Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS prevents Trump from ending DACA due to inadequate justification from the admin
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-trump-cannot-end-daca-big-win-dreamer-n1115116?fbclid=IwAR0ru7KyZ3vrSX9uRwcNqDFBeRQCwaAuRoTNWzecBH2oHtSMMt2BXvx-nm8

"The ruling said the government failed to give an adequate justification for ending the federal program. The administration could try again to shut it down by offering a more detailed explanation for its action, but the White House might not want to end such a popular program in the heat of a presidential campaign."

Lawyers arguing against the administration pointed to the nearly 27,000 DACA recipients who were frontline healthcare workers during the pandemic.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ouch. The Trump administration has been taking some hits, this week.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trump just tweeted this:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-18-2020, 12:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ouch. The Trump administration has been taking some hits, this week.

It almost seems like Trump being in power has inspired the opposition by giving them a common enemy.

It'll be interesting to see if this carries over to the 2020 election because Trump is now on the other side of a "everything sucks, we need change, won't it be awesome to see the supporters of the status quo cry, you aren't voting for me so much as voting against a corrupt system, we need to send a message that we are pissed off and fed up" and so on.
(06-18-2020, 12:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It almost seems like Trump being in power has inspired the opposition by giving them a common enemy.

It'll be interesting to see if this carries over to the 2020 election because Trump is now on the other side of a "everything sucks, we need change, won't it be awesome to see the supporters of the status quo cry, you aren't voting for me so much as voting against a corrupt system, we need to send a message that we are pissed off and fed up" and so on.

Well part of this, from what I have read, is that Trump and his admin are completely inept at HOW to do things.  They COULD have ended DACA but didn't go about it the right way.

It has been the sole benefit of having a complete moron surrounded by yes men in office:  They can't follow rules enough to do any real damage because there are still some checks and balances working.  They just take awhile.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-18-2020, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well part of this, from what I have read, is that Trump and his admin are completely inept at HOW to do things.  They COULD have ended DACA but didn't go about it the right way.

It has been the sole benefit of having a complete moron surrounded by yes men in office:  They can't follow rules enough to do any real damage because there are still some checks and balances working.  They just take awhile.

Hmm guess there is a downside to making a man who brags about having zero experience the champion of your crusade.  
(06-18-2020, 12:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ouch. The Trump administration has been taking some hits, this week.

This is what happens when your administration isn't stocked with the best and the brightest or the people who will adequately prepare you for a legal challenge. 

Had he taken the time to come up with a bullshit legal excuse rather than pandering to a xenophobic base after letting Stephen Miller talk him out of trading DACA for his wall, he could have avoided this. 

Roberts isn't going to let him and the Trump administration bullshit its way through the Courts. 

(06-18-2020, 12:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm guess there is a downside to making a man who brags about having zero experience the champion of your crusade.  

100% this. 

While the executive branch and his administration may act the most like a corporation, there is no direct crossover in business experience to government experience. 

He's not used to running a company that has to listen to two equal parts nor is he used to having a set of rules he has to follow.

Combined with his general ignorance on civics, world affairs, and the law, as well as his distaste for reading or learning, and you have the most incompetent president in the last century. 

(06-18-2020, 12:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump just tweeted this:

Ain't one a Mexican or something?   'nuff said.
(06-18-2020, 12:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: While the executive branch and his administration may act the most like a corporation, there is no direct crossover in business experience to government experience. 

He's not used to running a company that has to listen to two equal parts nor is he used to having a set of rules he has to follow.

Combined with his general ignorance on civics, world affairs, and the law, as well as his distaste for reading or learning, and you have the most incompetent president in the last century. 

LOL And voters with a general ignorance on civics, world affairs, and the law, as well as a distaste for reading and learning, vehemently disagree with your fake news inspired "hate."

I want to push back on the bolded a bit.  I don't think Trump's business, or Trump as a businessman, is typical of corporate business. I don't think his administration is "most like a corporation" in any other sense than maybe a collection of people out to cut taxes and regulations to increase their own profit, with a dash of distinctly uncorporate hostility to multiculturalism immigration.

As far as organization, chain of command and accountability go, they are a long ways from Exxon or Union Carbide or Weyerhausen.
(06-18-2020, 01:10 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL And voters with a general ignorance on civics, world affairs, and the law, as well as a distaste for reading and learning, vehemently disagree with your fake news inspired "hate."

I want to push back on the bolded a bit.  I don't think Trump's business, or Trump as a businessman, is typical of corporate business. I don't think his administration is "most like a corporation" in any other sense than maybe a collection of people out to cut taxes and regulations to increase their own profit, with a dash of distinctly uncorporate hostility to multiculturalism immigration.

As far as organization, chain of command and accountability go, they are a long ways from Exxon or Union Carbide or Weyerhausen.

I don't think he's like most either, but to clarify, I was saying that the executive branch is the one branch that is most like a corporation. You have a chief executive and then a bureaucracy governed by policy and a chain of command. However, as I said, it's still not a direct crossover given the rules involved and the inability for the chief executive to do whatever he pleases relative to the authority of the business. 

(06-18-2020, 12:41 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump just tweeted this:

He also wrote that these horrible and politically charged decisions are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves conservatives or republicans.

Shotgun blasts.
(06-18-2020, 01:33 PM)hollodero Wrote: He also wrote that these horrible and politically charged decisions are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves conservatives or republicans.

Shotgun blasts.

Is he roasting Cheney on that one or is that too topical for him?

But this sums things up for me.  Trump tweeting that treating people with compassion and something approaching Constitutionally-promised equality is anathema to the Republican party is what is uniting people against him. 

Following the laws vs breaking the laws.

I still don't understand why people want to reward those that broke the laws and punish those that work with in the laws.

The sins of the parensts should not be passed down. If you enter DACA then you can earn a path to USC, however, your parents may not, since they are the original law breakers. 
(06-18-2020, 02:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Following the laws vs breaking the laws.

I still don't understand why people want to reward those that broke the laws and punish those that work with in the laws.

Until we actually punish people who hire illegals there is no sense in coming down so much harder on the illegals.  That's my take.  Make hiring illegals carry a huge fine and/or significant jail time and this problem solves itself.  
(06-18-2020, 02:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Until we actually punish people who hire illegals there is no sense in coming down so much harder on the illegals.  That's my take.  Make hiring illegals carry a huge fine and/or significant jail time and this problem solves itself.  

Start in Hollywood
(06-18-2020, 02:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Start in Hollywood

Or the white house.  
(06-18-2020, 02:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Or the white house.  

sure if they are guilty then hang 'em. But didn't his businesses legally hire immigrants? 
(06-18-2020, 02:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Until we actually punish people who hire illegals there is no sense in coming down so much harder on the illegals.  That's my take.  Make hiring illegals carry a huge fine and/or significant jail time and this problem solves itself.  

Not going to solve itself this way as long as people in Congress and their donors/friends hire those illegals.