Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SI Article on Bengals Identity
With all of the talk about Bengals offensive identity, the "fire Zac" and so forth going on the past couple of weeks, here is an interesting article that breaks it all down and even offers some plausible suggestions to improve the offense going forward.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/analyzing-cincinnati-bengals-scheme-identity-how-to-improve-it-moving-forward

Quote:Throughout this week there has been quite a bit of talk about the Bengals “lacking an identity” under head coach Zac Taylor. After a close loss against the Pittsburgh Steelers with Jake Browning at quarterback, an emotional reaction occurred and the topics of the Bengals identity as a team, their scheme, play calling, and head coach all seemed to come into question.

Let’s take a deeper look at the Bengals identity, scheme, and how they can improve it moving forward:

The Bengals Identity

The Bengals have a clear and well defined identity. They are a pass heavy, spread, shotgun team. This is evident by their pass rate over expected (top in the league), shotgun usage (top in the league), 11 personnel usage (2nd highest in the league). They believe that they have better talent than the opponent and line up to prove it every week which can be shown by their target distribution. They have the second highest percentage of passes going to wide receivers in the league. All of these tendencies were also true last season as they were second in pass rate over expected, shotgun usage, and 11 personnel usage.

You never go into a Bengals game and wonder what they will look like on offense. Joe Burrow will be in the shotgun a majority of the game, the receivers will be spreading the field from sideline to sideline, and they will be in 11 personnel most of the game.

They have built this team to work in their spread scheme. Everything is constructed to work with it. They have one of the best wide receiver groups in the NFL, they picked a tight end in free agency who is more of a receiver than a blocker, and they find offensive linemen who are comfortable pass setting. The next question becomes if this is the right scheme for the team.

Is the Spread Right For the Bengals?

This spread and shred identity of the Bengals on offense is exactly what Burrow wants as a quarterback. He likes to get five guys in the passing pattern. He likes to give his receivers a chance when they are isolated, he likes to work out of the shotgun a majority of the time, and he likes controlling the game and having the offense run through him.

The most common offense across the NFL is the Shanahan/McVay west coast offense. However, the modern west coast offense is everything Burrow has been ineffective at during his career. Turning his back to the defense, working under center, and not having as much control at the line of scrimmage to get the team into the right passing play.

Putting him in that offense would be trying to force a square peg in a round hole. It’s what coaches used to do in the early 2000s because their system was more important than the quarterback playing in it. Now, every team builds their system to the quarterback and caters to them. The Ravens have a unique system for Lamar Jackson. Andy Reid has built a Pat Mahomes-centric system in Kansas City. The Eagles have a unique system for Jalen Hurts.

The Dolphins didn’t take off as an offense until the system was built for Tua Tagovailoa, and even the Rams did not win a Super Bowl until they got Matt Stafford and allowed the offense to work through him rather than having an offense work around Jared Goff.

The spread and shred identity of the Bengals will [most likely] always be what they look like as a team. There is a give and take with getting Burrow under center more often to try to get shot plays off of play action and a more effective run game, but overall that’s never going to be the identity of the offense. Burrow is not just a cog in the offensive machine. He is the machine.

Personnel wise this is also pretty much all they can do this season. Outside of the offensive line, they have one good blocker in Drew Sample. They cannot get heavy with multiple tight ends because Tanner Hudson, Mitchell Wilcox, Irv Smith, and every wide receiver lacks the ability to block. The run game design and personnel is for them to beat teams on the ground when they sell out to stop the passing game. We saw this work against the Ravens in the game Burrow got hurt.

In the seven carries that Mixon had before Burrow went down, he picked up 43 yards (6.14 yards per carry), with five of those plays being successful run plays (71.4%). They found a way to punish Baltimore on the ground for being in two-high (safety) shells the entire game. The Bengals had a 0% success rate against the Steelers and ran for 16 yards on eight carries (2-yards per carry). They are not built to deal with the extra man in the box with who they have on this team.

There is a common argument as well that the offense is actually just Burrow hero ball, but that isn't true.

Let's look at last season, since Burrow was fully healthy. We can find some statistics that disprove that argument.

Burrow threw 92.7% of his passes from the pocket last year. His average time to throw was 2.4 seconds. Those plays are not Burrow creating something out of nothing from a bad play call, those are plays that worked within the structure of the Bengals offense. The Bengals offense was seventh in points per game, fourth in offensive DVOA, and fifth in EPA per play. They even averaged 28 points per game in games without Ja’Marr Chase. By all accounts an elite offense that mostly occurred within the structure of the Bengals offensive system that was hand crafted to suit Burrow.

Of course, there is room for improvement.

Tweaks To Improve The Bengals Offense Next Year

Assuming that Tee Higgins is tagged and kept on the team for next season, the Bengals can improve their offense by tweaking a few things.

Personnel wise, the Bengals need to find a tight end that is competent as both a receiver and a blocker. Even better if they can find a guy who is a plus player in one of those areas, while being competent in the other or the Goldilocks tight end that is a plus player in both areas.

This would be a slight change in philosophy from what they have looked for in that position the last couple years. They have attempted to find the good receiver and hand waived the blocking part away, but they need to value the blocking a tight end can bring more often. Their run game involves tight ends having to block defensive ends. Duo and power are both run concepts that require tight ends to block the defensive end in front of them. They could also lean a little bit more into 12 personnel if they found this tight end which would give them a change-up from their usual 11 personnel looks. If the tight end is unable to block, then defenses can treat it like 11 personnel without any drawbacks. However, 12 personnel with two tight ends that can block would allow the Bengals to grind opposing teams with their run game.

Schematically, they should give Burrow more easy buttons on offense. The current offense is just very difficult for everyone involved but especially the quarterback. Rather than making their runs RPOs where Burrow needs to think and read post snap, give him true run plays where he can just turn his brain off and take a breather.

Burrow also has a slight tendency to throw the RPO rather than hand it off. That’s why there are so many screen passes on early downs. It’s typically some type of throwing option on a run play. The Bengals started to go under center some in the 49ers game and they should continue to do that. It will not be the identity of the offense, but going under center improves the run game in theory while also allowing for boots and easy gains off of play action. Burrow has shown that this style of offense shouldn’t be what he does primarily, but it could help the offense to throw in there once in a while. It was effective when they got to it this season for a few plays in a game.

When it comes to Taylor's play calling, it could benefit them to get to some run concepts more often and build more play action off of them. The Bengals are effective on both power and trap concepts and could stand to call them with a bit more frequency. They have shown effective play action off of these concepts when they pull the guard.

They can still major in duo and tight zone as an offense, because those runs work against almost any front, but they should find a way to get fronts they like to run power and trap more often as well to help their play action game. Also with their pass heavy tendencies they should call more running back draws to help slow the pass rush. Run heavy teams fake the run and throw the pass with play action. Pass heavy teams should fake the pass and run with draw plays.

Lastly, they could use a highly touted pick along their offensive line. Insert either a round 1 offensive tackle or a round 2 interior lineman into the offense that is a highly touted, athletic player with strength. They have built a decent offensive line with a ton of free agents and cash, but in the past three years, they have not attempted much at offensive line other than day 3 picks and Jackson Carman. Day 3 picks rarely hit (especially for the Bengals) and Carman was seen as a reach by most draft analysts. Carman also didn't go through athletic testing pre-draft and doesn't play like a top of the line athlete.

The defensive backs room has flourished with young, athletic talent after the Bengals spent three premium picks on the position group and a late 3rd rounder that seems to have hit in Jordan Battle as well. Now it’s time to inject cheap young talent in the offensive line room.

Contrary to what some people seem to claim, the Bengals offensive system has been effective. This year felt like a waste because of the injuries to the quarterback, but that doesn't mean that they need to dismantle the established offense board by board. They should continue to grow the offensive system that Burrow prefers to play in with minor tweaks to make it more effective.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Wow. This was one of the best reads I've had on this forum ever. So we need a back up QB that likes spread mismatches to make a pass first run second offense work? I guess we are selling out to get the type of players that fit this non-traditional system in the NFL. Once the Joey B era is over, it's going to require a full facelift for our offense.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 03:13 PM)Yogo Wrote: Wow.  This was one of the best reads I've had on this forum ever.  So we need a back up QB that likes spread mismatches to make a pass first run second offense work?  I guess we are selling out to get the type of players that fit this non-traditional system in the NFL.  Once the Joey B era is over, it's going to require a full facelift for our offense.

Yes, it really helped me adjust my perspective as to what is currently going on with the Bengals.  Even though the roster has the personnel it does by design, because it is for the offense that Burrow wants to run, it is still imperfect.  They simply must have another reliable formation, personnel package, play set that they can go to and achieve a degree of success when defenses seem to have the regular diagnosed.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like it
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
they are being way more positive than how the team looks lol
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 09:41 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: they are being way more positive than how the team looks lol

Are they really? I read it as they were just giving a no-spin account of what the Bengals offensive identity actually is, and ways that they can improve upon it.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 02:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With all of the talk about Bengals offensive identity, the "fire Zac" and so forth going on the past couple of weeks, here is an interesting article that breaks it all down and even offers some plausible suggestions to improve the offense going forward.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/analyzing-cincinnati-bengals-scheme-identity-how-to-improve-it-moving-forward

Great article. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 10:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are they really? I read it as they were just giving a no-spin account of what the Bengals offensive identity actually is, and ways that they can improve upon it.

I think everyone knows the offense is built around Joe and his preferences. I think the problem a lot of people have is that Jake said he wanted to run the offense. Zac said we're gonna run the offense. Jake ain't Joe. It's the staff's job to acknowledge that and adjust. How do they do that? I dunno... It's not my job to know.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 10:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are they really? I read it as they were just giving a no-spin account of what the Bengals offensive identity actually is, and ways that they can improve upon it.

This.  Great article.
Reply/Quote
Great read. I’ve been critical of the bengals offense and the main reason is the browns and ravens have figured us out.

The bengals need more balance and deception. The article mentions running more draws and that is a great point and something we were great at last year with Perine.

That said, they need to develop their under center game more. I liked what they did against the 9ers and bills. They need to build on that because in the past when they went under center it was obvious it was a run and the defense knew what to expect.

My major beef with the offense is that defenses know what to expect far too often. We are predictable and that’s why the browns are able to tee off on us defensively.

They need to develop more balance, with more deceptive concepts and routes. Use motion, plays that look similar but attack different areas of the defense. As much as burrow doesn’t like going under center and the offense is pass heavy by design, they need more balance. The colts always passed the ball a lot with Peyton and it wasn’t until they really developed the run game and defense that they won a Super Bowl. Great defenses can shut down elite passing attacks and you simply have to find other ways to win. If your winning formula is always the same, teams know what to expect. If you have a diverse scheme and you can win running or passing, that’s when you are tough to beat. We need to be able to lean on the running game and win by running the ball one week, and passing the next. We need to be able to adjust our scheme to the team we are playing and attack their weaknesses better.

To me the players make this scheme better and not the other way around. All I want and I think any bengals fans wants is for the scheme to make the players better. If that were the case we would be champs. You look at the patriots or chiefs recently, that scheme makes the players better. They’ve gotten it done with no name receivers. It’s my belief that the running game, oline, and defense are more important than who you have to throw the ball to and Tom Brady is the perfect example of that.

For a few years now the bengals have had arguably the best wide receiver group in the nfl. Yet, they have not maximized their production. Burrow hasn’t won an mvp with all that talent. To me that screams that scheme is the issue. They need to continually tweak it and improve it and find ways to be more balanced and less predictable. When they do that the sky is the limit, not less than 24 points per game in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
.... so what he is saying is rebuild the TE and RB rooms? Lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 04:54 PM)Synric Wrote: .... so what he is saying is rebuild the TE and RB rooms? Lol

Yes....and possibly a different philosophy on offensive line players.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 02:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With all of the talk about Bengals offensive identity, the "fire Zac" and so forth going on the past couple of weeks, here is an interesting article that breaks it all down and even offers some plausible suggestions to improve the offense going forward.

Good luck getting haters to read it. I posted it twice in the trash Zac Taylor threads and hardly anyone read it. They don't want to acknowledge facts and truth. I keep saying it, but it's true. This is Andy Dalton 2.0. Every loss is his fault, every win is in spite of him. It's stupid.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 12:50 PM)jason Wrote: I think everyone knows the offense is built around Joe and his preferences. I think the problem a lot of people have is that Jake said he wanted to run the offense. Zac said we're gonna run the offense. Jake ain't Joe. It's the staff's job to acknowledge that and adjust. How do they do that? I dunno... It's not my job to know.

Eh, dude was confident he could do it. What do you tell him? Laugh in his face and say the ***k you can? Now you've seen him with no leash. Adjust accordingly.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 02:19 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Great read. I’ve been critical of the bengals offense and the main reason is the browns and ravens have figured us out.

The bengals need more balance and deception. The article mentions running more draws and that is a great point and something we were great at last year with Perine.

That said, they need to develop their under center game more. I liked what they did against the 9ers and bills. They need to build on that because in the past when they went under center it was obvious it was a run and the defense knew what to expect.

My major beef with the offense is that defenses know what to expect far too often. We are predictable and that’s why the browns are able to tee off on us defensively.

They need to develop more balance, with more deceptive concepts and routes. Use motion, plays that look similar but attack different areas of the defense. As much as burrow doesn’t like going under center and the offense is pass heavy by design, they need more balance. The colts always passed the ball a lot with Peyton and it wasn’t until they really developed the run game and defense that they won a Super Bowl. Great defenses can shut down elite passing attacks and you simply have to find other ways to win. If your winning formula is always the same, teams know what to expect. If you have a diverse scheme and you can win running or passing, that’s when you are tough to beat. We need to be able to lean on the running game and win by running the ball one week, and passing the next. We need to be able to adjust our scheme to the team we are playing and attack their weaknesses better.

To me the players make this scheme better and not the other way around. All I want and I think any bengals fans wants is for the scheme to make the players better. If that were the case we would be champs. You look at the patriots or chiefs recently, that scheme makes the players better. They’ve gotten it done with no name receivers. It’s my belief that the running game, oline, and defense are more important than who you have to throw the ball to and Tom Brady is the perfect example of that.

For a few years now the bengals have had arguably the best wide receiver group in the nfl. Yet, they have not maximized their production. Burrow hasn’t won an mvp with all that talent. To me that screams that scheme is the issue. They need to continually tweak it and improve it and find ways to be more balanced and less predictable. When they do that the sky is the limit, not less than 24 points per game in the playoffs.

They do. If they run cover 2, that loosens up the box and sets up the run. That's exactly what was happening in Baltimore until losing Burrow changed everything. If they stack the box and blitz, they carve them up with the pass.  It's like no one can figure out why we start slow when Burrow is rusty every year. If you want more under center plays, trade Burrow. That's your option, according to the article and countless others that have pointed this out to you. They are absolutely scheming according to his strengths and what he likes. People say that's what they want.....they do it, and folks say they aren't, lmao. This article lays it out pretty clear....we are not going under center much with Joe Burrow at QB. Will people rip him a new one like they do the coaches for not doing it? I think we know the answer. 

I agree, and so does the article, we need some tweaks here and there. We also need better execution. We don't need to feed Mixon just because if it isn't working. This team would still be in contention if management had invested in an experienced ex starter as backup QB. They didn't, and maybe they shouldn't have due to contracts. This is what you're going to get....unless you spend the next 3-4 weeks installing a new system to cater to Jake Browning. By then it's too late anyway, so why bother? See if Browning can learn the system built for our 275 million dollar man well enough to maintain in the future. 

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 06:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: They do. If they run cover 2, that loosens up the box and sets up the run. That's exactly what was happening in Baltimore until losing Burrow changed everything. If they stack the box and blitz, they carve them up with the pass.  It's like no one can figure out why we start slow when Burrow is rusty every year. If you want more under center plays, trade Burrow. That's your option, according to the article and countless others that have pointed this out to you. They are absolutely scheming according to his strengths and what he likes. People say that's what they want.....they do it, and folks say they aren't, lmao. This article lays it out pretty clear....we are not going under center much with Joe Burrow at QB. Will people rip him a new one like they do the coaches for not doing it? I think we know the answer. 

I agree, and so does the article, we need some tweaks here and there. We also need better execution. We don't need to feed Mixon just because if it isn't working. This team would still be in contention if management had invested in an experienced ex starter as backup QB. They didn't, and maybe they shouldn't have due to contracts. This is what you're going to get....unless you spend the next 3-4 weeks installing a new system to cater to Jake Browning. By then it's too late anyway, so why bother? See if Browning can learn the system built for our 275 million dollar man well enough to maintain in the future. 

Also agree with article that Burrow rpo is half hearted since he rarely runs the ball , maybe just call a run and force hand off and play action, same call draws instead more
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 06:51 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: They do. If they run cover 2, that loosens up the box and sets up the run. That's exactly what was happening in Baltimore until losing Burrow changed everything. If they stack the box and blitz, they carve them up with the pass.  It's like no one can figure out why we start slow when Burrow is rusty every year. If you want more under center plays, trade Burrow. That's your option, according to the article and countless others that have pointed this out to you. They are absolutely scheming according to his strengths and what he likes. People say that's what they want.....they do it, and folks say they aren't, lmao. This article lays it out pretty clear....we are not going under center much with Joe Burrow at QB. Will people rip him a new one like they do the coaches for not doing it? I think we know the answer. 

I'll give you the 9ers game and bills game where they were well prepared this year. Outside of that they haven’t been good enough. They were under center a lot in those games and played a more balanced game.

Burrow can play under center. The offense is capable of playing balanced and changing up strategies based on opponents. I haven’t brought anything up that is outside the realm of possibility. All I’m saying is passing every play is risky and predictable.

The bottom line is they need to be more consistent week to week, more balanced, more deceptive, and more dominant. They need to be winners.

You can blame injuries but one can also blame poor management of players that increases the odds of injury in 2/4 years we saw burrow get hurt in a predictable manner. You have to make your own luck.
Reply/Quote
There was all this talk when Zac came in as coach of being ‘multiple’ and deceptive. On offense we are predictable. That needs to change.
Reply/Quote
Maybe just not being quite so predictable on Offense might help? Joe Mixon running or receiving the ball on first and ten whenever the get inside the red zone 95% of the time.
I liked it when Burrow went under center a lot in that Forty Niners game.It was fun to watch,and very effective.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2023, 09:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Also agree with article that Burrow rpo is half hearted since he rarely runs the ball , maybe just call a run and force hand off and play action, same call draws instead more

Agreed.

Reply/Quote