Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIGN AJ GREEN!!!!!!!!
Finding a top wideout isn't as hard as it used to be. The Front Office is no doubt using that against him during negotiations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 02:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Finding a top wideout isn't as hard as it used to be. The Front Office is no doubt using that against him during negotiations.

IMO, if they're using anything against him, then shame on them.  The guy, the player, what more does anyone want?

Guys like him do not grow on trees and I'm sure they know that.

They paid all the other guys, they will pay him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 02:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Finding a top wideout isn't as hard as it used to be. The Front Office is no doubt using that against him during negotiations.

While I'm in agreement that finding good WRs seems to be easier than ever nowadays, I don't think you can just pick a guy like A.J. Green out of the draft whenever you feel like it. Maybe receivers are "getting better" because we're in a passer friendly league? Maybe seeing a great draft class or two recently made our memories a bit fuzzy on the topic? I don't know, but I do know that A.J. Green type players aren't so simple to find, but finding a decent receiver isn't very difficult.

A.J. is a lot better than you give him credit for.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 04:18 PM)djs7685 Wrote: While I'm in agreement that finding good WRs seems to be easier than ever nowadays, I don't think you can just pick a guy like A.J. Green out of the draft whenever you feel like it. Maybe receivers are "getting better" because we're in a passer friendly league? Maybe seeing a great draft class or two recently made our memories a bit fuzzy on the topic? I don't know, but I do know that A.J. Green type players aren't so simple to find, but finding a decent receiver isn't very difficult.

A.J. is a lot better than you give him credit for.

I will give you credit on this one because he is a must sign imo. Wts, there are always two sides to a coin, nobody thought that TY Hilton would be a #1 type of WR but he now is. Then again he has a much more prototypical NFL QB throwing the ball to him.
Amari Cooper has a very comparable skill set to AJ but there are no AJ or Amari types coming out anytime soon, thus making AJ a must sign for success of the foreseeable future of this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2015, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This makes me want to start some sort of question of keeping Andy and losing AJ or keeping AJ and losing Andy.  Andy to MLJ or McCarron to AJ?!

GASP!!!  Let's argue!!!!

Interesting Article.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24575823/does-a-team-really-need-an-elite-receiver-to-get-to-the-super-bowl
Reply/Quote
A.J. Green is a big part of the offense. If we don't sign him we need to sign someone who could be a #1 receiver. I don't see anyone in free agency next year. I don't know if I would be comfortable with Marvin Jones being the #1 due to injury issues either. I just hope we don't break the bank on him though. Teams that spend big money on receivers rarely do good, and when Green was out last year we went 3-1-1 (I'm still pissed about that missed 36 yard field goal). A deal like Bryants wouldn't be too bad, but I don't think we should do much than that.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Interesting Article.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24575823/does-a-team-really-need-an-elite-receiver-to-get-to-the-super-bowl

Well, looking through those teams they either have an elite QB, elite defense or both, with only a few exceptions. The exceptions would be Seattle in 2005, Chicago in 2006 and Phili in 2004. The last 9 years have either had one of the top QBs or one of the top defenses or both.

We need as much talent around Dalton as possible. When we have average talent, like when AJ and MLJ were injured last year, the results aren't very good.

Reply/Quote
Hes a great player, possibly even better human being. Those are the type of guys I want on my football team. Sign the man
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:31 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, looking through those teams they either have an elite QB, elite defense or both, with only a few exceptions. The exceptions would be Seattle in 2005, Chicago in 2006 and Phili in 2004. The last 9 years have either had one of the top QBs or one of the top defenses or both.

We need as much talent around Dalton as possible. When we have average talent, like when AJ and MLJ were injured last year, the results aren't very good.

Throw in Eifert's injury and it was below-average talent.
Reply/Quote
Let's just sign AJ, like 90 percent of the football knows we should.
Reply/Quote
Now that the deflategate is over, I expect Green to sign tomorrow or next week. They wouldn't want his signing to get lost in the news
Reply/Quote
[Image: original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 01:08 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Interesting Article.

The one thing that this article is leaving out is the fact that tight ends are essentially turning into wide receivers these days.

Throw in the following guys on those teams:  Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski and a few others and you can see that you may not need an elite WR (in some cases), but you definitely need an elite receiving threat.
Reply/Quote
im sure green can juggle negotiations and playing at the same time if it comes down to it.... Get thru the game tonight. Make your cuts saturday.

And then just to shut up everyone from talking about brady for 5 minutes. Sign green on Tuesday. (cause you know labor day)
Reply/Quote
I think the difference that people overlook when comparing AJ's situation to Geno and Andy's is the fact that AJ is a top 5 pick, so he's already making very good money. Geno and Andy got resigned early because they were outperforming there deals BY FAR.

Geno Atkins was playing like the the best D-Lineman in the NFL and was paid like 700k. Andy was a QB who had led a team to 3 straight playoff berths, and was paid 1.4 M. Those number are WAY under the level they were performing.

AJ was a top 5 pick so his contract is pretty nice. He has been making multiple millions every year, and is scheduled to make 10 mil this year. I agree of course that AJ is worth the 14+ mil that the other guys got. But the level of the discrepancy is not as vast as it was for Geno and Andy, hence it's less insulting to the player, hence less urgency.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 06:47 PM)bearstronaut Wrote: I think the difference that people overlook when comparing AJ's situation to Geno and Andy's is the fact that AJ is a top 5 pick, so he's already making very good money.  Geno and Andy got resigned early because they were outperforming there deals BY FAR.    

Geno Atkins was playing like the the best D-Lineman in the NFL and was paid like 700k.  Andy was a QB who had led a team to 3 straight playoff berths, and was paid 1.4 M.  Those number are WAY under the level they were performing.

AJ was a top 5 pick so his contract is pretty nice. He has been making multiple millions every year, and is scheduled to make 10 mil this year.   I agree of course that AJ is worth the 14+ mil that the other guys got.  But the level of the discrepancy is not as vast as it was for Geno and Andy, hence it's less insulting to the player, hence less urgency.
You mention urgency, but the biggest factor vs. those other situations is leverage.
Reply/Quote
Time is ticking on any extensions at this point.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 05:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The one thing that this article is leaving out is the fact that tight ends are essentially turning into wide receivers these days.

Throw in the following guys on those teams:  Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski and a few others and you can see that you may not need an elite WR (in some cases), but you definitely need an elite receiving threat.

This.

Tom Brady looked worse than Dalton when Gronk was out.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2015, 11:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Tom Brady looked worse than Dalton when Gronk was out.

You always say this with little or no context.

1.) Simply saying Gronk was out makes it sound like he was only short one player.  This was an offseason he lost a pair of Pro Bowl Tight Ends, he lost Wes Welker in free agency, and he had his newly acquired replacement, Danny Amendola, go down to injury.  His #1 receiver for much of that season was an undrafted rookie in Kembrell Thompkins.  He was paired with another rookie in Aaron Dobson.  His Tight End was Michael Hooomanawaiu.  This is how Julian Edelman became relevant.  They had no one else.

So please, do us all favor and describe the situation better than "when he didn't have Gronk".  You really mean "when he didn't have anyone".  Acting like he was just down one player is intentionally misleading.  He lost his top three targets from the year prior.  Even what little Dalton had to work with in the playoff game still made this group look like shit.

2.) Please define "looked worse". (Seriously, reply here)

Looked worse than when?  Because Brady's QB rating that year was better than Andy's 2011, better than Andy's most recent season in 2015, equal to Andy's 2012 (87.3 to 87.4), and only 1 point off Andy's career year in 2013 (88.8 to 87.3)

So do you mean Tom Brady in 2013 looked ever so slightly worse than Dalton's career year? 

And wouldn't an equally fair thing be to say "Even when Tom Brady had Kembrell Thompkins and Aaron Dobson as he 1/2 on the depth chart, and had Michael Hoomanawaui as his Tight End, he still was only 1 point off Andy's Career High"?

3.) Tom Brady threw for more yards that year than Dalton has ever.

4.) Tom Brady threw less picks that year than Dalton has ever.

5.)  Tom Brady won more games that season than Dalton has ever. (Remember how much you all love team success as a QB stat)

6.) Tom Brady lead his team to the AFC championship that season.

So again, define "looked worse.  He won more games, he posted more yardage, he was pretty much right at Dalton's career high in QB rating.  And he certainly did it missing more than just Gronk.

Either you're being incredibly disingenuous in your description, incredibly lazy in your research, or you're just plain mistaken.  Brady was short way more than just Gronk and I fail to see how he looked worse. I also fail to see how your comment means much if anything at all, even with little to no context provided. What are you trying to say exactly? Take away all of a star QB's weaons and he'll still equal are bum QB's career high, and he'll win 12 games in doing so?
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2015, 12:14 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Either you're being incredibly disingenuous in your description, incredibly lazy in your research, or you're just plain mistaken.  Brady was short way more than just Gronk and I fail to see how he looked worse. 

Actually you are the one who has been incredibly lazy in your research.

Gronk actually played 7 games in 2013.  In those seven games Brady had a passer rating of 90+ in 5 of them.  He averaged 315 yards per game and posted a 95.8 passer rating.

In the 9 games that Gronk missed Brady only had 2 games with a passer rating over 90.  He averaged 238 passing yards and posted an 80.3 passer rating.  

Andy has never had a rating that low even counting his rookie season, so that is why I said he looked worse than Dalton.
Reply/Quote