Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
SI predicts Bengals win SB
1. The Bengals will defeat the 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII

I realize, as one of the supreme mushes of our time, that I have an ability to make it a near certainty these teams will not reach the Super Bowl. So it was my initial plan just to put two teams I absolutely wouldn’t want to see there (say, oh, I don’t know, two random teams like the Browns and the Commanders) as my Super Bowl contenders. Alas, that wouldn’t make for a very good prediction post, and, at some point, every blind squirrel finds an acorn. The Bengals and the 49ers have, by my estimation, the two rosters that best embody the hallmark of a Super Bowl team: talent and depth at almost every position. The 49ers have enough options at the quarterback position to make sure they aren’t stuck in the title game with Christian McCaffrey in the Wildcat. Deebo Samuel believed this team was better than the Eagles last year, and, even after Philadelphia’s superb draft, I agree that the 49ers have just as strong of a roster.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 05:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 1. The Bengals will defeat the 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII

I realize, as one of the supreme mushes of our time, that I have an ability to make it a near certainty these teams will not reach the Super Bowl. So it was my initial plan just to put two teams I absolutely wouldn’t want to see there (say, oh, I don’t know, two random teams like the Browns and the Commanders) as my Super Bowl contenders. Alas, that wouldn’t make for a very good prediction post, and, at some point, every blind squirrel finds an acorn. The Bengals and the 49ers have, by my estimation, the two rosters that best embody the hallmark of a Super Bowl team: talent and depth at almost every position. The 49ers have enough options at the quarterback position to make sure they aren’t stuck in the title game with Christian McCaffrey in the Wildcat. Deebo Samuel believed this team was better than the Eagles last year, and, even after Philadelphia’s superb draft, I agree that the 49ers have just as strong of a roster.

Brandon Aiyuk has turned into a good WR2 type.
With Kittle, Samuel, and McCaffrey, about any QB can be successful in that offense.
Combine that with an elite defense and it's going to be a real tough team to beat.

We'll see how their OL holds up with McGlinchey gone, but I think they'll be fine.
Looks like one of my Day 3 sleepers from 2022 draft Spencer Burford emerged as their new starting RG last year.
He wasn't great as a run blocker but did fine as a pass blocker.
Trent Williams is about the only OL name people will recognize, but Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, and Burford have made a decent IOL for that team, and most people probably don't know any of them lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
From the same article, some other predictions

93. Joe Burrow will do something cool with his contract so the Bengals can re-sign all of his wide receiver friends

Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins are not long for Cincinnati, unless the Tiger King includes some wild provision that slides some of his contractual windfall toward his teammates so the Bengals can continue their stranglehold on the AFC North. I’m not saying it’s right, but I’m saying it might be a subtly Joe Cool thing for Burrow to do.

98. Ja’Marr Chase will win Offensive Player of the Year

If you think about it, this award has such a narrow scope. At the beginning of any season, someone could reasonably assume that anyone on offense could win this award. But really, it’s a select list of offensive players whose functioning is essential to the system, who can put up a large enough statistical sample size to impress voters. That leaves Chase, Justin Jefferson (who we may assume will see a slight decline in production given the addition of another first-round pick at the position, and defenses generally being sick of getting demolished by him), Cooper Kupp, Christian McCaffrey, Derrick Henry and a small handful of others. Given that we are projecting Burrow’s production to continue skyward, so, too, will Chase’s.

100. Joe Burrow will win his first MVP award

En route to a second Super Bowl appearance in three years, Burrow’s greatness will finally be recognized by the voters. He will throw for 40 touchdowns and lead the Bengals to a 13-win season. Buoyed by his contract extension, which will come in at a $55 million average per year, Burrow will start working his way into statue territory in Cincinnati.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 05:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 1. The Bengals will defeat the 49ers in Super Bowl LVIII

I seem to remember the Bills and Packers being in a lot of Pre-season Super Bowl predictions before last season.

Sports Illustrated may be lucky to guess one out of two of the participants in the next Super Bowl.

If they get one out of two right let it be the Bengals in and the 49ers out of the Big Game.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Brandon Aiyuk has turned into a good WR2 type.
With Kittle, Samuel, and McCaffrey, about any QB can be successful in that offense.
Combine that with an elite defense and it's going to be a real tough team to beat.

We'll see how their OL holds up with McGlinchey gone, but I think they'll be fine.
Looks like one of my Day 3 sleepers from 2022 draft Spencer Burford emerged as their new starting RG last year.
He wasn't great as a run blocker but did fine as a pass blocker.
Trent Williams is about the only OL name people will recognize, but Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, and Burford have made a decent IOL for that team, and most people probably don't know any of them lol.

I saw Brock Purdy in person several times in Norman. I saw him a lot on TV he definitely has some moxie and QB savvy. But he’s plenty hot and cold. When he stinks it up it’s a doozy. I don’t think they are good enough at QB. And if he gets hurt worse.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
This is great but it’s only one. They are going to have to win a lot more pre-season Super Bowls if they wanna catch up with the Browns.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I find the 9ers to be overrated. Not because of their QB questions, although those are valid. More the obvious issue: injuries. Deebo's always hobbled. Trent misses 3 or 4 games per year, and he's already getting up there. Mac's problems are well documented. Kittle has his own share, but he almost looks like Cap Ripken in comparison. I think they'll have trouble. They seem like a house of cards to me.

But yes, I agree we'll win the Lombardi. I think SI were actually quoting me when they made the pick. Wink
Reply/Quote
My crazy SB prediction is 2 teams nobody would have ever mentioned playing each other in a SB. Cincy Vs Det. I really like what they have going on in Det. Still pissed they took what I truly thought would be our first two picks in Gibbs and LaPorta, but they were a fun team to watch the second half of last season. Putting them in the SB may seem a bit premature but who would have thought we would make it. I think Cincy/Det would be a great game.
Reply/Quote
Man ....the way this team has exorcised most of the franchise's demons, if we get SF in the SB it's destiny. We will win.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
For what its worth as far as strength of schedule according to pff.com

1) Cincinnati
32) SF

So we have the toughest road and SF the easiest road to the playoffs. Hopefully, we're going to be battle-tested and healthy heading into playoffs. I'm a firm believer in iron sharpens iron and the team with the toughest schedule will prevail.

Really, with our schedule, we just need to focus on winning the ACF North and the rest will fall into place.
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man ....the way this team has exorcised most of the franchise's demons, if we get SF in the SB it's destiny. We will win.

I've thought this several times, man it wasn't that long ago when we were in here bitching everyday about this, that, and the other. Now we're 180 degrees in the other direction. Total turnaround.

I know myself it's been a giant adjustment. I mean before, I was always waiting for the implosion that very nearly always came. We went through some very rough seasons, years,  decades.

And now, unlike before, I believe we have a very good chance of winning it all. And the 49ers wouldn't be a big shock as the opponent. We might as well kick that demon to the curb too. 

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 08:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've thought this several times, man it wasn't that long ago when we were in here bitching everyday about this, that, and the other. Now we're 180 degrees in the other direction. Total turnaround.

I know myself it's been a giant adjustment. I mean before, I was always waiting for the implosion that very nearly always came. We went through some very rough seasons, years,  decades.

And now, unlike before, I believe we have a very good chance of winning it all. And the 49ers wouldn't be a big shock as the opponent. We might as well kick that demon to the curb too. 

Who Dey

Spot on man. It would be such sweet poetic justice to win it all against them after crushing my dreams as a 12 year old, lol. I don't even remember the 81 SB. That was a soul crusher too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I really HATE to be that guy, but I think its going to be INCREDIBLY difficult for us to win the Super Bowl this year for more reasons than one.

Our division is going to be an absolute GAUNTLET. Like better than its maybe ever been. The Browns, Ravens, and even the Steelers are going to be dog fights each week. The physicality of those games prepares you but it also hurts you - as evident by us missing 2 of our better OL in the playoffs last year and the Ravens beating us up in the last game of the season and playoff game.

Chiefs have the advantage division wise for the one seed which is so damn important.

I'm not saying it's impossible, obviously, but if I am completely unbiased it'd be hard for me to truly pick us to win the Super Bowl. It's going to be damn tough.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Man ....the way this team has exorcised most of the franchise's demons, if we get SF in the SB it's destiny. We will win.

This has been my fantasy since Burrow first came
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 11:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: Spot on man. It would be such sweet poetic justice to win it all against them after crushing my dreams as a 12 year old, lol. I don't even remember the 81 SB. That was a soul crusher too.

Two really good super bowls.  Two really good teams.   Lap believes the 81 team was superior to San Francisco.   Walsh believed SF was better in 88.

Both really good teams.   Two of my favorite QBs in 88.   Burrow reminds me more of Montana than Brady.   Just so cool.   Montana was maddening with his ability to come back under pressure and pull it off.

My prayer is that our Joe Cool gets it done this year - and I'd love nothing better than to do it against the 49ers.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I really HATE to be that guy, but I think its going to be INCREDIBLY difficult for us to win the Super Bowl this year for more reasons than one.

Our division is going to be an absolute GAUNTLET. Like better than its maybe ever been. The Browns, Ravens, and even the Steelers are going to be dog fights each week. The physicality of those games prepares you but it also hurts you - as evident by us missing 2 of our better OL in the playoffs last year and the Ravens beating us up in the last game of the season and playoff game.

Chiefs have the advantage division wise for the one seed which is so damn important.

I'm not saying it's impossible, obviously, but if I am completely unbiased it'd be hard for me to truly pick us to win the Super Bowl. It's going to be damn tough.

Eh, let the Chiefs have the cake Division is my thought. If we still win our Division and beat the Chiefs we have a shot at the #1 seed.

All we have to do is get into the Playoffs and anything can happen as we have seen the last couple of years. We are actually much deeper
than last year on the OL now with the Orlando Brown addition, Carman finally showing something in the Playoffs and Jonah still on the team.

Also really like Kirkland the UDFA Guard to help with depth on the IOL. 

The DE position is much deeper with the MM pick and Basham.

The Secondary is much faster with Dax Hill, Nick Scott and DJ Turner added.

I think this is the year we are most likely to win it all with our vets in their last years in DJ Reader, Boyd, Hendrickson etc.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 01:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Two really good super bowls.  Two really good teams.   Lap believes the 81 team was superior to San Francisco.   Walsh believed SF was better in 88.

Both really good teams.   Two of my favorite QBs in 88.   Burrow reminds me more of Montana than Brady.   Just so cool.   Montana was maddening with his ability to come back under pressure and pull it off.

My prayer is that our Joe Cool gets it done this year - and I'd love nothing better than to do it against the 49ers.

Every other team that lost to the 49ers in the SB those years got trounced too. We actually played them really tough unlike everyone else.

Would love to get the big damn monkey off our back and beat the 49ers in the SB...

But I actually like TKUHL's thought on the Lions. It sounds out there, but that team is on the up and up. Good coach who has his guys 
playing every team tough, they are young and been through a ton as a franchise.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, let the Chiefs have the cake Division is my thought. If we still win our Division and beat the Chiefs we have a shot at the #1 seed.

All we have to do is get into the Playoffs and anything can happen as we have seen the last couple of years. We are actually much deeper
than last year on the OL now with the Orlando Brown addition, Carman finally showing something in the Playoffs and Jonah still on the team.

Also really like Kirkland the UDFA Guard to help with depth on the IOL. 

The DE position is much deeper with the MM pick and Basham.

The Secondary is much faster with Dax Hill, Nick Scott and DJ Turner added.

I think this is the year we are most likely to win it all with our vets in their last years in DJ Reader, Boyd, Hendrickson etc.

You are much more optomistic than me lol 

Anyone who lists our secondary as an asset I would say is on meth haha. I actually think its a huge liability going into the season. Weakness, maybe not...but def a liability. I think our safties covered up a lot of mistakes by our DBs last year. 

I mean we def have more than a shot to win the Super Bowl, but I would start with our division first. I think pretty much every team is improved. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I really HATE to be that guy, but I think its going to be INCREDIBLY difficult for us to win the Super Bowl this year for more reasons than one.

Let me just start off by saying I agree we're in one of the tougher divisions in football, however.

1. The Steelers are going to win some games, umm they're the Steelers. Good defense blah, blah. Butt they're not that good.

2. Who knows what Watson is going to do this season???? Again good defense and they're going to win some games. I'm just a good bit skeptical they're going to be all that.

3. The Ravens IMHO are the real competition. And to be quite blunt about it in the End Burrow is a much better QB than Jackson. So I'm confident we can beat them if need be?
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 02:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You are much more optomistic than me lol 

Anyone who lists our secondary as an asset I would say is on meth haha. I actually think its a huge liability going into the season. Weakness, maybe not...but def a liability. I think our safties covered up a lot of mistakes by our DBs last year. 

I mean we def have more than a shot to win the Super Bowl, but I would start with our division first. I think pretty much every team is improved. 

I usually am lol

Lou is great with the Secondary and it isn't like Bates and Bell were great last season. They were damn good in the Playoffs on our trip 
to the SB but last season Bates was playing not to get hurt and had problems tackling once again and Vonn Bell has never been known 
for his speed, but his instincts and his hitting. Dax Hill could certainly be better than Bates once the NFL game slows down for him, he is
faster, he was a much better tackler in college than Bates etc.

There is a reason Lou brought in Brick Scott, he has valuable experience and is a damn good tackler and is faster than Bell. A lot of his 
bad grades in coverage came from Ramsey free wheeling it from man to zone with the Rams and leaving others out to dry. Jordan Battle
has been showered upon with praise from Lou and is a good tackler. I think between Scott and Battle the SS spot should be fine.

There will be some struggles early I am sure with Dax getting his first starts but things will iron out and we could be better than last 
year easily with Awuzie back, CTB in his second year, Hilton back playing like a top Slot and the additions of DJ Turner and Ivie for depth.

Agree every team in the Division has improved, but we just won 4 in a row in this Division, we own it right now and for the foreseeable 
future IMO.
Reply/Quote