Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Mixon Is The Key To Victory!
I’m of the camp where i believe Mixon never actually got worse at running

I think the scheme was trash and Mixon just isn’t that type of back. He’s one cut and explode, the scheme was tooled more for a Laveon Bell type back. Bell was a genius at dancing behind the crowd and finding a hole with patience. Mixon is a wrecking ball type back. The scheme he succeeds behind is one where the lineman are firing off the line with the purpose of blocking a specific guy and pushing that guy back. He can’t create holes but he’s amazing at exploding thru them
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 07:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My opinion is that it doesn't necessarily matter if you're allowing a good YPC, because if you're still allowing a lot of yards, your run defense isn't ultimately effective. I know that teams are getting up on them early and thus running more on them compared to other teams.

I know not everyone agrees with that and they put more value on YPC, but that is how I feel.

No prob. You're entitled to what you believe. The only thing i'll say is, for me, averages are always better than volume. They tell a more true story.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
All 4 TD were against 8 man fronts since they have been tracking it nobody else has ever done it.
Reply/Quote
Mixon should get a ton of credit and I'm glad he had a good bounce back game. But yesterday seemed like a masterclass by our blockers. Guys pulling getting down field and getting on people. Hopefully that continues going forward.
Reply/Quote
This is a great interview with Mixon by Rich Eisen. Joe says they had a player only meeting yada yada yada..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l2h7bOJGpo
Reply/Quote
Mixon's problems this year have been because of poor Oline play.  Yesterday the Oline did a good job opening up some running lanes and Mixon was able to hit them.  If the Oline continues to play like they did yesterday, Mixon will continue to have good games.  If the Oline gets pushed around like they have been most of the season, Mixon will struggle.  Same is true with Burrow.  If the Oline gives him time, Burrow will make plays.  If the Oline lets Burrow get hit and pressured, Burrow will not do as well.  It all comes down to how well the Oline plays.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 12:50 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Mixon's problems this year have been because of poor Oline play.  Yesterday the Oline did a good job opening up some running lanes and Mixon was able to hit them.  If the Oline continues to play like they did yesterday, Mixon will continue to have good games.  If the Oline gets pushed around like they have been most of the season, Mixon will struggle.  Same is true with Burrow.  If the Oline gives him time, Burrow will make plays.  If the Oline lets Burrow get hit and pressured, Burrow will not do as well.  It all comes down to how well the Oline plays.

Here here! You win a chicken dinner. Bravo I feel the same way exactly
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 12:12 AM)bengals73 Wrote: This is a great interview with Mixon by Rich Eisen. Joe says they had a player only meeting yada yada yada..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l2h7bOJGpo

OL and Mixon meeting
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 12:50 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Mixon's problems this year have been because of poor Oline play.  Yesterday the Oline did a good job opening up some running lanes and Mixon was able to hit them.  If the Oline continues to play like they did yesterday, Mixon will continue to have good games.  If the Oline gets pushed around like they have been most of the season, Mixon will struggle.  Same is true with Burrow.  If the Oline gives him time, Burrow will make plays.  If the Oline lets Burrow get hit and pressured, Burrow will not do as well.  It all comes down to how well the Oline plays.

I put it more on Zac Taylor.  He has had games such as at Cleveland where he calls the pass all game.  If  Zac refuses to call run plays, then there will be no run blocking or run game.  It is silly for Zac Taylor not to call run plays, even when team has Chase, Higgins, Boyd.  The Bengals can run the ball if Zac would only call more run plays as he did against Panthers.  You can not run the ball only 5 or 6 times in a game and blame low rushing yards on blockers and Mixon.  The Bengals have a good Defense, a good running game, a good passing game and a good kicking game.   Sometimes however, Zac goes into a mood where he calls the pass all game long, and that loses ball games.  I hope Coach Taylor can be more like Panthers game, and call as many run plays as pass plays going forward, because that is when Bengals look their best.  Do not get so into Chase, Higgins and Boyd that you forget to use Mixon, Perine and the run game.  There have been games the O line was run blocking just fine, but Coach Taylor got pass happy all game.  The Ravens, Browns and Steelers can all run the ball, and so must the Bengals,  Coach Taylor needs to remember the importance of the run game in The AFC North.  

So I see the lack of a run game has mostly been the lack of Coach Taylor to call run plays.  The run was always there, Coach Taylor just got pass happy and had games he refused to call running plays and Bengals lost.  If passing every play won, it would be fine, but passing every play does not win.  Bengals are better when Coach Taylor remembers to call run plays also. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 02:59 AM)kevin Wrote: I put it more on Zac Taylor.  He has had games such as at Cleveland where he calls the pass all game.  If  Zac refuses to call run plays, then there will be no run blocking or run game.  It is silly for Zac Taylor not to call run plays, even when team has Chase, Higgins, Boyd.  The Bengals can run the ball if Zac would only call more run plays as he did against Panthers.  You can not run the ball only 5 or 6 times in a game and blame low rushing yards on blockers and Mixon.  The Bengals have a good Defense, a good running game, a good passing game and a good kicking game.   Sometimes however, Zac goes into a mood where he calls the pass all game long, and that loses ball games.  I hope Coach Taylor can be more like Panthers game, and call as many run plays as pass plays going forward, because that is when Bengals look their best.  Do not get so into Chase, Higgins and Boyd that you forget to use Mixon, Perine and the run game.  There have been games the O line was run blocking just fine, but Coach Taylor got pass happy all game.  The Ravens, Browns and Steelers can all run the ball, and so must the Bengals,  Coach Taylor needs to remember the importance of the run game in The AFC North.  

So I see the lack of a run game has mostly been the lack of Coach Taylor to call run plays.  The run was always there, Coach Taylor just got pass happy and had games he refused to call running plays and Bengals lost.  If passing every play won, it would be fine, but passing every play does not win.  Bengals are better when Coach Taylor remembers to call run plays also. 

It's much easier to call more running plays when the O-line is allowing Mixon to run for 7 yards a carry like he did against the Panthers vs 3.4 ypc against the Browns.

I have to disagree with the run always being there.  It hasn't been.  There were many games where the Oline was just overpowered and the running lanes were clogged or even worse, Mixon was hit in the backfield before he could even make it to the line of scrimmage.  To keep trying to run the ball in these situations is not the answer.  The problem wasn't we were not running the ball enough.  The problem was we couldn't run the ball effectively because of poor O-line play.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 10:12 PM)Housh Wrote: I’m of the camp where i believe Mixon never actually got worse at running

I think the scheme was trash and Mixon just isn’t that type of back. He’s one cut and explode, the scheme was tooled more for a Laveon Bell type back. Bell was a genius at dancing behind the crowd and finding a hole with patience. Mixon is a wrecking ball type back. The scheme he succeeds behind is one where the lineman are firing off the line with the purpose of blocking a specific guy and pushing that guy back. He can’t create holes but he’s amazing at exploding thru them

I agree, but lately he had been missing holes, and going down too easy on first contact. Maybe he'd been battling the ankle since NYJ. Tough to say.

Sunday had a great scheme and a great execution. Also, Mixon wasn't going down without a fight, was very decisive, and even looked a bit faster. 

It has been a combination of things in my opinion. Hopefully Sunday points to everyone ironing it out moving forward.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 12:18 PM)LebanonFan Wrote: Mixon looked like he was running harder and more decisively.  He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on some plays.  Really, the jet sweeps looked like that too…like the play had already gained yardage before it could even be diagnosed.  Not sure that can happen every week, but it looked well planned.  Also plenty of Stanley Morgan blocks on the edge to spring 5 yard gains to 8-12 yards

Morgan really had a nice game for sure.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2022, 01:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They had Kyle Clasky on the radio (Bengals old RB coach and the guy who drafted Mixon). He said that if a RB isn't getting carries, they can get frustrated and down on themselves...which can result to almost a subliminal lack of effort. Wonder if this is what was going on with Joe. 

With Callahan's comments about "getting bored" in the passing game, you might just be right about that.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2022, 02:59 AM)kevin Wrote: I put it more on Zac Taylor.  He has had games such as at Cleveland where he calls the pass all game.  If  Zac refuses to call run plays, then there will be no run blocking or run game.  It is silly for Zac Taylor not to call run plays, even when team has Chase, Higgins, Boyd.  The Bengals can run the ball if Zac would only call more run plays as he did against Panthers.  You can not run the ball only 5 or 6 times in a game and blame low rushing yards on blockers and Mixon.  The Bengals have a good Defense, a good running game, a good passing game and a good kicking game.   Sometimes however, Zac goes into a mood where he calls the pass all game long, and that loses ball games.  I hope Coach Taylor can be more like Panthers game, and call as many run plays as pass plays going forward, because that is when Bengals look their best.  Do not get so into Chase, Higgins and Boyd that you forget to use Mixon, Perine and the run game.  There have been games the O line was run blocking just fine, but Coach Taylor got pass happy all game.  The Ravens, Browns and Steelers can all run the ball, and so must the Bengals,  Coach Taylor needs to remember the importance of the run game in The AFC North.  

Uh ....they ran it over 70 times the first three games, and it still sucked ass, lol. 

The line has been bad, and Mixon has been off. You're not getting back into a game you're down 18-0 with 3 YPC if you keep handing it off.

Reply/Quote
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/allbengals-insiders-plus/cincinnati-bengals-film-breakdown-how-joe-mixon-demolished-the-carolina-panthers

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2022, 10:50 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

As much as I respect Taylor OL coaches he’s struggled, Turner a hell of a coach not a great person or fit in the NFL. Taylor knew that and that was biggest mistake so far. Mike Brown wanted Pollack and Taylor had little say because he wanted to hold onto his job. Not getting a solid scheme fitting these guys really cost us.

Reply/Quote

Mixon had 4 carries in the first quarter of the Browns game, which would have put him on pace for 16 carries for the game.  He only gained 8 yards on those carries and the Browns were up 8 early in the 2nd quarter.  Hard to stick with the run when it's ineffective and you're basically down two possessions.
Reply/Quote

We are watching a different team and coach. Taylor against the Jets ( I was there) Late in the game gave it to Perine about 8 plays in row. But he’s not stupid and no one blames him for zero confidence in our run games at times.

Reply/Quote