Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rule Clarification???
Dak Prescott's ill-fated QB keeper that killed time is all the discussion today.

I was wondering about this:

What if Prescott, instead of going down, fired the ball to the sideline (though SLIGHTLY backwards) and it went out of bounds. That would be a fumble, but he would get the yardage at the place the ball went out of bounds, right?

Wouldn't the clock also stop?

If that is true, that might be a legitimate play in the future?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dak Prescott's ill-fated QB keeper that killed time is all the discussion today.

What if Prescott, instead of going down, fired the ball to the sideline (though SLIGHTLY backwards) and it went out of bounds.  That would be a fumble, but he would get the yardage at the place the ball went out of bounds, right?

I don't see why not
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dak Prescott's ill-fated QB keeper that killed time is all the discussion today.

What if Prescott, instead of going down, fired the ball to the sideline (though SLIGHTLY backwards) and it went out of bounds.  That would be a fumble, but he would get the yardage at the place the ball went out of bounds, right?

There is a rule preventing this exact scenario from occurring. 

NFL Rules 4.7.1 ILLEGAL ACTS

Quote:A team is not permitted to conserve time after the two-minute warning of either half by
committing any of these acts:[...]
(d) throwing a backward pass out of bounds;
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:22 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There is a rule preventing this exact scenario from occurring. 

Wow. Impressive bit of knowledge. Do they say what the penalty is? Maybe a ten-second runoff?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:22 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There is a rule preventing this exact scenario from occurring. 

KillerGoose dropping knowledge!
Reply/Quote
I feel like they would've ran time off the clock for doing that..could be wrong.
Reply/Quote

Even though it is against the rules I am giving you rep for thinking of this.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Even though it is against the rules I am giving you rep for thinking of this.

First playoff win, first rep from Old Fred!

Truly a breakthrough season!
Reply/Quote

Thanks man.  It would be kind of fun if that rule didn't exist and Burrow busted that out to help them win a game.  

I still think the fake flea-flicker was one of the coolest ideas I have seen in a long time.  Wonder if we won't see it again.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 05:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: First playoff win, first rep from Old Fred!

Truly a breakthrough season!

Its -190 degrees in hell.

Reply/Quote