Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPARQ edge rushers - 2017 draft class
What is SPARQ? It's an acronym coined by NIKE in 2004 that stands for Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction, and Quickness. It was intended to combine of all of these aspects of an athlete to give some type of overall grade to his or her athleticism. It was essentially supposed to be treated like a standardized test for sports training.

NIKE's program ended back around 2009 to 2010, but 3sigmaathlete.com still uses the formula to give athleticism scores to NFL draft prospects.

For 2017, the top 10 edge players based on SPARQ are:
(note - a 0.0 z-score and 50.0 NFL% represents NFL league-average athlete at the position)

1) Tyus Bowser, OLB Houston - pSPARQ = 142.7, z-score = 1.7, NFL% = 95.8%
2) Jordan Willis, DE Kansas St - pSPARQ = 140.8, z-score = 1.6, NFL% = 94.4%
3) TJ Watt, OLB Wisconsin - pSPARQ = 140.4, z-score = 1.6, NFL% = 94.0%
4) Solomon Thomas, DL Stanford - pSPARQ = 140.3, z-score = 1.6, NFL% = 94.0%
5) Hassan Reddick, OLB Temple - pSPARQ = 139.3, z-score = 1.5, NFL% = 93.0%
6) Trey Hendrickson, DL Florida Atlantic - pSPARQ = 136.1, z-score = 1.2, NFL% = 89.2%
7) Derek Rivers, DE YSU - pSPARQ = 130.9, z-score = 0.8, NFL% = 80.1%
8) Daeshon Hall, DE Texas A&M - pSPARQ = 129.3, z-score = 0.7, NFL% = 76.7%
9) Carl Lawson, DE Auburn - pSPARQ = 124.9, z-score = 0.4, NFL% = 65.3%
10) Deatrich Wise Jr, DE Arkansas - pSPARQ = 123.8, z-score = 0.3, NFL% = 62.2%

For the rest of the list, other positions, and/or the 2015 and 2016 results, check out https://3sigmaathlete.com/

Related note - It's no secret I've wanted Jordan Willis or Solomon Thomas, and that was prior to me finding this site. This site only helps support why I think these players will be very good NFL pass rushers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Worth noting too that these calculations are gathered from workout numbers, so if a player hasn't done any of these workouts yet or only a couple, they aren't assessed in the list.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I agree with this. I use another site and it draws the same conclusions. For instance, not as well known Connor McDermott was one of the better combine performers at T.

I think this is a good reference to make value picks. Such as Deatrich Wise would be a good late round value pick.
Reply/Quote
Charles Harris is by far my biggest combine disappointment. I expected more and after seeing the SPARQ score he may just make it to us in the 2nd. Bottom 9% of NFL edges doesn't scream first round pick.

Crazy because his get off speed one of the best in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing Mike Mamula's SPARQ numbers were off the charts.
Reply/Quote
The kid from Florida Atlantic continues to check every block. He could be the sleeper of the draft.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hmmm.  Margus Hunt had a SPARQ score of 118.70   not too high.  Damn, what a stupid pick that was. I really wish someone would leak who was banging the table for him.

Trey Hendrickson, bfine, he looked very good, but he had some of the shortest arms of all DL guys. Paul G said that if they weren't 6'5-6'6" they had to have long arms. Tied for 3rd shortest.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What is SPARQ? It's an acronym coined by NIKE in 2004 that stands for Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction, and Quickness. It was intended to combine of all of these aspects of an athlete to give some type of overall grade to his or her athleticism. It was essentially supposed to be treated like a standardized test for sports training.

NIKE's program ended back around 2009 to 2010, but 3sigmaathlete.com still uses the formula to give athleticism scores to NFL draft prospects.

(note - a 0.0 z-score and 50.0 NFL% represents NFL league-average athlete at the position)

6) Trey Hendrickson, DL Florida Atlantic - pSPARQ = 136.1, z-score = 1.2, NFL% = 89.2%

For the rest of the list, other positions, and/or the 2015 and 2016 results, check out https://3sigmaathlete.com/

Related note - It's no secret I've wanted Jordan Willis or Solomon Thomas, and that was prior to me finding this site. This site only helps support why I think these players will be very good NFL pass rushers.

Good stuff....combine this with the explosiveness scale (Bench # at 225 + vertical + Long Jump) and you might have a pretty good picture on some of these guys potential .  However, extensive research has to be done in to the scheme they came from (i.e.- what were they asked to diagnose and execute in their game plan) as well as variables like how they fared against their best opponent.

All of this keeps leading me back to one guy that I originally shunned, TJ Watt.  I guess I didn't like him at first because I thought I was just falling for a name, and hoping he would develop in to the player his brother has become.  But the more I watch his film, and watch his instincts and football IQ unfold on the field, I am really thinking he would be a guy that could generate a pass rush from the LB position as well as rotate up to RDE on passing downs.  

If he is available in the 2nd...

I still keep hoping for a last minute McCarron deal to net the Browns 2nd rounder.  I don't want to miss out on the potential replacement for Bodine (Elflein) because I see such a potential impact player in Watt.  
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Charles Harris is by far my biggest combine disappointment. I expected more and after seeing the SPARQ score he may just make it to us in the 2nd. Bottom 9% of NFL edges doesn't scream first round pick.

Crazy because his get off speed one of the best in the draft.

So many of these so-called speed guys can't hold up to NFL LTs against the run....that pigeon hole's them as rush ends and knocks them out of just about any 4-3 team.  

The worst decision is overreaching for these guys thinking they can easily play LB and that is not an easy transition. 

One guy that is ranked fairly high that has decent upside and is from my hometown here in Centerville is Ifeadi Odenigbo.  He is a RDE candidate from Northwestern and could be available in the later rounds. 
Reply/Quote
Why did Nike discontinue the program?
Reply/Quote
I thought it would be worth rejuvenating this thread now that pro days are all nearly completed and the lists have been adjusted accordingly.

Top 10 EDGE:
1) Samson Ebukam
2) Haason Reddick
3) Jordan Willis
4) TJ Watt
5) Solomon Thomas
6) Tyus Bowser
7) Rey Hendrickson
8) JT Jones
9) Derek Rivers
10) Daeshon Hall

It's also worth noting that Derek Barnett is ranked 43rd at a 110.8 SPARQ score, -0.7 z-score, and 25.4 NFL percentage, which is abysmal.
A z-score of 0.0 and 50.0 NFL % are considered league-average NFL athletes at that particular position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought it would be worth rejuvenating this thread now that pro days are all nearly completed and the lists have been adjusted accordingly.

Top 10 EDGE:
1) Samson Ebukam
2) Haason Reddick
3) Jordan Willis
4) TJ Watt
5) Solomon Thomas
6) Tyus Bowser
7) Rey Hendrickson
8) JT Jones
9) Derek Rivers
10) Daeshon Hall

It's also worth noting that Derek Barnett is ranked 43rd at a 110.8 SPARQ score, -0.7 z-score, and 25.4 NFL percentage, which is abysmal.
A z-score of 0.0 and 50.0 NFL % are considered league-average NFL athletes at that particular position.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIf2hgr1zo
Reply/Quote
These formulas and such are always interesting. Teams have searched for years for a magic formula that identifies guys and reduce the chance of busts, but no team has found it yet. It is definitely interesting to read though.
Reply/Quote
Thank you for putting this up. When comparison to production is added on, I think Thomas, Rivers, and Hendrickson are prime picks compared to when they are supposed to be available
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What is SPARQ? It's an acronym coined by NIKE in 2004 that stands for Speed, Power, Agility, Reaction, and Quickness. It was intended to combine of all of these aspects of an athlete to give some type of overall grade to his or her athleticism. It was essentially supposed to be treated like a standardized test for sports training.

Interesting stuff, but I am ruinous top 10 in 2015 and how they performed as rookies and also 2016? Just curious to see if their picks panned out or like a lot of talking heads comments many consider experts yet their predictions rarely come true.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2017, 03:55 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Thank you for putting this up. When comparison to production is added on, I think Thomas, Rivers, and Hendrickson are prime picks compared to when they are supposed to be available

And Jordan Willis. Don't forget about this guy. Dude is in every top End comparison, just not a big college.

Just like Rivers and Hendrickson who would go much higher if they had their production at a big college.
Reply/Quote