Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Defense
Just can't figure out why the run defense is so poor this year. Had James Conner not gotten hurt the outcome may very well have been different yesterday.

Did we lose someone on the interior of the DL that I'm forgetting about? Reader getting old, lack of depth, execution, ???

To my untrained eye it appears as though our tacking is pretty bad this year. Maybe that's due to being out of position. Not sure but somehow it needs to get much better moving forward.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:21 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Just can't figure out why the run defense is so poor this year.  Had James Conner not gotten hurt the outcome may very well have been different yesterday.

Did we lose someone on the interior of the DL that I'm forgetting about?  Reader getting old, lack of depth, execution, ???

To my untrained eye it appears as though our tacking is pretty bad this year.  Maybe that's due to being out of position.  Not sure but somehow it needs to get much better moving forward.

I threw some shade at Hilton last week, but he made a great tackle near the line of scrimmage yesterday on one play. When he came running up to make it, based off his performance this year, I expected a swing and a miss. Overall, I understand what you're saying but I do think we did better yesterday. I really only remember 1 big run from Conner yesterday and that's the one he got hurt on.
Reply/Quote
I feel like teams are running different against us this year. They are doing more misdirection and running more outside (away from Reader).

This is all ancedotal, but I think it's more of a way teams are running against us than players performing more poorly (although there are a lot of missed tackles).
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 09:21 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Just can't figure out why the run defense is so poor this year.  Had James Conner not gotten hurt the outcome may very well have been different yesterday.

Did we lose someone on the interior of the DL that I'm forgetting about?  Reader getting old, lack of depth, execution, ???

To my untrained eye it appears as though our tacking is pretty bad this year.
 Maybe that's due to being out of position.  Not sure but somehow it needs to get much better moving forward.

Mine too. They're back to just launching their shoulder at someone and bouncing off. It seems they've pretty much forgotten to wrap their arms around someone.
Reply/Quote
I can say this Daxton Hill is really good. I hope they can find another deep safety next off-season so they can do more with Hill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why the run defense is as bad as it is. Bell and Bates shouldn't have made that big of difference in that area. They have the bye to get it fixed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Mine too. They're back to just launching their shoulder at someone and bouncing off. It seems they've pretty much forgotten to wrap their arms around someone.

Tackling is definately worse. They're missing more tackles.
Reply/Quote
Consider practicing against the Bengals’ squishy offensive line all week. Of course the run defense will suffer against a real opponent.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: I can say this Daxton Hill is really good. I hope they can find another deep safety next off-season so they can do more with Hill.

Totally agree.  As impressive as Hill has been Nick Scott is not.  I'm hoping as Battle learns more and more he moves him out of the line up permanently.  
Reply/Quote

To my untrained eye it appears as though our tacking is pretty bad this year.  Maybe that's due to being out of position.  Not sure but somehow it needs to get much better moving forward.

BJ Hill is a non factor now...look at Stat sheet: credited with 0 tackles, sacks assists. And Trey is the only guy that can get a consistent a pass rush and Hubbard is a solid guy not close to a gamewrecker. 
We need to make Dline  a priority next yr. I look at what Eagles and SF have and SMH. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:34 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Consider practicing against the Bengals’ squishy offensive line all week. Of course the run defense will suffer against a real opponent.

They practiced against way worse OL’s the last couple years and were always very good against the run.

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:28 AM)Synric Wrote: I can say this Daxton Hill is really good. I hope they can find another deep safety next off-season so they can do more with Hill.

Yeah, really happy with Hill.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Mine too. They're back to just launching their shoulder at someone and bouncing off. It seems they've pretty much forgotten to wrap their arms around someone.

So frustrating to watch!!!  Honestly, DJ Turner - a wisp in the air type of tackler has been tackling better than our linebackers.   

The description is good.  Head down, leave your feet and bounce off as opposed to head up, break down, keep your feet, wrap up and drive through.  You may not get the hit you're looking for but you get the guy on the ground now.

It feels like everybody's doing the rocket launcher - ready-aim and miss tackles - or just plain arm tackles (CTB)
Reply/Quote
Fix the tackling and it looks better. The other big issues are lane discipline and edge setting. Those are why cutbacks kill us.
Reply/Quote
The back 7 are of much more concern than the front 4. LBs and DBs are missing way too many tackles. As to the Dline we can be better on containing the edge and cut backs.

Reply/Quote