Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Runner steals home stumper.
Was talking to a gentleman and he asked me a trivia question which I thought for sure I would get because I know baseball. However, I couldn't guess it and he said he couldn't either until the answer was revealed. So here it is:

Bottom of the 9th. Trailing by 1, two outs, full count and runner on third. Batter in the box waiting for the pitch. 3rd base runner takes off and heads for home. Throw comes, batter gets a base hit and runner scores tying run. While batter is on 1st base, home plate umpire walks to him and asks him one question. Upon hearing the answer from the base runner, HPU calls him out, run doesn't count, game over, team loses.

Without googling it, What happened here?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The batter was sleeping with the umps wife?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 09:19 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: The batter was sleeping with the umps wife?

No

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 08:12 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Was talking to a gentleman and he asked me a trivia question which I thought for sure I would get because I know baseball. However, I couldn't guess it and he said he couldn't either until the answer was revealed. So here it is:

Bottom of the 9th. Trailing by 1, two outs, full count and runner on third. Batter in the box waiting for the pitch. 3rd base runner takes off and heads for home. Throw comes, batter gets a base hit and runner scores tying run. While batter is on 1st base, home plate umpire walks to him and asks him one question. Upon hearing the answer from the base runner, HPU calls him out, run doesn't count, game over, team loses.

Without googling it, What happened here?

I would assume the ump was asking if the batter knew if the runner on 3rd was trying to steal or not. If the batter had no idea the runner was trying to steal home, no problem. Base hit and tie. But if the batter knew the runner was trying to steal home and then swung away, he is impeding the defense (sorry, football terminology) from making a play.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 11:16 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I would assume the ump was asking if the batter knew if the runner on 3rd was trying to steal or not. If the batter had no idea the runner was trying to steal home, no problem. Base hit and tie. But if the batter knew the runner was trying to steal home and then swung away, he is impeding the defense (sorry, football terminology) from making a play.

You are so close that when I give the answer you will say, "well, that what I was saying." However, it doesn't matter if a batter knows if the runner on third is going to attempt or not. There is one detail missing, which was the actual question the ump asked the batter. The gentleman I spoke to said this really happened in a game and was actually a real event stumper. 

Reply/Quote
So then it's batters interference? Did he see the runner break for home?

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:08 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So then it's batters interference?  Did he see the runner break for home?

Nice question but a batter is entitled to swing during a steel. It doesn't matter if a batter knows if the runner is stealing or not. So if your leaning on the interfering possibility, then you would have to say what would call it interference? 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Nice question but a batter is entitled to swing during a steel. It doesn't matter if a batter knows if the runner is stealing or not. So if your leaning on the interfering possibility, then you would have to say what would call it interference? 

Intent to impede the catchers ability to defend the play.

I would have just said it was a suicide squeeze and I got lucky

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:32 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Intent to impede the catchers ability to defend the play.  

I would have just said it was a suicide squeeze and I got lucky

Again, 1 thing must be present for that to apply. You're so close but you need to look from a different angle. That may be a clue - or it may not be?

Reply/Quote
I will give another clue. If the batter would have swung and missed (regardless of count) it should have resulted in an out as well.

Reply/Quote
It was a pitch out. I just can't think of a question and answer that gets a batter called out

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:53 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It was a pitch out.  I just can't think of a question and answer that gets a batter called out

No. But I understand your frustration and your going to punch yourself in the face when I reveal the answer. It's so easy, but so hard.

Reply/Quote
There was already a runner on first. Ump asked him why didn't he run to second?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There was already a runner on first. Ump asked him why didn't he run to second?

No. Sorry, but your heading in the wrong direction.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 12:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I will give another clue. If the batter would have swung and missed (regardless of count) it should have resulted in an out as well.

Batter batted out of order.  
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 05:11 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Batter batted out of order.  

No! Yet your trying. Put some real thought in it.Put yourself in all 3 players positions and think how this could have happened.

Reply/Quote
Pitch was ball 4, and batter advanced to 1st without being told by Umpire?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 06:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pitch was ball 4, and batter advanced to 1st without being told by Umpire?

Batter doesn't need permission to run to 1st base after a walk. It's ball 4 so he just proceeds. However, it has to be called a ball first (how many times have we seen players try on strike 3)? Nice try.

Edit: Also, remember batter hit the ball.

Reply/Quote
Is there a rule against a batter switch hitting in the middle of an at-bat? And if so, did the umpire just confirm with the batter if he did so, and call him out?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2017, 06:38 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Is there a rule against a batter switch hitting in the middle of an at-bat? And if so, did the umpire just confirm with the batter if he did so, and call him out?

A batter (I believe) can change boxes during an "at bat!" However, nice try. It was kinda one of my answers because I said, "Was the batter out of the box?" I had a few more but don't want to reveal.

Reply/Quote