Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS sides with Biden Admnistration on Social Media contact
The 5th circuit was overruled again, this time on their rulings concerning the Biden administration's contacts with social media companies. In a 6-3 vote, they ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing and could not show harm due to the contacts.

Justice Barrett wrote the majority decision stating there was no evidence that moderation decisions by social media companies were driven or directed by the government

It should come to no one's surprise that Justices Thomas and Alito led the dissent with Gorsuch joining them

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 12:54 PM)pally Wrote: The 5th circuit was overruled again, this time on their rulings concerning the Biden administration's contacts with social media companies.  In a 6-3 vote, they ruled that the plaintiffs lacked standing and could not show harm due to the contacts.  

Justice Barrett wrote the majority decision stating there was no evidence that moderation decisions by social media companies were driven or directed by the government

It should come to no one's surprise that Justices Thomas and Alito led the dissent with Gorsuch joining them

I'm consistently amused by the left's waffling on the SCOTUS.  You'll notice that the so called radical right leaning members of the court tend to cross supposed ideological lines far more often than the left leaning justices.  Thomas and Alito are as reliable a conservative justice as Sotomayor and Kagan are left leaning justices.  Yet, you don't seem to have a problem with the latter group's ideological leanings.  Just an interesting double standard you have there.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 01:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm consistently amused by the left's waffling on the SCOTUS.  You'll notice that the so called radical right leaning members of the court tend to cross supposed ideological lines far more often than the left leaning justices.  Thomas and Alito are as reliable a conservative justice as Sotomayor and Kagan are left leaning justices.  Yet, you don't seem to have a problem with the latter group's ideological leanings.  Just an interesting double standard you have there.

I have a problem with the unethical behavior by Thomas and Alito.  Have you ever seen me criticize other members of the conservative majority?

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 01:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm consistently amused by the left's waffling on the SCOTUS.

I mean, it seems Alito and Thomas draw most of the ire, and there are at least some reasons. They seem to be particularly keen on raking in some say amenities from interested parties and it appears kinda odd how their wives apparently are so deeply entrenched in deep MAGA conspiracy world and yet their husbands don't recuse themselves from related cases, but I don't know the rules. But I can understand why they are not particularly trusted at this point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 01:41 PM)pally Wrote:  I have a problem with the unethical behavior by Thomas and Alito.  Have you ever seen me criticize other members of the conservative majority?

I thought the left felt judges and their decisions should be respected. How do feel about Judge Marchan and his daughter raising billions for Democrats and Biden?

Here is your chance to show unethical is not conservative or liberal, just unethical.  Wink
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 01:41 PM)pally Wrote:  I have a problem with the unethical behavior by Thomas and Alito.  Have you ever seen me criticize other members of the conservative majority?

I could certainly make the argument you did in the OP, but if you claim otherwise I'll believe you.

(06-26-2024, 03:39 PM)hollodero Wrote: I mean, it seems Alito and Thomas draw most of the ire, and there are at least some reasons. They seem to be particularly keen on raking in some say amenities from interested parties and it appears kinda odd how their wives apparently are so deeply entrenched in deep MAGA conspiracy world and yet their husbands don't recuse themselves from related cases, but I don't know the rules. But I can understand why they are not particularly trusted at this point.

OK, I can see the logic there.  But I stand by my original assertion.  Neither of them is more partisan in their leanings than either Sotomayor or Kagan.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 05:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: OK, I can see the logic there.  But I stand by my original assertion.  Neither of them is more partisan in their leanings than either Sotomayor or Kagan.

I assume you're right. I just think their partisanship alone is not what the left is waffling about.
Reply/Quote
Yay for America. The federal government can still do its job to help defend the country.

Alito and Thomas trying to destroy our country is no longer surprising. They are arguing on behalf of misinformation and trying to hamstring our government’s ability to do anything about it.

Gee whiz, do you think our adversaries would try to take advantage of that obvious vulnerability? (China and Russia licking their lips) let’s see if we can get these red hats, who will believe anything other than the truth, to attempt another coup and push the country in to a civil war with another dose of misinformation.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 04:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought the left felt judges and their decisions should be respected. How do feel about Judge Marchan and his daughter raising billions for Democrats and Biden?

Here is your chance to show unethical is not conservative or liberal, just unethical.  Wink

a $40 t-shirt is now billions?

and I do draw a line of distinction between adult independently living children and spouses who presumably share a life and bed with the judges

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 06:13 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Yay for America. The federal government can still do its job to help defend the country.

Alito and Thomas trying to destroy our country is no longer surprising. They are arguing on behalf of misinformation and trying to hamstring our government’s ability to do anything about it.

Gee whiz, do you think our adversaries would try to take advantage of that obvious vulnerability? (China and Russia licking their lips) let’s see if we can get these red hats, who will believe anything other than the truth, to attempt another coup and push the country in to a civil war with another dose of misinformation.

Blind partisanship like this is why politicians on either side thrive...

Stop being lockstep sheep.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 07:53 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Blind partisanship like this is why politicians on either side thrive...

Stop being lockstep sheep.

Right… Because being against misinformation is partisan. Only in magaland, which is just like la-la land except the people have to bow down to some narcissistic sociopath conman felon.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 08:30 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Right… Because being against misinformation is partisan. 

That's not the question.  It's who gets to decide what's misinformation.  You know, misinformation like the Covid lab leak, the Hunter Biden laptop and the Ashley Biden diary.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 09:18 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's not the question.  It's who gets to decide what's misinformation.  You know, misinformation like the Covid lab leak, the Hunter Biden laptop and the Ashley Biden diary.

Well if I’m understanding what I’ve read, it’s the private businesses choosing to moderate content on their terms. Lucky for us the civil servants working for the government tasked with defending our country are still allowed to reach out to these businesses to share intel with them about potential threats to national security being circulated on their platform. Sounds to me like if Alito and Thomas had their way that would no longer be the case.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 10:05 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well if I’m understanding what I’ve read, it’s the private businesses choosing to moderate content on their terms. Lucky for us the civil servants working for the government tasked with defending our country are still allowed to reach out to these businesses to share intel with them about potential threats to national security being circulated on their platform. Sounds to me like if Alito and Thomas had their way that would no longer be the case.

That's not the question.  It's who gets to decide what's misinformation.  You know, misinformation like the Covid lab leak, the Hunter Biden laptop and the Ashley Biden diary.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2024, 11:43 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's not the question.  It's who gets to decide what's misinformation.  You know, misinformation like the Covid lab leak, the Hunter Biden laptop and the Ashley Biden diary.

Oh. So you mean misinformation like the election was rigged and stolen? Ok.
Well I think it’s the civil servants who work for the United States government who are tasked with defending the country from enemies foreign and domestic.

They can pass any intel they have to these private businesses and the private business can then decide how to moderate content on their platform.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 12:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Oh. So you mean misinformation like the election was rigged and stolen? Ok.
Well I think it’s the civil servants who work for the United States government who are tasked with defending the country from enemies foreign and domestic.

They can pass any intel they have to these private businesses and the private business can then decide how to moderate content on their platform.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 12:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's not the question.  It's who gets to decide what's misinformation.  You know, misinformation like the Covid lab leak, the Hunter Biden laptop and the Ashley Biden diary.

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 12:44 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Well I think it’s the civil servants who work for the United States government who are tasked with defending the country from enemies foreign and domestic.

I'm sure that holds true under a President Trump?

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 12:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm sure that holds true under a President Trump?

Except Trump wants to fire a large portion of the civil service employees and replace them with Trump loyalists who are being screened to insure loyalty to Trump comes first

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2024, 12:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm sure that holds true under a President Trump?

Well there is a problem when you have a wanna be dictator who demands loyalty because he needs protection from those around him for all the corrupt shit he does.

But yes. There will be plenty of honorable civil servants who work for the United States government who are tasked with defending the country from enemies foreign and domestic that will still have jobs.

Guys like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Vindman
Reply/Quote