Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Article
(02-19-2019, 01:51 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I think a lot of this is on the FO.  If you're taking over a bottom basement defense, you're going to want a say in the draft and the ability to spend in FA.  History would tell you that's a long shot.  

Even if it's a decent promotion and career move, who's going to leave their cushy SEC job with a $65M football facility for an organization that gives their new HC this office chair?  

[Image: Dv1ITWY.jpg?1] 

Lot of people laughed at that statement previously, but if a company has a reputation for being cheap, crap like this goes a long way to reinforce that perception.  You're not going to convince top tier talent to make a lateral move by presenting yourself like a 2nd tier organization.  You can overpay to bring someone into a shitty situation with menial resources and a backwater corporate culture of nepotism over success, but that would require you to SPEND AND NOT BE CHEAP *****.  

The cheap aspect and the lack of team pride are intertwined, imo. Hard for a coach to feel proud of an organization that won't spend on furniture, let alone an expanded scouting department or facilities. As for the team pride, I recently watched something called a day in the life of Sean McVay. A part that stood out to me was where he was walking down the halls of the Rams facilities, and he pointed to the walls that were painted with murals of past Rams legends.

He said that when he arrived, the walls were plain. He wanted to instill a sense of pride in being a Ram, so he asked Rams ownership to put in the murals.

Can you imagine Taylor approaching Mike with a similar idea? The guy who said "we don't deal in nostalgia"? The guy who refuses to even have a team Hall of Fame? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 05:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can you imagine Taylor approaching Mike with a similar idea? The guy who said "we don't deal in nostalgia"? The guy who refuses to even have a team Hall of Fame? 

I can absolutely see him asking for cultural upgrades to be made, but it doesn't take too many collar shocks to a schutzhund trained GSD to alter his mindset and turn him into a lap dog.  

Look at the nub of a former self mikey turned giggles into in short order.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote