Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 11.0 2021, Moton only FA signed
I did this draft thinking about the lone FA I could see the Bengals signing. They can't afford to miss or plug and play a guy that is average at best. They sign Moton to play RT for them and release Hart.

Here is how the rest of the draft shaped up: NOTE: Used Fanspeak and tried to make selections that were realistic. If someone like Barmore was there in the third round (he wasn't), I didn't select him. I tried to make picks based on realistic round projections.

R1 P5 WR Ja'Marr Chase - LSU- This offense, with Moton and Williams outside, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, and Mixon just became lethal.

R2 P6 CB Tyson Campbell - Georgia: Long and experienced. Not a perfect prospect, but is very smooth and has great range.
Could start if WJIII is not retained, which I am starting to see as almost a certainty.

R3 P5 G Deonte Brown - Alabama: Massive man to start at RG. Gave up no sacks in 3 years and I never saw him move backward in blocking.

R4 P6 EDGE Chris Rumph II - Duke: Joker-type that is a magnet to the QB. Can line up anywhere and create pressure. Not very big, but incredibly quick and strong. Tremendous upside. If he was prototypical size, with his stats, would be a top 5 pick.

R5 P5 DL Tommy Togiai - Ohio State: High-character, tough as nails interior defender that has surprising agility for a big man.

R6 P6 CB Deommodore Lenoir - Oregon: Smooth and sticky developmental CB.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati: Our SS of the future. Draft and develop, even when you have a good one now.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina: Adios, Fat Randy and your calf (calves? Which one was it again? Both? My ass)

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I did this draft thinking about the lone FA I could see the Bengals signing.  They can't afford to miss or plug and play a guy that is average at best.  They sign Moton to play RT for them and release Hart.  

Here is how the rest of the draft shaped up:  NOTE:  Used Fanspeak and tried to make selections that were realistic.  If someone like Barmore was there in the third round (he wasn't), I didn't select him.  I tried to make picks based on realistic round projections.

R1 P5 WR Ja'Marr Chase - LSU-  This offense, with Moton and Williams outside, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, and Mixon just became lethal.

R2 P6 CB Tyson Campbell - Georgia:  Long and experienced.  Not a perfect prospect, but is very smooth and has great range.  
Could start if WJIII is not retained, which I am starting to see as almost a certainty.

R3 P5 G Deonte Brown - Alabama:  Massive man to start at RG.  Gave up no sacks in 3 years and I never saw him move backward in blocking.

R4 P6 EDGE Chris Rumph II - Duke:  Joker-type that is a magnet to the QB.  Can line up anywhere and create pressure.  Not very big, but incredibly quick and strong.  Tremendous upside.  If he was prototypical size, with his stats, would be a top 5 pick.

R5 P5 DL Tommy Togiai - Ohio State:  High-character, tough as nails interior defender that has surprising agility for a big man.

R6 P6 CB Deommodore Lenoir - Oregon:  Smooth and sticky developmental CB.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Our SS of the future.  Draft and develop, even when you have a good one now.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina:  Adios, Fat Randy and your calf (calves?  Which one was it again?  Both?  My ass)

Thoughts?

It's unfortunate that the Bengals have so many needs and not a bunch of extra picks to help address them.
While I'd prefer a TE, I can understand why that wasn't added.
I'm assuming that with this mock, Atkins is kept? And Lawson is re-signed? While I like Rumph's potential, I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet. So hopefully he'd be a rotational guy with Lawson and Hubbard.
I ask about Atkins because I'd nervous about Togiai being a starter too potentially. I'd prefer someone with more proven pass rush, but you may not be able to get that in the 5th round. Togiai seems like he could be a good backup DT though who could eventually become a 3-down guy in a year or two.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's unfortunate that the Bengals have so many needs and not a bunch of extra picks to help address them.
While I'd prefer a TE, I can understand why that wasn't added.
I'm assuming that with this mock, Atkins is kept? And Lawson is re-signed? While I like Rumph's potential, I don't think he's ready to be a starter yet. So hopefully he'd be a rotational guy with Lawson and Hubbard.
I ask about Atkins because I'd nervous about Togiai being a starter too potentially. I'd prefer someone with more proven pass rush, but you may not be able to get that in the 5th round. Togiai seems like he could be a good backup DT though who could eventually become a 3-down guy in a year or two.

I would cut Atkins (that hurts to say) and retain Lawson.  I think WJIII is gone.  The starter next to Reader at the beginning of the season could be Wren, Tupou, or even Hunt (I would like to see him back).  Rumph can line up all over and he has insane win %s.  He wouldn't be a starting linemen over Hubbard or Lawson, but would certainly come in on 2nd or 3rd and long when we kick Hubbard inside.  

Togiai proved a lot to me this year.  He has that drive that I want in a player.  

Based on what was available in Rds 2 and 3, the selection of CB and G just made a lot more sense than a DT.  Don't forget that Tupou was ascending and Hunt proved to be a nice addition down the stretch.  

Although I didn't include it, signing Soloman Thomas from SF for about 3 years and 16 million would make a TON of sense here and we could afford it in this scenario.  He is the odd man out there on the inside and he struggled outside.  Here, he could be that penetrating DT that could still hold up in the run game.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would cut Atkins (that hurts to say) and retain Lawson.  I think WJIII is gone.  The starter next to Reader at the beginning of the season could be Wren, Tupou, or even Hunt (I would like to see him back).  Rumph can line up all over and he has insane win %s.  He wouldn't be a starting linemen over Hubbard or Lawson, but would certainly come in on 2nd or 3rd and long when we kick Hubbard inside.  

Togiai proved a lot to me this year.  He has that drive that I want in a player.  

Based on what was available in Rds 2 and 3, the selection of CB and G just made a lot more sense than a DT.  Don't forget that Tupou was ascending and Hunt proved to be a nice addition down the stretch.  

Although I didn't include it, signing Soloman Thomas from SF for about 3 years and 16 million would make a TON of sense here and we could afford it in this scenario.  He is the odd man out there on the inside and he struggled outside.  Here, he could be that penetrating DT that could still hold up in the run game.  

I like Solomon Thomas as a stopgap redemption project too, but if he gets $5+ mill a year from someone, I hope it isn't the Bengals. He has only had 6.0 sacks in 48 games. That type of production is not worth $5+ mill IMO. I would think (or hope) he can be signed for $3-4 mill a year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I did this draft thinking about the lone FA I could see the Bengals signing.  They can't afford to miss or plug and play a guy that is average at best.  They sign Moton to play RT for them and release Hart.  

Here is how the rest of the draft shaped up:  NOTE:  Used Fanspeak and tried to make selections that were realistic.  If someone like Barmore was there in the third round (he wasn't), I didn't select him.  I tried to make picks based on realistic round projections.

R1 P5 WR Ja'Marr Chase - LSU-  This offense, with Moton and Williams outside, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, and Mixon just became lethal.

R2 P6 CB Tyson Campbell - Georgia:  Long and experienced.  Not a perfect prospect, but is very smooth and has great range.  

R3 P5 G Deonte Brown - Alabama:  Massive man to start at RG.  Gave up no sacks in 3 years and I never saw him move backward in blocking.

R4 P6 EDGE Chris Rumph II - Duke:  Joker-type that is a magnet to the QB.  Can line up anywhere and create pressure.  Not very big, but incredibly quick and strong.  Tremendous upside.  If he was prototypical size, with his stats, would be a top 5 pick.

R5 P5 DL Tommy Togiai - Ohio State:  High-character, tough as nails interior defender that has surprising agility for a big man.

R6 P6 CB Deommodore Lenoir - Oregon:  Smooth and sticky developmental CB.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Our SS of the future.  Draft and develop, even when you have a good one now.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina:  Adios, Fat Randy and your calf (calves?  Which one was it again?  Both?  My ass)

Thoughts?
not bad..wheres our TE? 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I like Solomon Thomas as a stopgap redemption project too, but if he gets $5+ mill a year from someone, I hope it isn't the Bengals. He has only had 6.0 sacks in 48 games. That type of production is not worth $5+ mill IMO. I would think (or hope) he can be signed for $3-4 mill a year.

Well, as I said earlier, he was a bit of a square peg being forced in to a round hole when they tried to play him outside.  It's funny because I remember scouting reports saying he was best as an inside penetrator, but lacked the speed to be an edge rusher.  The 49ers had a really strong defensive line and he simply didn't get the inside opportunities there.  I think he is the ultimate "buy low" stock, and while $5 million sounds like a lot to you and me, I think that is about what he is projected to receive.  It could be less, with the current situation on the cap.  

His advance stats in 2017, his rookie season and where he got the most starts and playing time, were pretty solid for a rookie playing end in a 3-4.  13 hurries, 11 QB hits, 1 sack, 34 solo tackles, 10 TFLs.  He simply didn't get as much playing time after that.

I really like him and think he would be a great fit here.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:17 PM)kalibengal Wrote: not bad..wheres our TE? 

With Wiggins and the kicker on the board in Rd 7, I will go with an UDFA to supplement Carter, Sample, and Uzo.  Every other draft pick than Lenoir (barring injury to starters, which we know happens) are very important to the starting lineup and I didn't see a TE at the talent level to push for starting time after Rd 3 even.  Plus, I don't rate that position as highly.  There will be a number of UDFA that could be solid roster depth at TE.  

Unless you have 15 picks in the first 3 rounds, you are going to have to make some tough decisions
Reply/Quote