Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Outside
It seems like nearly every time we try to run outside, it fails. Yet...we keep trying it.

It also seems like our runs inside the tackles generally work.

Is this what you all are seeing too?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like nearly every time we try to run outside, it fails. Yet...we keep trying it.

I saw some chain moving type runs outside with Chase Brown. Speed matters.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: I saw some chain moving type runs outside with Chase Brown. Speed matters.

Yes. Outside runs are highly dependent on speed because the defense generally has the angle.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like nearly every time we try to run outside, it fails. Yet...we keep trying it.

We have to keep running them to slow down the Edge rusher.

On another note how about the Oline?

Good stuff.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Outside runs are highly dependent on speed because the defense generally has the angle.

On the bulk of our outside run plays J. Mixon just doesn't have the speed to win the race. Hopefully C. Brown will help in this area?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. Outside runs are highly dependent on speed because the defense generally has the angle.

Right. And like Caesar says below, they're a necessary evil to attempt and slow the pass rush 

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On the bulk of our outside run plays J. Mixon just doesn't have the speed to win the race. Hopefully C. Brown will help in this area?

Yessir, and I think Brown can do that. It just needs to hit 3-4 yards to help shorten up third down. If he breaks it, great. 

Reply/Quote
Need better blocking by the TEs WRs and maybe work in an OL that can pull out into space. Right now the perimeter runs are having thr same issue as thr perimeter screens blocking from the skill position players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have to keep running them to slow down the Edge rusher.

On another note how about the Oline?

Good stuff.

I wonder how much of the sacks was Burrow's style of play? I've read that a lot of different places.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Need better blocking by the TEs WRs and maybe work in an OL that can pull out into space. Right now the perimeter runs are having thr same issue as thr perimeter screens blocking from the skill position players.

There's successful run plays I see, and our TE is blocking no one. I'm not even really sure what he's doing.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Need better blocking by the TEs WRs and maybe work in an OL that can pull out into space. Right now the perimeter runs are having thr same issue as thr perimeter screens blocking from the skill position players.

Truth. Seen some poor blocking from Boyd last night and Hudson. As others have said, Mixon just doesn't have the speed for runs 
to the outside, Chase Brown does though. You have to have outside runs in the NFL to keep the Ends working hard to wear them 
out as Casaer said. Chase Brown was the missing ingredient to the run game with his speed IMO.

We will see if he keeps it up and the coaches keep using him, he adds another dynamic which is needed.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: On the bulk of our outside run plays J. Mixon just doesn't have the speed to win the race. Hopefully C. Brown will help in this area?

Is it really a lack of speed?  When I watch him try to run to the edge, he appears to me to do what I call a 'wide zone stutter' step, like he's trying to pick a gap to cut up into, before getting to the edge.  Either way it's frustrating to watch, and was refreshing to see the young back hitting the holes with quickness and fully committing to getting around the corner on outside runs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: I saw some chain moving type runs outside with Chase Brown. Speed matters.

Yep - this is what I was going to say. Mixon doesnt have the speed to run outside. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really a lack of speed?  When I watch him try to run to the edge, he appears to me to do what I call a 'wide zone stutter' step, like he's trying to pick a gap to cut up into, before getting to the edge.  Either way it's frustrating to watch, and was refreshing to see the young back hitting the holes with quickness and fully committing to getting around the corner on outside runs.

It is both, Mixon hesitates as well as you say. It is refreshing to see a RB hit holes without hesitation.
Reply/Quote
Faster speed from the rb and better perimeter blocking will have much better results than what we typically see.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really a lack of speed?  When I watch him try to run to the edge, he appears to me to do what I call a 'wide zone stutter' step, like he's trying to pick a gap to cut up into, before getting to the edge.  Either way it's frustrating to watch, and was refreshing to see the young back hitting the holes with quickness and fully committing to getting around the corner on outside runs.

Yes. He is not a big play running back unless the stars, planets, moon, and sun align for it to happen.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

I posted last night in GD thread Mixon was hitting the hole full speed with power, head of steam, lowering pads and going. When he runs that way he's waaayyyy more productive!! Yes he's only going to get 4,5, 7 yards or so most of the time like that. But it's much more effective for him and the team.

On the other hand when he's dancing, prancing, doing his L. Bell impression that's when he gets 0 yards, -1 2 yards and stinks. And I have to question why the coaches don't tell him quit dancing and just hit the hole?

He wants to hit a homerun on every play and 1. it's just not there. 2. he just doesn't have that top gear to pull away.
Reply/Quote

Beat me to it, Wyche.  Dead on.  The defense might be diving inside and Chase can burn them outside.  For a guy his size, he sure hits the hole quickly as well, showing versatility to run inside or outside.  I'd like to see him catch a screen, too.  I think he had a crazy low number of receptions in college.
Reply/Quote

He could outrun Pratt to the outside but that is about it.   Whatever
Reply/Quote