the rule. 

As to the OP, and maybe I'm wrong, but that reads like you can enforce two penalties.  Where usually one is accepted and one is declined, you can access both it along with another penalty if there is one.  Which they did.

But since I've been of the opinion that if you don't fumble you win the game, none of this really matters either way to me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Is there a new petition to give the Bengals the game yet because of this?
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
You cry babies are still talking about this.......... Move the **** on man, we'll see each other next season.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 04:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: Dead Horse

Yes, but I think a horse worth beating since we've all had time to cool off and read the rules and gain some clarity to the whole situation.  
Reply/Quote
It really isn't worth discussing whether or not Porter was allowed on the field and whether or not the Bengals coaches were on the field too. It doesn't matter.

Porter was fined for his actions and therefore should have received a penalty.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 10:50 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The nine Bengals coaches were outside the numbers, not in among  the players which is the purpose of the rule. 

As to the OP, and maybe I'm wrong, but that reads like you can enforce two penalties.  Where usually one is accepted and one is declined, you can access both it along with another penalty if there is one.  Which they did.

But since I've been of the opinion that if you don't fumble you win the game, none of this really matters either way to me.

That's because you're sensible enough to not think that the refs handed this one to the Steelers on a platter.  Others, however, aren't so sensible.  
Reply/Quote
It was a present from the NFL.

Everyone knows it ,including the NFL.

I think you guys know it too.

Accept your present , already.

All the excuses just show that you don't appreciate it.

The words out everybody knows.

Please stop ,your embarrassing yourself.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 10:50 AM)michaelsean Wrote: As to the OP, and maybe I'm wrong, but that reads like you can enforce two penalties.  Where usually one is accepted and one is declined, you can access both it along with another penalty if there is one.  Which they did.

Im not sure what you are asking but I'm just addressing what I've seen written and heard on talk shows about how Joey Porters penalty should have offset (or canceled out) Jones penalty, if they had called one on JP; and how JPs fine is an admission that one should have been called. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 11:36 AM)tigerseye Wrote: It was a present from the NFL.

Translation: Bengals fans have whined their fill of this and decided to move on.  Therefore, no one else is not allowed to bring the subject up.  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 11:36 AM)tigerseye Wrote: It was a present from the NFL.

Your grammar is embarrassing.
(01-22-2016, 11:20 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: You cry babies are still talking about this.......... Move the **** on man, we'll see each other next season.

'Move the **** on' because why bother to objectively look at the truth when you can continue to believe that the Bengals were screwed on that play? 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2016, 11:41 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Im not sure what you are asking but I'm just addressing what I've seen written and heard on talk shows about how Joey Porters penalty should have offset (or canceled out) Jones penalty, if they had called one on JP; and how JPs fine is an admission that one should have been called. 

What I'm saying is it looks like you can enforce two penalties against a team if one of them is against an official.  Meaning one isn't declined and one accepted, but both can be accepted.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote