Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Run Blocking and Runners Looked Weak To Me
(08-15-2021, 12:24 PM)kevin Wrote: OK, fine.  I've changed name of thread.  Instead of How Did Bengals Look In Preseason Game One ?, that is gone. Replaced by Run Blocking and Runners looked Weak To Me.   Now on this people can either agree or disagree.  That was my take on the game. I saw no improvement on Run Blocking in the 1st Half from the last few years awful run blocking. 

I agree. I wasn't too impressed with the run blocking or the running game in general, other than Evan's and Patrick worked really hard to get the yards they did. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 01:42 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I think you can't take much away from preseason games in "We can't run block" or "We can't run".  Preseason is this weird mix of starters and backups, and then works down the depth chart.  I think the better way to view preseason is through individual accomplishments. Joe Mixon had 1 attempt for 3 yards.  The line was cycling pretty heavily.  None of that is indicative of what we will see through the season.

I think that my impressions are that we have good depth at RB.  I think Evans will be able to fill a similar role to what Gio did last season.  Patrick looked really good and may challenge Perine in the near future.

I liked the blocking a lot better than last year, but it still needs work.  Most of the major issues I saw on the line came from Vogel, who honestly is a camp body.  I was impressed with Reiff's ability to get wide on the Chase screen.  I think our rookies are going to need time to develop.  Price looked better than expected, but I still don't trust him.

Our defense looked really good.  Ossai impressed.  Hendrickson had a good first drive.  In the second half, Bachie impressed and looks like he could become a depth piece.

For players that looked like they had no business being on the field:
Tony Brown- He was being exploited so hard I couldn't even tell you what other CBs were on the field with him.  Him being on the field hindered everyone else from being able to shine.
Mike Thomas- Still has fumble issues, at best would be our WR5, I'm partial to Stanley Morgan in that spot, although Irwin could compete for that spot if he wasn't being thrown balls by....
Kyle Shurmur- Just cut him now.  Camp body isn't even accurate.  If something did force us to play him....fingers crossed it never happens....we'd go sign someone else anyway.  Hard to evaluate anything from the offense in the second half he was so bad.
Vogel- Undrafted rookie tackle that didn't play well at all.  Nothing really good to comment about him.  But its not as if we had high hopes for him coming in.  Maybe he can improve on the practice squad being young...

Don't forget Sutherland.

Dude sucks and is a penalty machine.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Outside of the one rep at LT D'Ante Smith had a really solid game which considering those were his first snaps at Guard in his Career it was impressive.

I wonder if he will get reps at RG with the first team this week.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 11:50 AM)kevin Wrote: I saw no running lanes opening. Same old story. Runners looked like they were running into a brick wall. I saw no run blocking in 1st half. Back-up runners looked questionable also. I did not see a team that is going to be able to run the ball in the AFC North.

Hard to tell from just the numbers, but I have not ha a chance to watch the game yet.

First half there were zero runs for loss or zero gain.  So our RBs were not getting completely stuffed.  Other than the two goal line runs 9 of our 12 runs went for at least 3 yards.

Don't know how long first teamers played on both sides, but it does not look like our running game was shut down.  And you have to remember that the Bucs have every single starter returning from the NUMBER ONE RUSH DEFENSE.
Reply/Quote
I thought Evans was amazing yesterday... Patrick was okay clearly aided by the 1 run with a minute left.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to tell from just the numbers, but I have not ha a chance to watch the game yet.

First half there were zero runs for loss or zero gain.  So our RBs were not getting completely stuffed.  Other than the two goal line runs 9 of our 12 runs went for at least 3 yards.

Don't know how long first teamers played on both sides, but it does not look like our running game was shut down.  And you have to remember that the Bucs have every single starter returning from the NUMBER ONE RUSH DEFENSE.

I didn't see Shaq barret or Suh play last night..
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:36 PM)Tony Wrote: I didn't see Shaq barret or Suh play last night..

Barrett played.

Reply/Quote
Ran all over them, Evans just went too wide at times which took down our numbers.

Prince was fantastic and Price looked more than good for once, Carman was a mauler. Patrick was great.

As others said, don't know what game you were watching Kev.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:36 PM)Tony Wrote: I didn't see Shaq barret or Suh play last night..

That's cause the OL erased them...
Reply/Quote
D'Ante Smith exploding to the second level and blowing up a linebacker.

Love that he continues to harass that linebacker until the whistle lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:25 PM)Synric Wrote: D'Ante Smith exploding to the second level and blowing up a linebacker.

Love that he continues to harass that linebacker until the whistle lol.

Wow, had to watch that a few times he is so quick. Playing LG and just so damn aggressive getting to the second level.  Shocked

Love this pick more and more. Cool
Reply/Quote
I don't think you remember how many times the RB was tackled in the backfield or the Oline was literally just pushed backwards last year. I don't recall really seeing that at all this game. As Fred posted, almost all runs were for 3+ positive yards which is drastically different than last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 12:38 PM)Whatever Wrote: Evans has talent, but he's also unfortunately one of those guys that's trying to hit a home run every carry and tries to bounce it outside all the time instead of cramming it into the hole and taking the 2-3 yards that are there.
That’s a very common tendency for many young rbs coming into the league. Darrell Henderson did the same thing his rookie year. I noticed it a bit too, but also saw him kick outside on a run that kept the play from being a negative loss. I’m very optimistic about Evans. Props to the Bengals for seeing something I’m him while many were sleeping on his talent. Hope he continues to impress and improve.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:37 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't think you remember how many times the RB was tackled in the backfield or the Oline was literally just pushed backwards last year. I don't recall really seeing that at all this game. As Fred posted, almost all runs were for 3+ positive yards which is drastically different than last year.

Pollack is certainly not Turner. This OL looks patient, focused and with aggression and they look physical out there.

They looked defensive last year playing on their back feet and were using the 2 hand punch method which is a gamble.

Night and day. So true.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pollack is certainly not Turner. This OL looks patient, focused and with aggression and they look physical out there.

They looked defensive last year playing on their back feet and were using the 2 hand punch method which is a gamble.

Night and day. So true.

Yes, and wait till Pollack gets them in the film room to break down their errors to them and corrects them.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 03:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, and wait till Pollack gets them in the film room to break down their errors to them and corrects them.

Love it. Could be a great year if we improve this much in the trenches. Starts from the inside out.

We have the weapons on O and the Secondary on D to compete with anybody.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Barrett played.

Suh played as well. Reiff manhandled him on 2 snaps and everyone else stonewalled him as well. Zero factor on any plays. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Not posting this because of the Carman/Sewell Comment but trying to show how excellent D'Ante Smith was last night. Smith deserves some 1st string reps against Washington which would be an great test for him.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 04:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Suh played as well. Reiff manhandled him on 2 snaps and everyone else stonewalled him as well. Zero factor on any plays. 

Rock on.  Rock On

(08-15-2021, 04:26 PM)Synric Wrote:
Not posting this because of the Carman/Sewell Comment but trying to show how excellent D'Ante Smith was last night. Smith deserves some 1st string reps against Washington which would be an great test for him.

Just watched the game condensed a second time and D'Ante played fantastic and recovered a RB fumble.

Agree, he is pushing for a starting spot already at some position which is great news, he plays with fire and intensity. 

But D'Ante is focused and yeah Carman had a good first preseason game. Really liking our rookie O-lineman. 

Trey Hill had a couple nice blocks late in the game but he also had a bad snap, its all good that is what preseason is for.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 01:40 PM)Tony Wrote: What in the **** were you guys watching????!! Eva s hit the line hard and low on all of his inside runs.. The couple outside were designed that way.. Some of you guys don't even know what you are watching. Lol. They were even talking about how.low and hard Evans hits the holes...

Apparently, a different game than you.  The only time Evans really hit it low and hard was on the goal line.  He tried to bounce outside a bunch between the 20's.  
Reply/Quote