Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com - FA OL Scheme Fits
Mike Santagata from SI.com just released an article on a wide array of FA OL and listed their pros, cons, and rated their scheme fit 1-10.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/film-breakdown-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line-fit-free-agency

Some noteworthy players that have been mentioned a lot on these boards:
  • Ryan Jensen - 7/10 scheme fit
  • Laken Tomlinson - 8
  • Austin Corbett - 7.5
  • Andrew Norwell - 5 (would rate higher if there is a priority on pass blocking)
  • Trent Brown - 5
  • Morgan Moses - 8
  • Connor Williams - 8
  • Spain - 5
  • Bradley Bozeman - 3
  • James Daniels - 7.5
  • Brian Allen - 7.5

There were two perfect fits in Terron Armstead and Brandon Scherff, but both will be "very" expensive, so neither is likely.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would say Ryan Jensen is more of a 5.5 or 6.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I would think it would be very difficult to rate a "scheme fit" since many of these guys have only played in one scheme. Just because a player has played well in one scheme does not necessarily mean he can't play well in a different scheme, but sometimes it does.

In fact, that is one of the toughest jobs in scouting, and a big reason a lot of free agents don't live up to their contracts. But it can also be a great way to find a "bargain". Most scouts can watch film and see how a player produces. It takes a lot more skill to watch film and project how a player will produce in a different scheme.

You see it the most in O-linemen and defensive backs. Those are the positions wear production is most closely tied to the specific scheme.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would think it would be very difficult to rate a "scheme fit" since many of these guys have only played in one scheme.  Just because a player has played well in one scheme does not necessarily mean he can't play well in a different scheme, but sometimes it does.

In fact, that is one of the toughest jobs in scouting, and a big reason a lot of free agents don't live up to their contracts.  But it can also be a great way to find a "bargain".  Most scouts can watch film and see how a player produces.  It takes a lot more skill to watch film and project how a player will produce in a different scheme.

You see it the most in O-linemen and defensive backs.  Those are the positions wear production is most closely tied to the specific scheme.

Absolutely correct. That's why it's usually safer to look at players in very similar scheme to yours that have succeeded there.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:02 PM)Synric Wrote: I would say Ryan Jensen is more of a 5.5 or 6.

Sans used to think this as well I do believe, until he viewed the 22tape.  Jensen is a Dude.

He is definitely not a fan of Daniels and really doesnt like Allen (I agree here).

I like Bozeman, he is not a great athlete for the wide zone but a very solid pass blocker.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sans used to think this as well I do believe, until he viewed the 22tape.  Jensen is a Dude.

He is definitely not a fan of Daniels and really doesnt like Allen (I agree here).

I like Bozeman, he is not a great athlete for the wide zone but a very solid pass blocker.

Mike Sans used the term many have honed on from Pollack - "Glass eater."

So while Jensen might not be quite as athletic as some other options, he's still 1) not unathletic, and 2) has that finisher mentality that Pollack said he wants.

I don't agree though that he doesn't like Daniels or Allen. He wouldn't have rated them a 7.5 each if that was the case.

I would say the glaring player that a lot have clamored for but Sans really slams is Bozeman. 3/10 is about the worst scheme fit out of everyone on the list.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mike Sans used the term many have honed on from Pollack - "Glass eater."

So while Jensen might not be quite as athletic as some other options, he's still 1) not unathletic, and 2) has that finisher mentality that Pollack said he wants.

Absolutely and he is the one guy that can change the entire culture of the oline.

Reply/Quote
Would anyone trade a first or second rounder for La’el Collins, Tunsil or Bechton?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:26 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Would anyone trade a first or second rounder for La’el Collins, Tunsil or Bechton?

I would for Collins or Becton.
Becton is still on his rookie deal, so he's cheap.
Collins after trade would only be ~$10 mill a year.
Tunsil is just too damn expensive. HOU would have to agree to eat a huge chunk of that to get him more cost effective for the Bengals.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sans used to think this as well I do believe, until he viewed the 22tape.  Jensen is a Dude.

Sans says Jensen can run which he is an excellent pulling center but that's not the same as climbing laterally to the second level angles. Scheme wise its alot different than what Jensen is used too. Can he do it? Maybe.... Does he do it now? No.

Even mentions in the article they would need to change some things in their run game to take advantage of what Jensen does best. I think Sans is a little clouded by how much fun it is to watch Jensen he is a top center.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:26 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Would anyone trade a first or second rounder for La’el Collins, Tunsil or Bechton?

Tunsil definitely. Age and production are very good. If the Texans pay part of his salary as rumored then I think it’s a no brainer.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:26 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Would anyone trade a first or second rounder for La’el Collins, Tunsil or Bechton?

Collins is the no brainer for me.
Tunsil next, but he is way more expensive as mentioned.
Bechton has had injury, weight and other issues, his own coach said he had to earn his spot back.  So not sure of him yet.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Collins is the no brainer for me.
Tunsil next, but he is way more expensive as mentioned.
Bechton has had injury, weight and other issues, his own coach said he had to earn his spot back.  So not sure of him yet.

I agree, Collins would be my #1 choice if his contract is cheaper than Tunsil.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would think it would be very difficult to rate a "scheme fit" since many of these guys have only played in one scheme.  Just because a player has played well in one scheme does not necessarily mean he can't play well in a different scheme, but sometimes it does.

In fact, that is one of the toughest jobs in scouting, and a big reason a lot of free agents don't live up to their contracts.  But it can also be a great way to find a "bargain".  Most scouts can watch film and see how a player produces.  It takes a lot more skill to watch film and project how a player will produce in a different scheme.

You see it the most in O-linemen and defensive backs.  Those are the positions wear production is most closely tied to the specific scheme.

We've done a great job finding CB's that fit our scheme over the last year or so.

In years past, it felt like we drafted guys who played good in man in college, then came in and struggled in our zone scheme.

Hopefully they can figure that out for the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
Collins is signed for the next 3 years at $10 million a year. He graded out 82 on PFF last year. (Also from LSU).

That's a reasonable salary and worth trading assets to get I'd say.
Reply/Quote
Dallas needs a safety. Bates for Collins straight up. Fills a need and saves money for the Bengals. Fills a need for the Cowboys who are more willing to manipulate cap numbers for splash signings.
Reply/Quote

yes
Reply/Quote
So many options we could go. Wild how there was an article saying we are interested in Bozeman as he doesn't seem to
fit our scheme at all. Daniels I think fits what we need more than anyone though as he can play all the interior positions
and is athletic and can get to the 2nd level very well. I think Carman is going to start at LG this year so Daniels fits more
than Laken who has been playing LG.

We could keep Hop but I agree with others that Jensen can play Center and gives us that edge Pollack says he wants in a
glass eater type. Morgan Moses fits and should be a cheaper option than most OT's as he didn't start last year early but
filled in admirably and he would be a nice vet to pickup

Predicting Jensen, Daniels and Moses in Free Agency. Sure hope it goes this way too.

We could also trade for Collins and keep Hop. Hop, Daniels and Collins if this is the case and I would also be fine with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 03:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So many options we could go. Wild how there was an article saying we are interested in Bozeman as he doesn't seem to
fit our scheme at all. Daniels I think fits what we need more than anyone though as he can play all the interior positions
and is athletic and can get to the 2nd level very well. I think Carman is going to start at LG this year so Daniels fits more
than Laken who has been playing LG.

We could keep Hop but I agree with others that Jensen can play Center and gives us that edge Pollack says he wants in a
glass eater type. Morgan Moses fits and should be a cheaper option than most OT's as he didn't start last year early but
filled in admirably and he would be a nice vet to pickup

Predicting Jensen, Daniels and Moses in Free Agency. Sure hope it goes this way too.

We could also trade for Collins and keep Hop. Hop, Daniels and Collins if this is the case and I would also be fine with it.

That would be best case.

I don't know. I'd be happy with 2 of those guys. All 3 would be amazing.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 01:26 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Would anyone trade a first or second rounder for La’el Collins, Tunsil or Bechton?

Tunsil definitely. Age and production are very good. If the Texans pay part of his salary as rumored then I think it’s a no brainer.
Reply/Quote