Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Game
Here's your rushing stats through two games.

Hill: 20 att/53 yds/2.7 yds per attempt
Bernard: 10 att/42 yds/4.2 yds per attempt

Team: 37 att/103 yds/2.8 yds per attempt

Ranks: 26th in rushing attempts, 30th in rush yards, and 30th in yards per attempt. To add insult to injury, these stats include the two teams that have yet to play the Monday night game this evening.

Simply put, this is not going to get it done. Something has to be done to jump start the run offense, or teams are going to pin their ears back and sack Dalton all year. Granted, the pass protection held up a lot better yesterday, but there is simply no push in the running game thus far.
Reply/Quote
Completely agree. Offense is getting pretty predictable if we are only going to try to run the ball 15 times a game, and get stuffed on almost all of those plays too... WTF is happening with our run blocking!? I chalked last week up to a pretty good front 7 in NY, but Shitsburg isn't nearly that good, and it seemed even worse.... I am very concerned about this. Certainly doesn't get easier with Denver next week either...
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:45 AM)jonesy84 Wrote: Completely agree.  Offense is getting pretty predictable if we are only going to try to run the ball 15 times a game, and get stuffed on almost all of those plays too...   WTF is happening with our run blocking!?  I chalked last week up to a pretty good front 7 in NY, but Shitsburg isn't nearly that good, and it seemed even worse....  I am very concerned about this.  Certainly doesn't get easier with Denver next week either...

Here's Willie Anderson's thoughts on this:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Pretty spot-on.... but I guess if we could have felt like we realistically could have tackled the Stooler dlinemen and gotten away with it, our run game would have looked better too LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:57 AM)jonesy84 Wrote: Pretty spot-on....  but I guess if we could have felt like we realistically could have tackled the Stooler dlinemen and gotten away with it, our run game would have looked better too LOL

Good thing the refs were on high alert for this game! I would've hated to have seen how they called it if they weren't...
Reply/Quote
Yesterday was a prime example of why you need a smash mouth run game in the AFCN.....bad weather.  Sure, Dalton played admirably, and didn't turn it over, but both QBs struggled with accuracy, and our receivers had issues holding on to the ball.  That said, at some point, you have to commit to run every once in a while.  What did we have, 16 attempts yesterday?  That's pitiful.  Is it Zampese wanting to imitate Mike Martz, or is it he's scared to commit because Piano Man's unit is playing like fresh dog shit on a 100 degree day?  Who knows for sure......I know one thing, when you get 1st and goal from the 1 and can't pound it in, you need to check your jock strap for content.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yesterday was a prime example of why you need a smash mouth run game in the AFCN.....bad weather.  Sure, Dalton played admirably, and didn't turn it over, but both QBs struggled with accuracy, and our receivers had issues holding on to the ball.  That said, at some point, you have to commit to run every once in a while.  What did we have, 16 attempts yesterday?  That's pitiful.  Is it Zampese wanting to imitate Mike Martz, or is it he's scared to commit because Piano Man's unit is playing like fresh dog shit on a 100 degree day?  Who knows for sure......I know one thing, when you get 1st and goal from the 1 and can't pound it in, you need to check your jock strap for content.

Exactly.  I remember last year in this situation they ran the QB keeper quite a bit and just pushed into the endzone.  I wonder if they simply don't trust the middle of the line to get that push.  There is no reason to settle for a FG when you get the ball at the one. None.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:01 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Good thing the refs were on high alert for this game! I would've hated to have seen how they called it if they weren't...

maybe they were SO concerned about babysitting the players AFTER the play that they forgot to officiate the actual plays being run during the game...  or they just got instruction from the league office that Pissburgh should win yesterday.  Kinda felt like watching a WWF game toward the end, to be honest.  Like the outcome had already been dictated before kickoff, and I was just too naïve to realize it until the game was over and I looked at the big picture of all the missed/blown calls...
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yesterday was a prime example of why you need a smash mouth run game in the AFCN.....bad weather.  Sure, Dalton played admirably, and didn't turn it over, but both QBs struggled with accuracy, and our receivers had issues holding on to the ball.  That said, at some point, you have to commit to run every once in a while.  What did we have, 16 attempts yesterday?  That's pitiful.  Is it Zampese wanting to imitate Mike Martz, or is it he's scared to commit because Piano Man's unit is playing like fresh dog shit on a 100 degree day?  Who knows for sure......I know one thing, when you get 1st and goal from the 1 and can't pound it in, you need to check your jock strap for content.

A+
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:05 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Exactly.  I remember last year in this situation they ran the QB keeper quite a bit and just pushed into the endzone.  I wonder if they simply don't trust the middle of the line to get that push.  There is no reason to settle for a FG when you get the ball at the one. None.

Absolutely, no excuse.  If there is anything to Paul Alexander at all, he will ingrain this film into his unit's head until they can't blink their eyes without seeing it.  Then, he will ream their ass INCESSANTLY over it until they come out chewing barb wire fence and spitting out tenpenny nails.  I'm not holding my breath.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Run game. What run game ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:01 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Good thing the refs were on high alert for this game! I would've hated to have seen how they called it if they weren't...

Exactly. 

But makes me wonder why we did not do like a baseball pitcher and take what the refs were giving and try holding ourself. 

But of course we all knew that it was going to be a one sided coin. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:18 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Exactly. 

But makes me wonder why we did not do like a baseball pitcher and take what the refs were giving and try holding ourself. 

But of course we all knew that it was going to be a one sided coin. 

Good God!  We probably would have set an NFL record for MOST holding penalties and MOST penalty yards ever in an NFL game!  We probably would have netted NEGATIVE yardage by the end of the day!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:16 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Run game.  What run game ?

Right?  Appears more to be an obligatory "well, we have to at least pretend that we're going to run the ball to keep them honest".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:37 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Here's your rushing stats through two games.

Ranks: 26th in rushing attempts, 30th in rush yards, and 30th in yards per attempt.  To add insult to injury, these stats include the two teams that have yet to play the Monday night game this evening.  

Simply put, this is not going to get it done.  Something has to be done to jump start the run offense, or teams are going to pin their ears back and sack Dalton all year.  Granted, the pass protection held up a lot better yesterday, but there is simply no push in the running game thus far.

For sure, this is the main concern right now. Got to get the run game going.

The rain and refs and the running game were our downfall yesterday.
Reply/Quote

When your QB plays that good you should win the game and we could of if not for the triple R's.

Rain, refs and run game. You know how i feel about PA Wyche and your last statement is so true.
Reply/Quote
The run blocking was and has been abysmal.  Boling is a good pulling guard and does well in pass protection, but even he knows that he wasn't good enough getting push.   I missed a large portion of the 2nd half.  My son said that Zeitler looked pretty good, but Bodine is just a hot mess.  He said we miss Dre in the running game.  Hopefully Og grows into the position.  I certainly think he's athletic enough.  The question is if he is strong and smart enough.

We'll find out.  I think he'll be OK.

But Center is going to have to be a priority in the draft - which it should have been this year.   He may be a talented teacher, but he seems to be an arrogant and stubborn SOG with a huge ego.

Why else did they need to make him the assistant head coach?

Things are never just black or white.   But he's creeping to the edge of the gray.   I'm really unhappy with the way the weaknesses of our line have been left unaddressed.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:25 PM)3wt Wrote: The run blocking was and has been abysmal.  Boling is a good pulling guard and does well in pass protection, but even he knows that he wasn't good enough getting push.   I missed a large portion of the 2nd half.  My son said that Zeitler looked pretty good, but Bodine is just a hot mess.  He said we miss Dre in the running game.  Hopefully Og grows into the position.  I certainly think he's athletic enough.  The question is if he is strong and smart enough.

But Center is going to have to be a priority in the draft - which it should have been this year.   He may be a talented teacher, but he seems to be an arrogant and stubborn SOG with a huge ego.

Things are never just black or white.   But he's creeping to the edge of the gray.   I'm really unhappy with the way the weaknesses of our line have been left unaddressed.

Damn rights brother. Center has been our weakness since Braham left.

That is a hell of a long time to not address your biggest weakness.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 12:25 PM)3wt Wrote: The run blocking was and has been abysmal.  Boling is a good pulling guard and does well in pass protection, but even he knows that he wasn't good enough getting push.   I missed a large portion of the 2nd half.  My son said that Zeitler looked pretty good, but Bodine is just a hot mess.  He said we miss Dre in the running game.  Hopefully Og grows into the position.  I certainly think he's athletic enough.  The question is if he is strong and smart enough.

This past draft was the deepest at the center position that I can remember in a long time.  Now we have to hope for things to fall our way next year to get a top center prospect (assuming they choose to address it).
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:37 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Here's your rushing stats through two games.

Ranks: 26th in rushing attempts, 30th in rush yards, and 30th in yards per attempt.  To add insult to injury, these stats include the two teams that have yet to play the Monday night game this evening.  

Simply put, this is not going to get it done.  Something has to be done to jump start the run offense, or teams are going to pin their ears back and sack Dalton all year.  Granted, the pass protection held up a lot better yesterday, but there is simply no push in the running game thus far.

objectively....  2 of probly the better front 7s we will face this year with the 3rd coming next week.    

And yesterday game was a mess. on the field for footing and such.
Reply/Quote