Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Article
One tidbit of note, is that we can add Mike Nolan's name to the DC reject list

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/brian-flores-dolphins-zac-taylor-bengals-super-bowl-coaches-kyler-murray-scouts-kaepernick-reid

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 11:16 AM)pally Wrote: One tidbit of note, is that we can add Mike Nolan's name to the DC reject list

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/18/brian-flores-dolphins-zac-taylor-bengals-super-bowl-coaches-kyler-murray-scouts-kaepernick-reid

Disappointed about Nolan because I thought he'd have been a good choice, though the article really only mentioned him in passing.  Zac doesn't sound like a guy in panic mode.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Interesting. He was on a lot of the initial lists I saw as targets then we heard nothing.

I think the part in the article about how he's evaluating the roster is interesting. That hopefully means guys like Nickerson move on or play special teams only.
Reply/Quote
So everyone is following that plan and we know that we got plenty of time. It seems like we've got to be rushed but we really don't."

No rush??  I guess he figures he has at least 16 years to get it right.

Gaah
Reply/Quote
They've already missed all the e/w shrine and seniorbowl practice/games (Yes you can get game and practice film, as posters keep saying, but it's the interviews etc that they have missed).

Defensive coaches missing the scouting combine is looking more and more likely.

This is "interesting" no doubt.

Not many is going to say this is a recipe for a successful offseason, so posters don't get your feelings hurt when the Bengals are ranked last in power rankings and rumored to go 0-16.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: They've already missed all the e/w shrine and seniorbowl practice/games (Yes you can get game and practice film, as posters keep saying, but it's the interviews etc that they have missed).

Defensive coaches missing the scouting combine is looking more and more likely.

This is "interesting" no doubt.

Not many is going to say this is a recipe for a successful offseason, so posters don't get your feelings hurt when the Bengals are ranked last in power rankings and rumored to go 0-16.

0-16 would be a pretty silly prediction. There’s just too much talent on this team to not win at least a handful of games.

Reply/Quote
If coach Taylor isn't sweating the DC position, maybe we shouldn't be either. This guy is really growing on me. He has ice water in his veins which is a good trait for someone leading. He's not rushing into any bad decisions, everything is thought out.
Reply/Quote
The longer this rolls on, the more apparent it is that either:

a) We had poor planning

or

b) We've failed to get any of our top options

Maybe both. Sure, they can spin it by having Taylor tell everyone to R-E-L-A-X and pretending this is all about finding the right guy, but lets be real. Taylor and the FO should've know who the "right guy" was a month ago. We're clearly having to settle for something less than what they wanted, and now they're in damage control mode with the (understandably) sensitive fan base.

It's still possible that we find a good coach, but it won't be a guy Taylor wanted initially.

TL/DR: I don't buy that the search is taking this long because they're being thorough and looking for the right guy. They should've known who the right guy was in mid-January.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The longer this rolls on, the more apparent it is that either:

a) We had poor planning

or

Maybe both. Sure, they can spin it by having Taylor tell everyone to R-E-L-A-X and pretending this is all about finding the right guy, but lets be real. Taylor and the FO should've know who the "right guy" was a month ago. We're clearly having to settle for something less than what they wanted, and now they're in damage control mode with the (understandably) sensitive fan base.

It's still possible that we find a good coach, but it won't be a guy Taylor wanted initially.

TL/DR: I don't buy that the search is taking this long because they're being thorough and looking for the right guy. They should've known who the right guy was in mid-January.

Apparently, Taylor wanted Allen from the beginning and thought he could land him. People can call that foolish or a pipe dream (which it probably was) but that's who he had his sights set on. When that didn't happen, he moved on to others. 

Unless he has defensive guys that he knows extremely well, the only way to determine who the 'right guy' is to talk to them, make a judgement of how they fit what you want to do and determine if you think you'll be comfortable working with them. Even if you find a guy you like and offer him the job, there's no guarantee he'll take it (Grantham). 

Taylor has to keep at it until he finds someone he's good with and that someone has to want to be here. Just my opinion brother, but when that happens...then they'll have the right guy.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The longer this rolls on, the more apparent it is that either:

a) We had poor planning

or

Agreed. I can go look at a list of coordinators salaries and know which guys would likely come and who wouldn't.

IF they find the right guy, it's going to be by accident...not because they were thorough...because we're quite far down the list now.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. I can go look at a list of coordinators salaries and know which guys would likely come and who wouldn't.

IF they find the right guy, it's going to be by accident...not because they were thorough...because we're quite far down the list now.

Like I said, it would be easier to be mellow about this DC search if we weren't also trying to convince ourselves that our bottom-tier defense of 2018 was due to picking the wrong DC.  We are hoping last year's DC was such an awful pick that he ruined everything, but hey...take it easy...this year's DC search is no biggie.
Reply/Quote
Did everyone miss the part where Belicheat said playing in the Super Bowl means you start 5 weeks behind everyone else?
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Like I said, it would be easier to be mellow about this DC search if we weren't also trying to convince ourselves that our bottom-tier defense of 2018 was due to picking the wrong DC.  We are hoping last year's DC was such an awful pick that he ruined everything, but hey...take it easy...this year's DC search is no biggie.

In any industry...it's hard to find 11+ candidates that you'd like to hire.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In any industry...it's hard to find 11+ candidates that you'd like to hire.

I'm just worried our offense didn't have this much trouble finding an OC to come on board.  They're going to be way less motivated than the defense this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Did everyone miss the part where Belicheat said playing in the Super Bowl means you start 5 weeks behind everyone else?

Meanwhile our new coach says there is no rush.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: But who was the 'right guy' in January? Apparently, Taylor wanted Allen from the beginning and thought he could land him. People can call that foolish or a pipe dream (which it probably was) but that's who he had his sights set on. When that didn't happen, he moved on to others. 

Unless he has defensive guys that he knows extremely well, the only way to determine who the 'right guy' is to talk to them, make a judgement of how they fit what you want to do and determine if you think you'll be comfortable working with them. Even if you find a guy you like and offer him the job, there's no guarantee he'll take it (Grantham). 

Taylor has to keep at it until he finds someone he's good with and that someone has to want to be here. Just my opinion brother, but when that happens...then they'll have the right guy.

Potential head coaches are supposed to network and be ready for when this moment arrives...but Taylor is a very young guy. That said, so is Flores and he had all his spots filled 10 days ago. It does look like Dennis Allen was the primary target, but with a target like that (a guy who isn't likely to take a lateral move to an inferior team) we should've had a clear plan B, C and D.

When you have a clear plan with guys in mind, that tends to expedite the process. Unless Taylor has something very specific he wants, he should already have a very good idea if the coach will be a fit before he even interviews. 

When you add up how many names we've been associated with, with several rejections mixed in (Grantham, Capers, Aaron Glenn, Hafley, etc) and how long this is taking, it's clear we either had poor plans or didn't get any of our top options. I respect the Bengals and Taylor trying to save face, but I'm not buying that this has taken so long simply because they're doing a thorough search.

It sounds nice, it's a nice spin to put on it, but looking at the list of name we've been associated with (and what happened) tells a different story:

Dennis Allen: Predictably stayed with the Saints
Jack Del Rio: Apparently Taylor didn't want him
Dom Capers: Said no thanks, for whatever reason you want to insert
Todd Granthem: Turned us down for various reasons
Aubrey Pleasant: Little has been said, but it's apparent we're not interested
Aaron Glenn: Blocked by Saints
Jeff Hafley: Turned us down
Vance Joseph: Apparently we were interested, but he said he'd only come to Cincy as a HC
Marquand Manuel: Rumored interest in an interview hasn't amounted to anything

...and I think I'm forgetting a couple of names here.

Just the number of names on the list is alarming. Sure, the Bengals can paint this as them casting a wide net and being thorough, but the amount of blocks/rejections (6 at least) on the list kinda goes against that narrative and makes it seem like we're likely having to scramble.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Potential head coaches are supposed to network and be ready for when this moment arrives...but Taylor is a very young guy. That said, so is Flores and he had all his spots filled 10 days ago. It does look like Dennis Allen was the primary target, but with a target like that (a guy who isn't likely to take a lateral move to an inferior team) we should've had a clear plan B, C and D.

When you have a clear plan with guys in mind, that tends to expedite the process. Unless Taylor has something very specific he wants, he should already have a very good idea if the coach will be a fit before he even interviews. 

When you add up how many names we've been associated with, with several rejections mixed in (Grantham, Capers, Aaron Glenn, Hafley, etc) and how long this is taking, it's clear we either had poor plans or didn't get any of our top options. I respect the Bengals and Taylor trying to save face, but I'm not buying that this has taken so long simply because they're doing a thorough search.

It sounds nice, it's a nice spin to put on it, but looking at the list of name we've been associated with (and what happened) tells a different story:

Vance Joseph: Apparently we were interested, but he said he'd only come to Cincy as a HC

...and I think I'm forgetting a couple of names here.

Just the number of names on the list is alarming. Sure, the Bengals can paint this as them casting a wide net and being thorough, but the amount of blocks/rejections (6 at least) on the list kinda goes against that narrative and makes it seem like we're likely having to scramble.

It's definitely concerning. How many jobs do you know where they can find 7-8-9-10-11 good candidates?

They have to be scrambling at this point big-time to even find names willing to come in.
Reply/Quote
only true negative will be when we finally land a guy.... theres no way we can say its who we wanted... And whoever we hire will feel like the friend you call when your other friends be busy.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Potential head coaches are supposed to network and be ready for when this moment arrives...but Taylor is a very young guy. That said, so is Flores and he had all his spots filled 10 days ago. It does look like Dennis Allen was the primary target, but with a target like that (a guy who isn't likely to take a lateral move to an inferior team) we should've had a clear plan B, C and D.

But, that's the thing...there are reasons behind each of those. We turned down Joesph for HC, so can't blame him for not wanting the runner up prize with the same team. Allen was always a serious longshot. There was a conversation with both Del Rio and Capers, but the mutual interest just wasn't there. Grantham chose to go back to UF for a much sweeter deal. Glenn was blocked. Hafley has just signed with OSU a month prior and wanted to honor that. 

We really don't know what did or didn't happen with the likes of Nolan, Pleasant and Manuel because there's been next to no information. However, when you look at the other cases individually (IMO) it doesn't look nearly as bad as when you look at it as a whole. They've looked at different guys, talked to some guys, but to this point...haven't been able to find a match that worked for both sides.

Whoever they end up with...I want it to be a guy that Taylor absolutely wants by his side, and also a guy that absolutely wants the job. I'm honestly not sure what fans are wanting. Are they wanting expediency just for the sake of getting the process over with? Are they wanting Taylor to pick someone he doesn't really want to work with? Are they wanting him to hogtie a guy and force him to take the job?  Mellow

The fact is, whatever people's opinion may be of the process, there will eventually be a new DC named...and then we can hopefully start talking about how good or bad he is within seconds of him being hired.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
"He still hasn’t watched free agents, but he’ll make time for that soon in a schedule that starts every day at Paul Brown Stadium at 6 a.m., with a film session with Callahan, then meetings with owner Mike Brown and personnel chief Duke Tobin."

For those who think Brown isn't involved...
Reply/Quote