Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Pre-Combine / Pre-FA Mock Draft
At least one web site knows what they're talking about.  Don't know Brown, but at least it was OL and wasnt a fugging QB.

Quote:12. Cincinnati: Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma
All eyes were on Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton last year, but Cincinnati’s biggest problem was the decline of its offensive line. This NFL legacy helps them fix it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/21/mock-draft-sam-darnold-browns-josh-allen-giants
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brown is an interesting prospect, but he's so damn big I find it hard to believe he'd stick at LT.

Which makes him a RT or maybe a RG.

Do we want that from our #12 pick?

I'm not so sure.

What are people's thoughts on Brown? Is calling him a RT prospect "size-ist?" Or is it a legitimate concern?
Reply/Quote
I think he’d be a great pick at 12 and as a RT. Id prefer to just keep him at one OT spot, but if the team doesn’t do something else for LT, I’d give home a shot at LT. Nobody thought Cam Robinson could play LT and he was able to out of the gate.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:30 PM)Stewy Wrote: At least one web site knows what they're talking about.  Don't know Brown, but at least it was OL and wasnt a fugging QB.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/21/mock-draft-sam-darnold-browns-josh-allen-giants

Most mock sites have the Bengals going OL from what I've seen. They recognize the glaring need.
Question is...do the Bengals?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:16 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think he’d be a great pick at 12 and as a RT. Id prefer to just keep him at one OT spot, but if the team doesn’t do something else for LT, I’d give home a shot at LT. Nobody thought Cam Robinson could play LT and he was able to out of the gate.

At least according to PFF, he was worse at LT last year than Ogbuehi was.
41.0 score for Ogbuehi vs 37.6 for Robinson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'm no expert, but based on what I've read I fear that both Brown and McGlinchy are better suited to play the traditional RT position due to issues with footwork. That said, I still like both better than Williams due to his injury history.

Although I've also read that there's really not that much difference between the RT and LT positions now, as many teams bring speed rushers from both sides.
Reply/Quote
Hell naw.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: At least according to PFF, he was worse at LT last year than Ogbuehi was.
41.0 score for Ogbuehi vs 37.6 for Robinson.

I’d like to see how many sacks and penalties he had, but that score might show that Cam and Brown belong on the right side.

I’ve seen Orlando Brown compared to Trent Brown, the RT of the 49ers. I’d take that kind of play out of our RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 03:41 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d like to see how many sacks and penalties he had, but that score might show that Cam and Brown belong on the right side.

I’ve seen Orlando Brown compared to Trent Brown, the RT of the 49ers. I’d take that kind of play out of our RT.

Yea I'm not sure about all that, as that's only available for PFF premium. But I have thought about paying for one year just to see how it is (even though I know Truck will tell me it's not worth it).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
slow feet an upgrade from cedric, but not by much. if he trims down some before the combine and shows better movement than normal maybe.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Great, a huge oaf that can't move well and get's his ass kicked in the run blocking game..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, a huge oaf that can't move well and get's his ass kicked in the run blocking game..

Kind of what I was seeing.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Kind of what I was seeing.

Personally, I think the guy is closer to Dennis Roland, than Andrew Whitworth, as far as NFL ability goes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One of the big sites, nfl.com I think, had brown as a top 10 bust candidate. Fwiw
Reply/Quote
Too heavy footed for my liking and isn't as good in the run game as he should be with his size.

McGlinchey is the OT i want if we go that way at 12. Would take Isiaah Wynn, Billy Price, James Daniels or Frank Ragnow over Orlando Brown.
Reply/Quote
Why do people, every year I bring this up, act like any of these prospects don’t need improvement and coaching?
Every prospect has warts. Every prospect needs to get better. Every prospect is a gamble.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great, a huge oaf that can't move well and get's his ass kicked in the run blocking game..

Not sure how true that is.
It's worth noting that in 2015 and 2016, Brown was the LT for the line that had both Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine rush for 2000+ combined yards each year.
Yes, Brown doesn't have ideal feet for LT in the NFL, but he does have incredible length and size that has allowed him to be very successful both in the pass and run game to seal away defenders and open up holes. He also does have an aggressive demeanor when blocking in the run game. He's not a very passive guy like Ogbuehi.

For me, Brown has about the same limitations as Andre Smith had/has.
Experienced LT in college that might be a better fit at RT in the NFL due to his more sluggish feet but has ideal size and length to still block well.
If in a scheme that favors rushing over passing, Brown might be able to be a quality LT in the NFL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
one scouting report on Brown

Orlando Brown | 6'7 | 350 | OT | Oklahoma - Brown is a massive mauler who lacks great lateral movement and fluidity, but rarely gets beat. He uses his size well when pulling to shield off LBs. Because he is so large, he will get lazy at times and show signs of struggle with his conditioning. Provided that he doesn't get winded and has his head straight, he's a monster. His game tape against Ohio State shows as much.

I'm on the fence with this guy, but I will say he is a change from drafting the athletic type OT..ie Og. We need to run block too. Stats show we rushed for 72 1st downs all season ly which was among the lowest in the league.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: one scouting report on Brown

Orlando Brown | 6'7 | 350 | OT | Oklahoma - Brown is a massive mauler who lacks great lateral movement and fluidity, but rarely gets beat. He uses his size well when pulling to shield off LBs. Because he is so large, he will get lazy at times and show signs of struggle with his conditioning. Provided that he doesn't get winded and has his head straight, he's a monster. His game tape against Ohio State shows as much.

I'm on the fence with this guy, but I will say he is a change from drafting the athletic type OT..ie Og.  We need to run block too.  Stats show we rushed for 72 1st downs all season ly which was among the lowest in the league.

Brown is big.   Lazor wants big.   I think he ends up a Bengal - he or McGinchley.   I think Brown's a right tackle starting out.  I have no idea what his football mind is like.  That's a critical piece.

And if he clears the physical and is smart I like Connor Williams.  But at this point no one really is comfortable anticipating him being reliable enough to go at 12.   But the little I've read about from 2016 he is very enticing.

Going to be fun to watch this draft.  Hope we get really lucky!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 08:42 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Brown is an interesting prospect, but he's so damn big I find it hard to believe he'd stick at LT.

Which makes him a RT or maybe a RG.

Do we want that from our #12 pick?

I'm not so sure.

What are people's thoughts on Brown? Is calling him a RT prospect "size-ist?" Or is it a legitimate concern?

I want a LT at 12.....
imo, fast DE's will just run around Brown.....too big/slow....
if we go OT at 12 I want McGlinchey
Reply/Quote