Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHRacerX Mock 8.0 2021: The Bully Draft (w/FA)
Every year, I end up with one draft that is a lot of "bullies". Immediately I am sure the Freds of the world will point out one guy on here that is not a bully, probably the kicker.

The point is, I tried to focus on physical, tough players to help give this team an identity. With Pollack back as offensive line coach, all I can say coach is....you're welcome.

The FA signees and cuts:

Sign Joe Thuney, 4 years, $45 million- Stud
Sign Alex Karros © 3 years, $9 million- Played next to Thuney for years at NE, strong, young center.
Sign Carl Lawson: 4 years, $60 million- Just started to show what he can do. With more talent around him...
Sign WJIII: 4 years, $40 million- Inconsistency is his middle name, but with better pass rush, could be elite.
Sign Mackenzie Alexander: 3 years, $16 million- Tough, smart, and great value
Sign DT Roy Robertson-Harris: 3 years, $12 million- Injured most of 2020, but a solid rotational piece in the middle
Sign DT Margus Hunt- 2 years, $2 million- Nice rotational piece

Cuts: Geno Atkins, Bobby Hart

The draft goes as follows (FANSPEAK):

R1 P5 OT Penei Sewell - Oregon: Our LT of the future.

R2 P6 OT Spencer Brown - Northern Iowa: Our RT of the future. Yep, I am moving Jonah to LG. This guy hasn't received a lot of attention but may be a bigger athletic freak than Penei Sewell: 6' 9", 325 lbs. Benches 500 lbs and squats 600 lbs. Has insane length. Looks like a HUGE TE, but is a complete bully with a nasty disposition. I love him. Moving Jonah to LG makes the line better. Period.

R3 P5 WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - LSU: Nice vertical weapon for Joe, but not his only strength. Lines up all over and can run any pattern. 6'3" and 200lbs with really good speed.

R4 P6 EDGE Tyree Johnson - Texas A&M: Some thought he might come out in 2022, but coming off the season Texas A&M had, could be a later round steal.

R5 P5 WR Nico Collins - Michigan: Horribly undervalued due to poor QB play and generally poor passing attack. Big, Strong, and great hands. Can get vertical. An injury in the WR corps? Won't kill them like before.

R6 P6 TE Quintin Morris - Bowling Green: If he played for a bigger program, or at least one that wasn't one of the worst in the league, he could be a day 2 pick. He was their ONLY offense, and had a shitty QB on top of it. Still couldn't be stopped. He will be a steal and will push to start immediately. Could allow Uzomah to be a cap cut.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati: Have no idea why he was still here, but he is a beast.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina: Have no idea why I got a 2nd 7th round pick, but just assume we will be signing one if not drafting in R7.

The offensive line would go:

Sewell- J. WIlliams- Karras- Thuney- Brown

Young, strong, tough, and with a bit of an attitude. Weapons galore on top of that for Joe. People will cry about the lack of DT, LB, or CB selections, but these players represented tremendous value where I got them. The offense is set, and the defense will have Reader,Waynes. Wren, and Tupou coming back with the addition of Robertson-Harris from the Bears.

This would also set them up to be drafting an edge rusher next year (not a very deep class this year) as well as CB.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Terrace Marshall in the 3rd would be amazing.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, I end up with one draft that is a lot of "bullies".  Immediately I am sure the Freds of the world will point out one guy on here that is not a bully, probably the kicker.

The point is, I tried to focus on physical, tough players to help give this team an identity.  With Pollack back as offensive line coach, all I can say coach is....you're welcome.

The FA signees and cuts:

Sign Alex Karros © 3 years, $9 million- Played next to Thuney for years at NE, strong, young center.
Sign Carl Lawson:  4 years, $60 million- Just started to show what he can do.  With more talent around him...
Sign WJIII:  4 years, $40 million- Inconsistency is his middle name, but with better pass rush, could be elite.
Sign Mackenzie Alexander:  3 years, $16 million-  Tough, smart, and great value
Sign DT Roy Robertson-Harris:  3 years, $12 million- Injured most of 2020, but a solid rotational piece in the middle
Sign DT Margus Hunt- 2 years, $2 million-  Nice rotational piece

Cuts:  Geno Atkins, Bobby Hart

R1 P5 OT Penei Sewell - Oregon:  Our LT of the future.  

R2 P6 OT Spencer Brown - Northern Iowa: Our RT of the future.  Yep, I am moving Jonah to LG.  This guy hasn't received a lot of attention but may be a bigger athletic freak than Penei Sewell:  6' 9", 325 lbs.  Benches 500 lbs and squats 600 lbs.  Has insane length.  Looks like a HUGE TE, but is a complete bully with a nasty disposition.  I love him.  Moving Jonah to LG makes the line better.  Period.  

R3 P5 WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - LSU:  Nice vertical weapon for Joe, but not his only strength.  Lines up all over and can run any pattern.  6'3" and 200lbs with really good speed.  

R4 P6 EDGE Tyree Johnson - Texas A&M:  Some thought he might come out in 2022, but coming off the season Texas A&M had, could be a later round steal.

R5 P5 WR Nico Collins - Michigan:  Horribly undervalued due to poor QB play and generally poor passing attack.  Big, Strong, and great hands.  Can get vertical.  An injury in the WR corps?  Won't kill them like before.

R6 P6 TE Quintin Morris - Bowling Green:  If he played for a bigger program, or at least one that wasn't one of the worst in the league, he could be a day 2 pick.  He was their ONLY offense, and had a shitty QB on top of it.  Still couldn't be stopped.  He will be a steal and will push to start immediately.  Could allow Uzomah to be a cap cut.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Have no idea why he was still here, but he is a beast.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina:  Have no idea why I got a 2nd 7th round pick, but just assume we will be signing one if not drafting in R7.

Young, strong, tough, and with a bit of an attitude.  Weapons galore on top of that for Joe.  People will cry about the lack of DT, LB, or CB selections, but these players represented tremendous value where I got them.  The offense is set, and the defense will have Reader,Waynes. Wren, and Tupou coming back with the addition of Robertson-Harris from the Bears.  

This would also set them up to be drafting an edge rusher next year (not a very deep class this year) as well as CB.  

Thoughts?

Current cap space for 2021 (expected $175 mill cap floor + $10.1 mill rollover) = $34.5 mill
Cutting Atkins, Hart: $9.6+$5.9 = $15.5 mill
Total cap after cuts = $50 mill

The FAs you mention to sign: $49.58 mill APY.

If you don't cut more people, you won't be able to sign your draft picks unless the actual 2021 cap ends up being higher than $176 mill.

Also, I'm seeing Marshall and Collins projected at least a round higher than you have them at.
TDN has Marshall at 25th overall prospect, Collins at 53rd overall prospect. While their rankings aren't gospel, they seem to be high on these guys. As such, the Bengals may not get to take them as late as you have them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Didn't the second, 7th round pick come from the Dunlap trade? BTW, great mock and free agency take.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Current cap space for 2021 (expected $175 mill cap floor + $10.1 mill rollover) = $34.5 mill
Cutting Atkins, Hart: $9.6+$5.9 = $15.5 mill
Total cap after cuts = $50 mill

The FAs you mention to sign: $49.58 mill APY.

If you don't cut more people, you won't be able to sign your draft picks unless the actual 2021 cap ends up being higher than $176 mill.

Also, I'm seeing Marshall and Collins projected at least a round higher than you have them at.
TDN has Marshall at 25th overall prospect, Collins at 53rd overall prospect. While their rankings aren't gospel, they seem to be high on these guys. As such, the Bengals may not get to take them as late as you have them.

Has that $175 million dollar been announced?  I have heard up to 190?

And for the love of God, THIS IS A SIM.  Projected rounds don't matter.  It goes by Draftek's current player board matched with team needs.  One round?  Do you really think that we know what round everyone will be drafted in ONE DAY before the draft let alone three months?  Maybe we can just make a stick above all the mock drafts where people can post about how guys will never be there in that round.  This, despite other teams having the ability to take them and they went elsewhere.  It isn't like they didn't make a selection?  

I really enjoy mock drafts and I don't mind (in fact, I encourage it) criticism about a player (Hey, I don't like that guy because...) but arguing the rounds and discounting the players is just annoying.

Sorry, I think I have done 8 mock drafts and might have 30 comments about how players won't be available and 0 comments about certain players.

Maybe I should just give people more to ***** about like a mock where there is no sim and I just take the first 7 rated players as my first seven picks.  That should keep everyone busy for a while.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 03:59 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Has that $175 million dollar been announced?  I have heard up to 190?

And for the love of God, THIS IS A SIM.  Projected rounds don't matter.  It goes by Draftek's current player board matched with team needs.  One round?  Do you really think that we know what round everyone will be drafted in ONE DAY before the draft let alone three months?  Maybe we can just make a stick above all the mock drafts where people can post about how guys will never be there in that round.  This, despite other teams having the ability to take them and they went elsewhere.  It isn't like they didn't make a selection?  

I really enjoy mock drafts and I don't mind (in fact, I encourage it) criticism about a player (Hey, I don't like that guy because...) but arguing the rounds and discounting the players is just annoying.

Sorry, I think I have done 8 mock drafts and might have 30 comments about how players won't be available and 0 comments about certain players.

Maybe I should just give people more to ***** about like a mock where there is no sim and I just take the first 7 rated players as my first seven picks.  That should keep everyone busy for a while.  

The $175 mill hasn't been announced, but neither has $190. So it's safest to try to structure cap around the number you know, which is the floor at this moment.

As for the rounds, I specified why I was criticizing. Sims are typically less realistic than making one without and going by approximate prospect rankings. But as I also pointed out, different sites have players ranked differently. I actually haven't bothered with Fanspeak ever since I did one last month where Kyle Pitts ended up in Rd 2. 

Take it or leave it, but my typical approach to mocks:
- I compare prospect rankings across a few different (free) sites to get a general idea of where they are generally projected. That's typically TDN, Walter Football, PFF, Pro Football Network. I'll reference CBS Sports occasionally too, but I find Trapasso doesn't keep his stuff updated like Brugler and Rang used to.
- Once I know where the Bengals pick (tankathon.com has the pick numbers for every round), I try to find a guy I like around that prospect ranking or later. So if the Bengals are picking 38th, I'm typically picking someone in the 35-65 range.

I realize not everyone goes about it that way, and I also realize there's no one prospect rankings site that's 100% accurate.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Every year, I end up with one draft that is a lot of "bullies".  Immediately I am sure the Freds of the world will point out one guy on here that is not a bully, probably the kicker.

The point is, I tried to focus on physical, tough players to help give this team an identity.  With Pollack back as offensive line coach, all I can say coach is....you're welcome.

The FA signees and cuts:

Sign Carl Lawson:  4 years, $60 million- Just started to show what he can do.  With more talent around him...
Sign WJIII:  4 years, $40 million- Inconsistency is his middle name, but with better pass rush, could be elite.
Sign Mackenzie Alexander:  3 years, $16 million-  Tough, smart, and great value
Sign DT Roy Robertson-Harris:  3 years, $12 million- Injured most of 2020, but a solid rotational piece in the middle
Sign DT Margus Hunt- 2 years, $2 million-  Nice rotational piece

Cuts:  Geno Atkins, Bobby Hart

R1 P5 OT Penei Sewell - Oregon:  Our LT of the future.  

R2 P6 OT Spencer Brown - Northern Iowa: Our RT of the future.  Yep, I am moving Jonah to LG.  This guy hasn't received a lot of attention but may be a bigger athletic freak than Penei Sewell:  6' 9", 325 lbs.  Benches 500 lbs and squats 600 lbs.  Has insane length.  Looks like a HUGE TE, but is a complete bully with a nasty disposition.  I love him.  Moving Jonah to LG makes the line better.  Period.  

R3 P5 WR Terrace Marshall Jr. - LSU:  Nice vertical weapon for Joe, but not his only strength.  Lines up all over and can run any pattern.  6'3" and 200lbs with really good speed.  

R4 P6 EDGE Tyree Johnson - Texas A&M:  Some thought he might come out in 2022, but coming off the season Texas A&M had, could be a later round steal.

R5 P5 WR Nico Collins - Michigan:  Horribly undervalued due to poor QB play and generally poor passing attack.  Big, Strong, and great hands.  Can get vertical.  An injury in the WR corps?  Won't kill them like before.

R6 P6 TE Quintin Morris - Bowling Green:  If he played for a bigger program, or at least one that wasn't one of the worst in the league, he could be a day 2 pick.  He was their ONLY offense, and had a shitty QB on top of it.  Still couldn't be stopped.  He will be a steal and will push to start immediately.  Could allow Uzomah to be a cap cut.

R7 P5 S James Wiggins - Cincinnati:  Have no idea why he was still here, but he is a beast.

R7 P7 K Grayson Atkins - North Carolina:  Have no idea why I got a 2nd 7th round pick, but just assume we will be signing one if not drafting in R7.

Young, strong, tough, and with a bit of an attitude.  Weapons galore on top of that for Joe.  People will cry about the lack of DT, LB, or CB selections, but these players represented tremendous value where I got them.  The offense is set, and the defense will have Reader,Waynes. Wren, and Tupou coming back with the addition of Robertson-Harris from the Bears.  

Thoughts?

I always love these scenarios albeit unrealistic.  Thuney can also play RT.  I really hope Bengals sign him.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 03:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't the second, 7th round pick come from the Dunlap trade?  BTW, great mock and free agency take.

Yes!  Thank you!  I didn't realize why it was an early 7th rounder.  
Reply/Quote
Brandon Scherff > Joe Thuney.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2021, 09:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Brandon Scherff > Joe Thuney.

Thuney gets the edge in durability though. He’s never missed a single game.

Reply/Quote