Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 1.0
It's early, but the SIM worked out like this. Not very sexy, but I think it would improve our team. Before anyone hammers me about a lack of offensive line address, I didn't see value at any spots that I thought would be of greater importance to other spots.

I also believe in Redmond and Westerman as our Guards, and possibly Boling staying outside. I would also consider a free agent for depth at tackle.

12: R1P12
DL DA'RON PAYNE
ALABAMA

Payne may very well not be there, but he is an immediate impact player at the DT position. Not only will he help the DEs and Atkins, but he can play all downs and possibly rotate with Billings to keep them both fresh. Helps improve the run defense and the pass rush.

46: R2P14
C FRANK RAGNOW
ARKANSAS

Amazing that he did not give up a sack in his entire career at Arkansas. Big, strong, mauler at the point of attack with the football IQ to hold up the middle of the line. People might move him down for not being overly "twitchy" but he reminds me a lot of Alex Mack, and we already blew it with not signing him when he became available.

77: R3P13
LB JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA

Tackling machine in the middle of the field. Excellent instincts and ball-hawking ability. Won't run a 4.5 forty, but he is a very solid player in the middle. Team leader at Iowa. Rangy enough to cover TEs and be the nickel backer with Burfict. Durable.

100: R3P36
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
Mammoth man that should come in and start right away at RT. Fisher's health is a big concern and we can't re-sign Andre Smith and wait until the middle of the season before he is in playing shape. Brown may struggle a bit with speed rushers, but most of them come from the RDE spot. He will be a huge asset in the rushing attack. Line him up next to Redmond at RG and those three-and-ones become a lot easier.

114: R4P12
WR SIMMIE COBBS JR.
INDIANA

Suffered through inconsistent QB play during the season, but a very sure-handed big target for Dalton. Think of him as a bargain Michael Thomas. A great weapon in the red zone. Was surprised to see him available this point. This would replace Lafell and, hopefully, Ross, Core, and Malone all see more opportunities next year.

153: R5P14
CB ADONIS ALEXANDER
VIRGINIA TECH

I see him as a safety to compete with Shawn Williams. Played CB at VT after starting as a safety out of necessity for the team, but has the length at 6' 3", speed, and ball skills needed for a zone safety. Can play either safety spot.

172: R5P33
S JAMAR SUMMERS
CONNECTICUT

Another versatile player that has experience at both safety and CB. Had to cover a long time as Conn had next to no pass rush, but had great ball instincts and is a very solid tackler. Would make immediate impact on special teams. Raw, but talented.

191: R6P13
G ROSS PIERSCHBACHER
ALABAMA

Very stout run blocker with improving skills as a pass-blocker. Provides good quality depth to develop behind Westerman and Redmond.

251: R7P32
TE DANNY FRIEND
INDIANA

TE that moved to OL his senior season. I see him as an extra offensive linemen in rushing downs. Not much of a receiving threat, but has hands and can move the chains if he does slide out off the line. High character, team-first guy.

253: R7P34
RB NICK WILSON
ARIZONA

Had a really good early start to his career and was hampered by nickel-and-dime injuries. Had he been healthy, he would have been a much earlier pick. A low-stock pick.

254: R7P35
LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN

Special teams and developmental LB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 12:44 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's early, but the SIM worked out like this.  Not very sexy, but I think it would improve our team.  Before anyone hammers me about a lack of offensive line address, I didn't see value at any spots that I thought would be of greater importance to other spots.  

I also believe in Redmond and Westerman as our Guards, and possibly Boling staying outside.  I would also consider a free agent for depth at tackle.  

12: R1P12  
DL DA'RON PAYNE
ALABAMA

Payne may very well not be there, but he is an immediate impact player at the DT position.  Not only will he help the DEs and Atkins, but he can play all downs and possibly rotate with Billings to keep them both fresh.  Helps improve the run defense and the pass rush.

46: R2P14  
C FRANK RAGNOW
ARKANSAS

Amazing that he did not give up a sack in his entire career at Arkansas.  Big, strong, mauler at the point of attack with the football IQ to hold up the middle of the line.  People might move him down for not being overly "twitchy" but he reminds me a lot of Alex Mack, and we already blew it with not signing him when he became available.  

77: R3P13  
LB JOSEY JEWELL
IOWA

Tackling machine in the middle of the field.  Excellent instincts and ball-hawking ability.  Won't run a 4.5 forty, but he is a very solid player in the middle.  Team leader at Iowa.  Rangy enough to cover TEs and be the nickel backer with Burfict.  Durable.  

100: R3P36  
OT ORLANDO BROWN
OKLAHOMA
Mammoth man that should come in and start right away at RT.  Fisher's health is a big concern and we can't re-sign Andre Smith and wait until the middle of the season before he is in playing shape.  Brown may struggle a bit with speed rushers, but most of them come from the RDE spot.  He will be a huge asset in the rushing attack.  Line him up next to Redmond at RG and those three-and-ones become a lot easier.

114: R4P12  
WR SIMMIE COBBS JR.
INDIANA

Suffered through inconsistent QB play during the season, but a very sure-handed big target for Dalton.  Think of him as a bargain Michael Thomas.  A great weapon in the red zone.  Was surprised to see him available this point.  This would replace Lafell and, hopefully, Ross, Core, and Malone all see more opportunities next year.

153: R5P14  
CB ADONIS ALEXANDER
VIRGINIA TECH

I see him as a safety to compete with Shawn Williams.  Played CB at VT after starting as a safety out of necessity for the team, but has the length at 6' 3", speed, and ball skills needed for a zone safety.  Can play either safety spot.

172: R5P33  
S JAMAR SUMMERS
CONNECTICUT

Another versatile player that has experience at both safety and CB.  Had to cover a long time as Conn had next to no pass rush, but had great ball instincts and is a very solid tackler.  Would make immediate impact on special teams.  Raw, but talented.  

191: R6P13  
G ROSS PIERSCHBACHER
ALABAMA

Very stout run blocker with improving skills as a pass-blocker.  Provides good quality depth to develop behind Westerman and Redmond.

251: R7P32  
TE DANNY FRIEND
INDIANA

TE that moved to OL his senior season.  I see him as an extra offensive linemen in rushing downs.  Not much of a receiving threat, but has hands and can move the chains if he does slide out off the line.  High character, team-first guy.

253: R7P34  
RB NICK WILSON
ARIZONA

Had a really good early start to his career and was hampered by nickel-and-dime injuries.  Had he been healthy, he would have been a much earlier pick.  A low-stock pick.

254: R7P35  
LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN

Special teams and developmental LB.

Good job at this point I like the majority of the players too....I just dont see Orlando Brown getting out of the 1st round IMO.
Reply/Quote
I could get behind this. However I think the lt need is so great you may need to get 1 in round 1.

Of course you know who will be along talking about why you’re wrong not taking some tackle from Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Bryan than Payne.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 01:12 PM)pulses Wrote: Good job at this point I like the majority of the players too....I just dont see Orlando Brown getting out of the 1st round IMO.

Every year it seems like there a whole bunch of players that everyone sees as going in the 1st round.  If everyone that folks have a 1st round "grade" on went in the 1st round, it would have to be about 115 picks long.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
See a lot of first round projections on Orlando. But i think he falls. Doesnt move very well. Which usually means no first round. He makes Andre look athletic. Id love him in 3 though.

I probably will never get on board with a first round DT this year. I want to see what our young DTs are first.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every year it seems like there a whole bunch of players that everyone sees as going in the 1st round.  If everyone that folks have a 1st round "grade" on went in the 1st round, it would have to be about 115 picks long.

And every year someone has to come along and make some kinda smarta$$ remark. Most of us knows how the whole draft process works, thanks !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 08:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: See a lot of first round projections on Orlando. But i think he falls. Doesnt move very well. Which usually means no first round. He makes Andre look athletic. Id love him in 3 though.

I probably will never get on board with a first round DT this year.  I want to see what our young DTs are first.
http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl-draft/offensive-tackle/orlando-brown-ot-oklahoma/

Doesn't move too well huh?  I think you better go watch some more tape and read some more scouting reports again.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:32 PM)pulses Wrote: And every year someone has to come along and make some kinda smarta$$ remark. Most of us knows how the whole draft process works, thanks !

(01-16-2018, 09:33 PM)pulses Wrote: http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl-draft/offensive-tackle/orlando-brown-ot-oklahoma/

Doesn't move too well huh?  I think you better go watch some more tape and read some more scouting reports again.

Not everyone see's players the same way that you do.  I mean, I'm sure that in just a season or two, you'll be putting guys like Kiper and McShay out of a job.  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not everyone see's players the same way that you do.  I mean, I'm sure that in just a season or two, you'll be putting guys like Kiper and McShay out of a job.  Ninja

Uhhhh no that title belongs to JPoore make sure you get it right.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:43 PM)pulses Wrote: Uhhhh no that title belongs to JPoore make sure you get it right.

And, you can have him as your on-air partner and rival!  ThumbsUp

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:43 PM)pulses Wrote: Uhhhh no that title belongs to JPoore make sure you get it right.

Why u gotta bring me in to it?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:33 PM)pulses Wrote: http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl-draft/offensive-tackle/orlando-brown-ot-oklahoma/

I was a big fan of Orlando after reading scouting reports. Then i watched. Didnt see much aggression. Doesnt play to the whistle. And like I said he doesnt move well. He is a mammoth. A lot of times that can get the job done on the OL. But not always enough. I liked zach banner from usc last year. He at least looked like he was  trying. Another huge guy who doesnt move the best. He went in the 4th and ended up cut by the colts and was picked up by the browns. If he saw the field it wasnt a lot. I think they are similar players.

Being big can get it done in college. It isnt enough in the NFL. Orlando is a big time project. I would take cam robinson 10 times out of 10 over orlando if they were in the same class. Cam went in the 2nd last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 10:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Why u gotta bring me in to it?

Lolz. Keep it up Jpoore. We need all the draft input we can get. Varying opinions are good. 

Some of your declarations are bold and not always right. But thats OK. There are people making millions to do the job who get it wrong too.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 09:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And, you can have him as your on-air partner and rival!  ThumbsUp

I don't want that job no thanks !
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 01:12 PM)pulses Wrote: Good job at this point I like the majority of the players too....I just dont see Orlando Brown getting out of the 1st round IMO.

He is like a bigger Cam Robinson, but bigger doesn't mean better in the case of a potential LT.  I think there won't be many teams trying him at LT, but at RT.  If you have a lefty QB, they may jump up higher, but I really think RTs don't get near the attention in the draft as LTs.  

I remember loving Phil Loadholt, also out of Oklahoma if memory serves, as a MASSIVE tackle that I thought we could try and get in the 2nd.  He ended up going in the 4th to the Vikes and I was shocked that he slid that far.  He ended up being a very solid RT for them for years.  

RTs just don't get selected in Rd 1 very often.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 01:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I could get behind this.  However I think the lt need is so great you may need to get 1 in round 1.  

Of course you know who will be along talking about why you’re wrong not taking some tackle from Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took him in another SIM, but he was gone here.  It is really just for fun.  But, I am trying to convey that this team doesn't need sexy, it needs solid.  It doesn't need "skill", it needs beef.  It doesn't need weapons, it needs a fortress.  

I say all of that, but I keep finding myself becoming tempted by some of the top safeties in this draft.  If you could get a top tier safety, and you had pro bowl talent in the middle of the defensive line, LB corps, and safeties, it would go a long way to securing the middle of the field.  I think we have really good talent in the CB room, and the pass rushing ends, but the middle of the field is lacking.  

I stop myself short of drafting those safeties because they would probably just be wasted and told to play so far off coverage as to prevent any big plays, they will never make any on their own...I hope Austin changes that mindset, but I am not holding my breath.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 11:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lolz. Keep it up Jpoore. We need all the draft input we can get. Varying opinions are good. 

Some of your declarations are bold and not always right. But thats OK. There are people making millions to do the job who get it wrong too.
It why I love this board. Everyone has differing opinions but if we all agreed on the same things it wouldn't be any fun.
Reply/Quote