Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Finley "Looks Bad"
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51523/ryan-finley

The Athletic's Paul Dehner reports fourth-round rookie QB Ryan Finley "looks bad" at Bengals practices.

"There’s just no way around it," Dehner writes. "It’s still early, but not so early that we can’t begin to wonder what the hell is going on." Finley was believed to be a reach when the Bengals took him at No. 104 overall, and his play thus far hasn't alleviated those concerns. Finley is probably safe to make the roster barring a preseason blowup, but he might not pass Jeff Driskel.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
'Looks bad' as in he's wearing a black leather coat with slicked back hair and smoking cigs during practice?
Reply/Quote
He will stick for 4 years no matter what. Bengals Homer’s will defend this pick till end of time
Reply/Quote
Should have taken Mack Wilson...

Reply/Quote
I was one of the defenders of this pick, although I didn't think we should have traded up. And I'm still okay with it as long as he's not viewed as the future QB in waiting. But this sounds very damning.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:24 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He will stick for 4 years no matter what.   

Bengals have waived other 4th round picks before. What is so special about Finley?
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:08 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51523/ryan-finley

The Athletic's Paul Dehner reports fourth-round rookie QB Ryan Finley "looks bad" at Bengals practices.

"There’s just no way around it," Dehner writes. "It’s still early, but not so early that we can’t begin to wonder what the hell is going on." Finley was believed to be a reach when the Bengals took him at No. 104 overall, and his play thus far hasn't alleviated those concerns. Finley is probably safe to make the roster barring a preseason blowup, but he might not pass Jeff Driskel.

if driskel is the better backup  finley can go to the Practice Squad....  Or we bring in a journeyman to back Dalton up for the year.

not a huge loss if the 4th round QB don't work out....   other than it being a waste of a pick
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:34 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I was one of the defenders of this pick, although I didn't think we should have traded up. And I'm still okay with it as long as he's not viewed as the future QB in waiting. But this sounds very damning.

was nice to see them trading up instead of using all them picks on guys that wouldn't make it either.

if 2 out of the 3 4ths work out then its a good year.
Reply/Quote
Looking for a bright side and found one, just not bright for Finely.

Quote:Undrafted Jake Dolegala showed off a powerful and accurate arm during 7-on-7 drills, while fourth-round pick Ryan Finley struggled not only with accuracy during those drills, but also during positional passing drills, and at times showed very poor arm strength and threw numerous wobbly passes.

LINK
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 'Looks bad' as in he's wearing a black leather coat with slicked back hair and smoking cigs during practice?

As Huey Lewis and the News once said, sometimes bad is bad.

But on a lighter note, this makes me wonder why we are do down on Jeff Driskel.  How many times have we used Marvin/the o-line/injuries/Lazor etc to excuse poor play from the players we like, yet we are so sure Driskel is a total pile o crap (I"m not convinced he isn't, I'm just posing a question here).

I hear people saying that Tom Brady couldn't win behind this line or with 2018's coaching, and yet here we are so confident that Driskel sucked because he...well, just plain ol' sucks.  He's like, the only guy we are going to hold accountable for the crapfulness that was 2018.  Why isn't he a blameless victim of circumstance, too?

On topic, if Finley looks bad it's going to be even more fun facetiously acting like he's our franchise savior.  First pick Dalton throws....put in the Fin-chise.

Actually, I think I might start the rumor that Ryan Finley is the younger, crappier illegitimate brother of Andy Dalton, much like Daniel Jones is the lost Manning brother. So the question really is if Finley can be the next Jordan Palmer.
Reply/Quote
Relax its not even training camp yet. His scouting report says he's a poor mans Andy Dalton. So in a pinch the offense can maintain some level of productivity if something were too happen too Dalton. I would be more concerned if we would have drafted that kid from Duke in the first round
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals have waived other 4th round picks before. What is so special about Finley?

When have they ever waived a 4th round rookie? That's not really a common occurrence for any team though.

I think the Raiders tried to put a 4th round QB on their practice squad a few years ago. I can't remember his name.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I take it Jake Dolegala has zero shot of making the roster? I thought that kid was looking decent.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When have they ever waived a 4th round rookie? That's not really a common occurrence for any team though.

None as a rookie, but Socal said he would be here 4 years no matter what.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None as a rookie, but Socal said he would be here 4 years no matter what.

Well 4 years I'd definitely disagree with, but he's not getting outright cut anytime soon.

That said, if he continues to stink, do you try to get him on the practice squad? You don't want to risk having a terrible backup.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When have they ever waived a 4th round rookie? That's not really a common occurrence for any team though.

I think the Raiders tried to put a 4th round QB on their practice squad a few years ago. I can't remember his name.

I think that was after Palmer went to AZ, they traded for Matt Flynn, Matt Schaub, and drafted Tyler Wilson in the 4th and he didn't make it on the team and that was about it for his NFL career.  

Ok, I looked him up and apparently he was on their practice squad because he was made the backup midway through the season, but never saw any action and was off the team after that 1 year. Hell, he was even an off-season member for us...that slipped my mind.  So according to his wiki page he went from 1st overall projected pick as predicted by SI in 2013 to never throwing an NFL pass.  Wacky.

Lordy, I hope for Finley's sake he isn't the next Tyler Wilson!
Reply/Quote
News alert: Not every draft pick works out. I hope he does, but the odds are two maybe three of these picks are on the roster after two years. It's always a shame when a kid you cheer for doesn't kill it, but it will be no surprise if he's not our back-up.

He seems to be a humble and smart kid, so I hope he pulls it together.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
It's REALLY early.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 03:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think that was after Palmer went to AZ, they traded for Matt Flynn, Matt Schaub, and drafted Tyler Wilson in the 4th and he didn't make it on the team and that was about it for his NFL career.  

Ok, I looked him up and apparently he was on their practice squad because he was made the backup midway through the season, but never saw any action and was off the team after that 1 year. Hell, he was even an off-season member for us...that slipped my mind.  So according to his wiki page he went from 1st overall projected pick as predicted by SI in 2013 to never throwing an NFL pass.  Wacky.

Lordy, I hope for Finley's sake he isn't the next Tyler Wilson!

Lol yep that's the guy. I thought he had a cup of coffee with us, but wasn't sure. 

Sometimes you just completely whiff on those mid-round QB's. Hopefully that's not the case with Finley.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol yep that's the guy. I thought he had a cup of coffee with us, but wasn't sure. 

Sometimes you just completely whiff on those mid-round QB's. Hopefully that's not the case with Finley.

Time will tell.  I suppose watching 3 backup QBs battle in preseason will make things less mundane than usual.  And I'm sure eventually someone will warn that if we cut Finley the Patriots/Steelers will pick him up and win 5 Super Bowls with him.
Reply/Quote