Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run game didnt help too
One culprit of the latest tragedy was the putrid run game that first half. But before that, here are these reg season rankings.

7th attempts
23rd yds/attempt (3.9)
13th yds/game (112.8 vs. Buffalos 152.0 in 1st, Detroits 83.4 last)
28th longest run (38 yards)

Pretty underwhelming considering the two backs they had to work with. Blame the o-line, Paul, Hue,qb, Marvin, but this ended up being a weakness and it showed that first half.

Seriously, if there was one time this season we needed a good run game, it was that first half in the rain with McCarron. Yeah he didnt have a good first half, but a 4th game starter in the playoffs needed much better help out of the run game and he didnt get it. And even tho missing Hewitt was big, the line, rbs, and Hue needed to have been better. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2016, 02:14 AM)Millhouse Wrote: One culprit of the latest tragedy was the putrid run game that first half. But before that, here are these reg season rankings.

7th attempts
23rd yds/attempt (3.9)
13th yds/game (112.8 vs. Buffalos 152.0 in 1st, Detroits 83.4 last)
28th longest run (38 yards)

Pretty underwhelming considering the two backs they had to work with. Blame the o-line, Paul, Hue,qb, Marvin, but this ended up being a weakness and it showed that first half.

Seriously, if there was one time this season we needed a good run game, it was that first half in the rain with McCarron. Yeah he didnt have a good first half, but a 4th game starter in the playoffs needed much better help out of the run game and he didnt get it. And even tho missing Hewitt was big, the line, rbs, and Hue needed to have been better. 

Spot on.

This is why I am against Hill.  If I were the RB coach, OC and HC.  I would show him the tape of the fumble.  There are 2 things that I would point out to him.

1.  The decisiveness and aggression he is running with on this play is impressive.  It is what he was missing all season long.  He didn't run like that earlier in the game.  This type of running showed up after Gio was injured.  The TD was another run where he was decisive and aggressive.  Show me that on every play.

2.  Ball security and situational running.  When the game almost over, the main job of a RB is not to get 10 yard runs on every play, but to protect the football.  When you are in the redzone already, and you are under 2 minutes in the game, just protect the ball, no need to fight for extra yardage, no need to lunge forward to get an extra inch or two.  You do those types of things earlier in the game, not when the team is up by 1 point.  Get what you can, but keep 2 hands on the ball at all times, if you get a 1st down, great, but the goal is to eat the clock and make them take their TOs, then we have a shot at a FG.  Play smart football and you will usually win.

The main thing I would impress upon him, is that productive people are forgiven.  No this fumble will never be forgotten, however, if he comes back next year, produces by running with decisiveness and aggression, people will forgive him. 
Reply/Quote