Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 2.0 2020
This draft assumes NO THUNEY, which I really hope happens but if it doesn't:

Round 1 Pick 3: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (A+): No brainer

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A): Beast of a pass rushing DT

Round 3 Pick 3: Deonte Brown, OG, Alabama (A): One of the best guards in the draft. A mauler. I put him at RG.

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A+): Speed to burn, but coming from Gus's high school offense...needs polish but a scary option combined with Boyd and Higgins. If they play off him, easy completions. If they press him and miss, he's gone.

Round 5 Pick 3: Zaven Collins, DE/OLB, Tulsa (A+): I really doubt he lasts this long. Freak athlete and disruptive as hell.

Round 6 Pick 3: Tyreke Johnson, CB, Ohio State (A+): Not as polished as the other Buckeye CBs that have come out recently, but a steal here.

Round 7 Pick 3: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+): Won't be available this late but the other people on the sim don't know UC. Scouts will.

Round 7 Pick 12: Keith Duncan, K, Iowa (B): Didn't really research this kicker over any others. I just put kicker so we get rid of Fat Randy. You get the idea.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:45 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This draft assumes NO THUNEY, which I really hope happens but if it doesn't:

Round 1 Pick 3: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (A+):  No brainer

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A):  Beast of a pass rushing DT

Round 3 Pick 3: Deonte Brown, OG, Alabama (A):  One of the best guards in the draft.  A mauler.  I put him at RG.

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A+):  Speed to burn, but coming from Gus's high school offense...needs polish but a scary option combined with Boyd and Higgins.  If they play off him, easy completions.  If they press him and miss, he's gone.

Round 5 Pick 3: Zaven Collins, DE/OLB, Tulsa (A+):  I really doubt he lasts this long.  Freak athlete and disruptive as hell.

Round 6 Pick 3: Tyreke Johnson, CB, Ohio State (A+):  Not as polished as the other Buckeye CBs that have come out recently, but a steal here.

Round 7 Pick 3: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+):  Won't be available this late but the other people on the sim don't know UC.  Scouts will.

Round 7 Pick 12: Keith Duncan, K, Iowa (B):  Didn't really research this kicker over any others.  I just put kicker so we get rid of Fat Randy.  You get the idea.
I just don't know if Sewell is a "no Brainier" if there is a block buster deal then we have to consider making it. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:45 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This draft assumes NO THUNEY, which I really hope happens but if it doesn't:

Round 1 Pick 3: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon (A+):  No brainer

Round 2 Pick 3: Jaylen Twyman, DT, Pittsburgh (A):  Beast of a pass rushing DT

Round 3 Pick 3: Deonte Brown, OG, Alabama (A):  One of the best guards in the draft.  A mauler.  I put him at RG.

Round 4 Pick 3: Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn (A+):  Speed to burn, but coming from Gus's high school offense...needs polish but a scary option combined with Boyd and Higgins.  If they play off him, easy completions.  If they press him and miss, he's gone.

Round 5 Pick 3: Zaven Collins, DE/OLB, Tulsa (A+):  I really doubt he lasts this long.  Freak athlete and disruptive as hell.

Round 6 Pick 3: Tyreke Johnson, CB, Ohio State (A+):  Not as polished as the other Buckeye CBs that have come out recently, but a steal here.

Round 7 Pick 3: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati (A+):  Won't be available this late but the other people on the sim don't know UC.  Scouts will.

Round 7 Pick 12: Keith Duncan, K, Iowa (B):  Didn't really research this kicker over any others.  I just put kicker so we get rid of Fat Randy.  You get the idea.

I like that you doubled down on both OL and Pass Rushers, and were still able to find value at WR, CB, and even backup QB.  I agree with your sentiment on the Kicker.  Randy seems to miss too many kicks when they count.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:12 PM)J24 Wrote: I just don't know if Sewell is a "no Brainier" if there is a block buster deal then we have to consider making it. 

But if you do stay put and make the pick Sewell is a no brainer, so Racer is correct.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:12 PM)J24 Wrote: I just don't know if Sewell is a "no Brainier" if there is a block buster deal then we have to consider making it. 

I should have mentioned the only trade offer on this sim was to slide 5 spots and gain a second rounder.  Turning that down was a no brainer.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I like that you doubled down on both OL and Pass Rushers, and were still able to find value at WR, CB, and even backup QB.  I agree with your sentiment on the Kicker.  Randy seems to miss too many kicks when they count.

I have this nightmare scenario where we sign a couple key FA, nail the draft, and have the team stay healthy for an entire season (I know you are thinking:  "where is the nightmare") and with a 20 yard FG to win the Super Bowl, Randy doubles over holding his "cramped" calf (only to later hold a different calf) after shanking it wide right.  I am not letting another big game come down to that guy.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I should have mentioned the only trade offer on this sim was to slide 5 spots and gain a second rounder.  Turning that down was a no brainer.  

And that’s a much more realistic offer than some of the ones I’m seeing mentioned on here.

Reply/Quote

That is always a scenario to be ready for, though. Sewell is the no brainer pick if there is no blockbuster trade. If there is something crazy, sure, you take it but I don't think there is going to be some massive package to move up for Sewell. The tackle class is deep and full of talented guys; Sewell is just the crown jewel and on a different level than the rest of the prospects. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And that’s a much more realistic offer than some of the ones I’m seeing mentioned on here.

This year will be really hard to grasp.  Just how great is the drop off from Fields to Trey Lance, or even Kyle Trask.  My guess is Fields will dazzle in the playoff series (he will have to, as their defense isn't close to what it was last year) and the combine and will be very highly sought after at #2.  I can't see many scenarios where he doesn't go to Jax at #2.

That leaves Lance and, to a lesser extent, Trask as viable round 1 QB options.  This is a brief 'off the top of my head" list of teams that will be in the market for a QB on a rookie contract:

Carolina Panthers
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
SF 49ers
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Washington FT
Indianapolis colts
New Orleans Saints
pittsburgh

Listing those teams in order of current draft order tells me that there aren't really any desperate teams out there....I would say the Bears may be #1.  A lot of those teams have aging vets that could be close to finished.  Some have ho-hum options like Cousins, Bridgewater, or Alex Smith.  Some have a short term answer like Indy and the Pats.  Could I see any team likely to pick right behind the Bengals offer a ton to move up to get a QB?

Chargers- no
Cowboys- no
Falcons- Hmmm.   Probably no.
Panthers.  Hmmmm.  Again, probably no. 

The Bears are currently slated at #14 and it would take a shit ton for me to slide that far.  And I don't see them doing it.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't look to me like there could be the proverbial bidding war for that #3 pick.  At this point, like last year with Burrow, I am just assuming they get Sewell and I am working on the rest of the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This year will be really hard to grasp.  Just how great is the drop off from Fields to Trey Lance, or even Kyle Trask.  My guess is Fields will dazzle in the playoff series (he will have to, as their defense isn't close to what it was last year) and the combine and will be very highly sought after at #2.  I can't see many scenarios where he doesn't go to Jax at #2.

That leaves Lance and, to a lesser extent, Trask as viable round 1 QB options.  This is a brief 'off the top of my head" list of teams that will be in the market for a QB on a rookie contract:

Carolina Panthers
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
SF 49ers
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Washington FT
Indianapolis colts
New Orleans Saints
pittsburgh

Listing those teams in order of current draft order tells me that there aren't really any desperate teams out there....I would say the Bears may be #1.  A lot of those teams have aging vets that could be close to finished.  Some have ho-hum options like Cousins, Bridgewater, or Alex Smith.  Some have a short term answer like Indy and the Pats.  Could I see any team likely to pick right behind the Bengals offer a ton to move up to get a QB?

Chargers- no
Cowboys- no

The Bears are currently slated at #14 and it would take a shit ton for me to slide that far.  And I don't see them doing it.  

Unfortunately, it doesn't look to me like there could be the proverbial bidding war for that #3 pick.  At this point, like last year with Burrow, I am just assuming they get Sewell and I am working on the rest of the draft.  

Zach Wilson will be in the mix, too.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 11:37 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: That is always a scenario to be ready for, though. Sewell is the no brainer pick if there is no blockbuster trade. If there is something crazy, sure, you take it but I don't think there is going to be some massive package to move up for Sewell. The tackle class is deep and full of talented guys; Sewell is just the crown jewel and on a different level than the rest of the prospects. 

There are 6 first RD QBs and 4 that can go in the top 10 in the upcoming draft. there is a decent chance that someone moves up to 3(especially if Dallas doesn't keep Prescott). Also if Sewell is the can't miss prospect everyone is claiming then there will be interest from a contending team like Miami. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 11:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This year will be really hard to grasp.  Just how great is the drop off from Fields to Trey Lance, or even Kyle Trask.  My guess is Fields will dazzle in the playoff series (he will have to, as their defense isn't close to what it was last year) and the combine and will be very highly sought after at #2.  I can't see many scenarios where he doesn't go to Jax at #2.

Carolina Panthers
Detroit Lions
Denver Broncos
SF 49ers
Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
Washington FT
Indianapolis colts
New Orleans Saints
pittsburgh

Chargers- no
Cowboys- no

Cowboys, Falcons, and Panthers I could see all of them going after a QB none of those teams have a superstar QB and all of them will be looking at a QB.
Also both the Jaguars and Jets have first Rd picks later in the draft either team could draft Sewell and trade back in the top 10 to draft a QB. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 01:14 PM)J24 Wrote: Cowboys, Falcons, and Panthers I could see all of them going after a QB none of those teams have a superstar QB and all of them will be looking at a QB.
Also both the Jaguars and Jets have first Rd picks later in the draft either team could draft Sewell and trade back in the top 10 to draft a QB. 

While this makes a ton of sense in terms of getting the franchise LT AND a QB (Jax got Boselli and Brunell the same draft if I recall and it worked out damn well for them).  However, no one is going to pass on Lawrence.

I would hope Ja'Marr Chase would be our fallback option at #3 if Sewell is gone.  
Reply/Quote
Nice draft but really shows how we need more high picks with so many holes. I hope we are able to trade back and better this team more
Reply/Quote
The only way there will be a blockbuster offer is if the Jags or Jets take Sewell. The Jets could possibly do it if they get wind that Lawrence doesn't want to play in NY (not saying he doesn't, but if he didn't want to go there they could easily take Sewell and stick with Darnold.)

If that happens and Fields is still there at 3, then some team would give up quite a bit.

I don't see any other teams giving up a boatload to get any of the other QBs,
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 06:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only way there will be a blockbuster offer is if the Jags or Jets take Sewell.  The Jets could possibly do it if they get wind that Lawrence doesn't want to play in NY (not saying he doesn't, but if he didn't want to go there they could easily take Sewell and stick with Darnold.)

If that happens and Fields is still there at 3, then some team would give up quite a bit.

I don't see any other teams giving up a boatload to get any of the other QBs,

Miami is total position to move up take a needed OL to put them in top of NFL East position....and they have the draft picks.. thank you Texans
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 09:49 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Miami is total position to move up take a needed OL to put them in top of NFL East position....and they have the draft picks.. thank you Texans

They just took a couple OT’s early, and even if they did add Sewell it would not put them ahead of Buffalo, who is certainly the best team in that division right now.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They just took a couple OT’s early, and even if they did add Sewell it would not put them ahead of Buffalo, who is certainly the best team in that division right now.

You are probably correct they won;t trade p for OT though I have read disappointment overall in rookies but too early to jump ship on them.. Miami is in the best position to move around .. The team that could be interesting is Dallas, they have some real Line questions for the future.. could they move up to take Sewell? doubtful since they also like us have many holes in defense.. 

We will probably not be offered enough to trade out sadly since we really need more picks i top end of draft.. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 11:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You are probably correct they won;t trade p for OT though I have read disappointment overall in rookies but too early to jump ship on them.. Miami is in the best position to move around .. The team that could be interesting is Dallas, they have some real Line questions for the future.. could they move up to take Sewell? doubtful since they also like us have many holes in defense.. 

We will probably not be offered enough to trade out sadly since we really need more picks i top end of draft.. 
I would not be surprised if Dallas trades up for a QB. Would not be surprised if Prescott is somewhere else in 2021.
J24

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 05:22 PM)J24 Wrote: I would not be surprised if Dallas trades up for a QB. Would not be surprised if Prescott is somewhere else in 2021.

It would cost too much to get Lawrence or Fields. If they really want a QB (I don’t think they do Dak will be back) they will have their choice between Lance, Wilson, Trask, Jones. If they stay at 5, and 2 teams picking ahead of them are certainly not taking QB’s (us and the Chargers) they’ll have their choice for the 3rd QB off the board.

Reply/Quote