Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Game.....
We all know the running game has struggled to this point...blame whoever you want, the play calling, the O-Line, J Hill.........

How about this for an attempt at a simple solution.......give the majority of reps this week to Gio and see if he can spark the running game. I realize he hasn't done much either pounding the rock but maybe he can find some holes J Hill missed....

As Ive stated numerous times, I don't think Gio is an every down back but we need to try something to get the running game going esp against Von Miller this week, we can't have our Ginger Genius dropping back 50 times.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
In Hill's rookie year, I think Gio was the actual starter. Maybe we should try that formula again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:23 AM)Goalpost Wrote: In Hill's rookie year, I think Gio was the actual starter.  Maybe we should try that formula again.

Perhaps we should, I agree.  But  we can't keep doing what we've been doing.  I always find that "if you keep doing what you've always done, your going to get what you've always gotten"  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 10:55 AM)jonesy84 Wrote: Perhaps we should, I agree.  But  we can't keep doing what we've been doing.  I always find that "if you keep doing what you've always done, your going to get what you've always gotten"  

This is Ticky tacky but I like how Albert said it better

Insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein ...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 12:33 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: This is Ticky tacky but I like how Albert said it better

Insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein ...

you're right    that is ticky tacky  LOL  Smirk
Reply/Quote
OK....I'll say what I've seen.....remember, it is early, only 2 games played....

First, there hasn't been many running plays in the first 2 games. It's hard to establish a running game if you aren't calling any running plays.

Second, the few running plays they have ran were in lousy formations. Often a pass formation with Hill or Bernard standing to Daltons right. Dalton hands the ball to lets say Hill, with no running start. Taking off cold after the ball snapped to Dalton and then handed to Hill standing to his right. Right there, you have a basic huge problem.

So this brings me to new offensive coordinator Zampese and his running plays. So far, they stink. The few times they did give the ball to Hill or Bernard to run, the plays had no chance. They are mostly this delayed hand off garbage, not power running plays. This does not give Hill or Bernard a chance to power hit the hole. By the time the ball is snapped, the O Line collides with the D Line. By the time Dalton hands the ball to Hill or Bernard the play is well under way, and Hill or Bernard are still standing flat footed. Now they take off on this delayed run garbage, and it gets stuffed.

Let us also factor in no more Smith at Right Tackle. When he was in there, he was a force in the running game, We could be having a drop off at right tackle, it looks like it. Everybody blames Bodine, and I'm not saying they are wrong, but the O line has had a few changes. That isn't good. That means the new 5 have to come together as 1, or it isn't going to work....

Bengals are 1-1, so maybe this is being picky....but so far the running game has been non existent....I'm seeing some thing out of Zampese that I do not like. I'm seeing him trying to run Hue Jackson plays. It won't work. I remember Trumpy and Collinsworth on radio talking about why early 1990's Bengals so bad. When they hit on Sam Wyche gone but Bengals still trying to run his offense, they said no wonder the team stinks because that never works. So Hue and Gruden are gone and any attempt to keep running those offenses is stupid. Zampese so far seems to be a lot of Gruden and a little bit of Hue and some Brat. He is using a little of the 3 offensive coordinators he worked under here, but it just doesn't jive. He has to come up with HIS own offense. Brat, Gruden and Hue are long gone.

I do NOT blame Hill or Bernard because they haven't been getting any running plays so far, and the very few running plays we have ran just stink. Just awful running formations. You are not going to get the most out of Hill having him standing next to Dalton flat footed. There is no power running in that garbage.

Again, it is early and Bengals are 1-1, so that is not a bad start. I remember Benson running the ball 30 times in a game. Some fans said that was too much and they wanted more passing. Hill isn't getting 15 rushes a game. Maybe not even 10. Both Hill and Bernard may not be getting 15 combined. The lack of running plays hurts. The idea is to keep letting the big O Linemen slam into the D Line and wear the D Linemen down until they open some lanes. You stick with the run and give your O Line a chance to open one. We are NOT doing that.

At some point, we have to run the ball or we can't hope to win against the very tough schedule we have. I know Cincy fans love the pass. I think Zampese has to develop his own offense and not just do a combo of Brat, Gruden and Hue. ...I think the new players on the O Line have to come together....They need to run the ball a lot more....and mostly you can not just run delayed hand off plays. I have not seen any power running plays yet this year. Nothing but these wimpy delayed hand off plays. In the end, how can you expect rushing yards when the RBs are never getting the ball....Now Bernard did get over 100 yards in receiving yards and maybe that's Zampese plan. Forget the run and pass every play. If that is his plan, then it isn't the RBs fault on the no rushing yards. ....With our tough schedule and being and outdoor team in the North, I think they better get a running game going.

One more thing. No running game will just kill our passing game. Defenses will just tee off on our passing game...Dalton dropped back to pass all game long against Jets and Steelers. If he has to pass all game long against Denver...well...McCarron better be ready because at some point Dalton will get his clock cleaned. ...Defenses are going to stop covering the run and just tee off on our passing game if we can't run. Probably a reason for all the sacks on Dalton. and he is getting hit more than just those sacks. I saw Carson get hit here until he was in the hospital. We need a running game.

One last point...IF we want a play-off win....You can NOT win in the play-offs without a running game....Super Bowl teams can both run and pass the ball. They are not one dimensional...So if we really want a play-off win, we will not get it with no running game. In the first 2 games we had no running game, none at all....We are probably lucky to be 1-1 considering no running game at all yet this year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
well said Kevin, lots of great points...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote