Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer.
Looks like Rush announced today that he has advanced lung cancer. I stopped listening to him quite a few years ago because I just wanted to disconnect from it all for the most part, but I did enjoy listening to him. I never could tolerate Hannity, Beck etc, but Rush is on a whole different level as far as being entertaining. Doesn't sound good, but I hope for the best for him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rush-limbaugh-reveals-he-s-fighting-advanced-lung-cancer-n1129136
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Sad news for Rush. When his time comes to pass, he will forever be remembered as the one who pioneered, and paved the way for what Conservative Media is today. Well done, Mr. Limbaugh.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-03-2020, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sad news for Rush.  When his time comes to pass, he will forever be remembered as the one who pioneered, and paved the way for what Conservative Media is today.  Well done, Mr. Limbaugh.

The first big lying hypocrite who recognized how to appeal to the base nature of the rubes.  Childish insults and "tough guy" talk.

Accused people who took anti-depressants of being "wimps" while he was doctor shopping because he was addicted to pain pills.  

Promised he would move out of this country if the ACA (Obamacare) became law.  So where is he living now?
As I have said on these boards before I liked Rush in the old days when he was funny...then he just got mean.

I regret that I overlooked how he was destroying the political conversation in this country.

However I never wish ill health or death on anyone.  My father in law is going through his third, and likely his last, bout with cancer and I do not wish that kind of suffering on anyone.

Maybe, given his wealth, he will find the treatments and time lost from work as mere nuisances...but I maybe he will see what average people have to go through and how they struggle.  If he can learn something (Scrooge like) maybe it will be good for him too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-03-2020, 06:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sad news for Rush.  When his time comes to pass, he will forever be remembered as the one who pioneered, and paved the way for what Conservative Media is today.  Well done, Mr. Limbaugh.

Not well done.  Raising disinformation to an art form, Rush pioneered the debasement of political discourse in the U.S.

Still I sympathize with anyone in his condition. Sorry to hear this.  
(02-03-2020, 07:22 PM)Dill Wrote: Not well done.  Raising disinformation to an art form, Rush pioneered the debasement of political discourse in the U.S.

Still I sympathize with anyone in his condition. Sorry to hear this.  

I'm sorry that you feel that way.  He's not the news, never claimed to be the news.  All he does is offer opinion and commentary on the news and political happenings.  To hate on a guy like Rush, you might as well hate on Thomas Paine and say that you wish that the sedition act of 1798 was still a thing, today.

Rush is the embodiment of free speech.  No need to hate on him, simply because he's good at it.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I hardly listen to Rush but did today because I took a 1/2 day off to recoup from Super Bowl and listened to him on the 16 minute drive. He get's pretty passionate sometimes about his views and well, I guess many of us are guilty as well. I didn't hear him announce the news but I hope for the best. He is good entertainment.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

Rush on the NFL...,."the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

Rush defending Ronald Reagan's AIDS policy "it did not spread to the heterosexual community."

Rush on rape....."How many of you guys . . . have learned that 'no' means 'yes' if you know how to spot it?”

Rush in 1995....."too many whites are getting away with drug use". (cut a plea deal to avoid going to trial on prescription fraud charges in 2003)

Rush on feminism.... "it was established so as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society."....
On February 29, 2012, Limbaugh, while talking about contraceptive mandates, included remarks about law student Sandra Fluke as a "slut" and "prostitute." Limbaugh was commenting on Fluke's speech the previous week to House Democrats in support of mandating insurance coverage for contraceptives. Limbaugh made numerous similar statements over the next two days, leading to the loss of 45 local and national sponsors and Limbaugh's apology on his show for some of his comments.

Rush on Weapons of Mass Destruction and Iraq war. Insisted they existed even when none were found. Later claimed the evidence of WMD was fabricated just to set up George Bush. (Se what I mean about rubes believing anything)

During 2014 Ebola scare Rush accused Obama of intentionally allowing Ebola to be transferred to the United Sates because of guilt over slavery..... "People at the highest levels of our government say 'Why, why shouldn't we get it? Why should only those three nations in Africa get it? We're no better than they are.' And they have this attitude, 'Well, if they have it in Africa, by God, we deserve to get it, because they're in Africa because of us and because of slavery.'"

Crazy conspiracy theories.....

- The FBI investigations of Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort as well as the subsequent Special Counsel investigation directed by Robert Mueller were orchestrated by Barack Obama and the Democratic Party to undermine the legitimacy of Trump's presidency and constituted an illegal coup d'état.

-Eco-terrorists intentionally destroyed Deepwater Horizon

-The police response to the violence at the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville was deliberately restrained by Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe as a botched attempt to start a presidential bid in the 2020 Democratic Party presidential primaries, and that it was part of a campaign by "international financiers" such as George Soros to start a second civil war in the United States to remove its status as a global superpower.

-The October 2018 United States mail bombing attempts were perpetuated as a false-flag operation to draw public attention away from Central American migrant caravans. He reiterated these claims two weeks after the arrest of the primary suspect Cesar Sayoc, a registered Republican.

-The Christchurch mosque shootings of March 2019 may have been a false-flag operation. Limbaugh described "an ongoing theory" that the shooter was actually "a leftist" trying to smear the right. Despite providing no source or evidence, Limbaugh continued: "... you can't immediately discount this. The left is this insane, they are this crazy."

Of Limbaugh's controversial statements and allegations they have investigated, Politifact has rated 84% as ranging from "Mostly False" to "Pants-On-Fire" (a signification for extremely false), with 5% of Limbaugh's contested statements rising to the level of "Mostly True" and 0% rated "True." These debunked allegations by Limbaugh include suggestions that the existence of gorillas disproves the theory of evolution, that Ted Kennedy sent a letter to Soviet General Secretary Yuri Andropov seeking to undercut President Reagan, that a recent lack of hurricanes disproves climate change, and that President Obama wanted to mandate circumcision.

On October 14, 2011, Limbaugh questioned the U.S. military initiative against Joseph Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), based on the assumption that they were Christians. "They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them." Upon learning about the accusations leveled against Kony, which included kidnapping whole schools of young children for use as child soldiers, Limbaugh stated that he would research the group, but never changed his position.
(02-03-2020, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sorry that you feel that way.  He's not the news, never claimed to be the news.  All he does is offer opinion and commentary on the news and political happenings.  To hate on a guy like Rush, you might as well hate on Thomas Paine and say that you wish that the sedition act of 1798 was still a thing, today.

Rush is the embodiment of free speech.  No need to hate on him, simply because he's good at it.

I hate on him because he is a lying hypocrite who manipulates the uneducated with crazy conspiracy theories.  It has nothing to do with "free speech".

Thomas Paine was not a lying hypocrite who manipulated the uneducated with crazy conspiracy theories.

Sad that you can't tell the difference.
(02-03-2020, 07:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hate on him because he is a lying hypocrite who manipulates the uneducated with crazy conspiracy theories.  It has nothing to do with "free speech".

Thomas Paine was not a lying hypocrite who manipulated the uneducated with crazy conspiracy theories.

Sad that you can't tell the difference.

Sad that you live in fear of a person that offers opinion and commentary as entertainment, to the point that you publicly express hatred toward him.  Long live the 1st Amendment.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-03-2020, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sorry that you feel that way.  He's not the news, never claimed to be the news.  All he does is offer opinion and commentary on the news and political happenings.  To hate on a guy like Rush, you might as well hate on Thomas Paine and say that you wish that the sedition act of 1798 was still a thing, today.

One question is whether Rush's "opinion and commentary" disinform and normalize uncivil speech.

Telling a caller to take the bone out of her nose, calling feminists "feminazis" or a George town student a "slut" because she thinks insurance should cover birth control pills--that is not being "good" at free speech.  

Don't be sorry that I think this language inappropriate in political commentary, and please understand that calling it inappropriate is still a long ways from accusing Rush of sedition or challenging his 1st Amendment right, just as principled disagreement with people does not automatically signal "hate"--or didn't until the debasement of public discourse alluded to in my previous post, and which is part of Rush's legacy.

The question is also whether the disinformation creates political power which politicians can then use--even if Rush protests he is merely "entertaining."  The efforts of conservative politicians to court Rush make clear he exercises that power.

Thomas Paine took pains to construct rational, well supported arguments in the two essays I have read by him. I do recall that in Common Sense he called George III a "wretch" at one point (for his indifference to the Boston Massacre), and at another he called supporters of George "parasites," but that name calling is rare in his writing, and is not substituted for argument.  It would be difficult to admire the purpose, values and standards of Paine's writing AND the "commentaries" of Rush. They are antithetical.  

PS Sunset, I should add that I never see you using Rush or Hannity style abusive language.  Even though we may disagree about Rush, I do not at all see my criticisms of him as referencing you too, even obliquely.
(02-03-2020, 08:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sad that you live in fear of a person that offers opinion and commentary as entertainment, to the point that you publicly express hatred toward him.  Long live the 1st Amendment.

The KKK and Westboro Baptist Church also take advantage of the First Amendment.  Does that mean you refuse to criticize their message?

And I don't "fear" Rush.  He just disgusts me.
(02-03-2020, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sorry that you feel that way.  He's not the news, never claimed to be the news. All he does is offer opinion and commentary

And yet you say he has shaped what conservative media is today. 

For one, indeed not the news.

Just guys offering opinions of never wavering party loyalty, that turned into never wavering Trump loyalty on a dime. Where lies are opinions and disinformation is masked with aggressiveness. Not the news.

Yeah, no ill wishes for the man, but he sure sounds guilty of some extreme developments.
That’s terrible news.
(02-03-2020, 09:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The KKK and Westboro Baptist Church also take advantage of the First Amendment.  Does that mean you refuse to criticize their message?

And I don't "fear" Rush.  He just disgusts me.

What's your point?  Guys like Howard Stern broke the media mold far earlier, with his "shock jock" antics.  Comedians like Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy made it alright to talk about issues that were only "whispered" prior to their throwing it out on the mainstream of American society.  Rush was just the first one to bring a strong, unrelenting contradiction to what the Liberal media had been selling to viewers for several generations.

If you want to disagree with his political position, that's fine.  But for you to "hate" the guy for what he's done is sort of contradictory to your position as a defense attorney, at least in my opinion.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-03-2020, 11:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's your point?  Guys like Howard Stern broke the media mold far earlier, with his "shock jock" antics.  Comedians like Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy made it alright to talk about issues that were only "whispered" prior to their throwing it out on the mainstream of American society.  Rush was just the first one to bring a strong, unrelenting contradiction to what the Liberal media had been selling to viewers for several generations.

If you want to disagree with his political position, that's fine.  But for you to "hate" the guy for what he's done is sort of contradictory to your position as a defense attorney, at least in my opinion.

I have to say, judging from the quotes fred posted alone this guy is quite extreme.These are some awful lines and lies. It's not outlandish to dislike him for those; it rather seems quite reasonable to be highly critical of him.

I don't get what your issue with Eddie Murphy is, but I really doubt it warrants a lieing, hate-spreading demagogue to counter him.
Rush spent years denying the dangers of first and second hand smoke, going so far as to suggest there’s no health issues at all with secondhand smoke.

I hope he uses what time he has left to do the right thing and raise awareness of the dangers of smoking.

He had a big audience that took him as a reliable source for information. He can make a difference now.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-04-2020, 12:49 AM)hollodero Wrote: I have to say, judging from the quotes fred posted alone this guy is quite extreme.These are some awful lines and lies. It's not outlandish to dislike him for those; it rather seems quite reasonable to be highly critical of him.

I don't get what your issue with Eddie Murphy is, but I really doubt it warrants a lieing, hate-spreading demagogue to counter him.

No issue at all.  Was simply using him as an example of someone who pushed the limits of what was thought of as acceptable free speech at a particular moment in time.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-03-2020, 11:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Rush was just the first one to bring a strong, unrelenting contradiction to what the Liberal media had been selling to viewers for several generations.

I don't know why you keep talking about his political position.  My problem is his lying and hypocrisy and his flat out meanness.  

I don't "hate" people who disagree with with health care providing birth control.  I hate people who call women "sluts" for wanting health care to provide birth control.

I don't hate people who are addicted to pain killers.  I hate people who are addicted to pain killers who call people who use anti-depressants "weak".

I don't hate people who support Christians.  I hate people who support monsters like Joseph Kony for political reasons. 

Rush is disgusting.  I don't understand why conservatives love people like Trump and Rush because they are mean-spirited, insulting assholes.

(02-03-2020, 11:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's your point?  Guys like Howard Stern broke the media mold far earlier, with his "shock jock" antics.  Comedians like Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy made it alright to talk about issues that were only "whispered" prior to their throwing it out on the mainstream of American society.  Rush was just the first one to bring a strong, unrelenting contradiction to what the Liberal media had been selling to viewers for several generations.

To the bold...you mean he lied to a larger audience than anyone before.

His popularity is undeniable, as is his unrelenting right wing spin whether it met the facts or not.  "I'll tell you what this REALLY means...." was what he did.  And the ditto heads bought it all because it made them feel like they were "right" all along about these "different" people suddenly in "their" country.

Limbaugh did as much or more to add to the divisiveness in this country as anyone.  Doesn't mean he should get cancer, it's just the truth.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.