Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad to see all of these teams making big moves
The Browns are making big moves. Even the Packers made a big move by signing Amos. While this team is stuck looking for bargains and signing bums like Hart. Same old Bungles....
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:34 PM)Trademark Wrote: The Browns are making big moves. Even the Packers made a big move by signing Amos. While this team is stuck looking for bargains and signing bums like Hart. Same old Bungles....

I prefer being prudent, paying our own and filling holes. A big mistake could ruin us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:35 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I prefer being prudent, paying our own and filling holes. A big mistake could ruin us.

Yep. Gotta preserve cap space to keep this 6-10 team together in the future.
Reply/Quote
In Marvin I trust. God it’s hard to root for this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Gotta preserve cap space to keep this 6-10 team together in the future.

What have you seen the Patriots do so far? The Saints? The Steelers?

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:39 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: In Marvin I trust. God it’s hard to root for this team.

Can’t we at least wait until they lose a game before we give up on them?

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:42 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: What have you seen the Patriots do so far? The Saints? The Steelers?

Patriots actually have a competent coaching staff and the best QB in the league
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: Patriots actually have a competent coaching staff and the best QB in the league

In free agency this year. The subject of this thread.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:42 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: What have you seen the Patriots do so far? The Saints? The Steelers?

The Pats signed Mike Bennett to replace Flowers, already had Wynn to replace Brown, and will net a 3rd rounder for the Brown rental. The Pats are sitting on a million draft picks, and will likely sign a few more key pieces that want to play for a title. They’re doing quite well.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:42 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: What have you seen the Patriots do so far? The Saints? The Steelers?

Well one of them won the Super Bowl and one probably should have been in the Super Bowl.  Are you comparing that to the Bengals 3 straight losing seasons?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: Patriots actually have a competent coaching staff and the best QB in the league

Neither of which they obtained in the first day of free agency.

(03-13-2019, 11:11 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The Pats signed Mike Bennett to replace Flowers, already had Wynn to replace Brown, and will net a 3rd rounder for the Brown rental.  The Pats are sitting on a million draft picks, and will likely sign a few more key pieces that want to play for a title.  They’re doing quite well.

(03-13-2019, 03:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well one of them won the Super Bowl and one probably should have been in the Super Bowl.  Are you comparing that to the Bengals 3 straight losing seasons?

It seems there has been a huge point that went over the heads of you guys.

There are a lot of REALLY BAD teams blowing tons of money to sign big name free agents.  At the same time there are lots of VERY GOOD teams who are not (and usually don't) blow tons of money to sign big name free agents.  Therefore you can't just make a blanket statement that the bengals suck because they are not out blowing tons of money on signing the top name free agents.

It amazes me how many people claim to follow the NFL yet seem not to realize that signing big name free agents really has no bearing on how good a team or front office is.

But why look at facts.  Sometimes that actually makes it harder to claim every move the "bungles" make is a huge mistake because they have been the worst team in the league for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither of which they obtained in the first day of free agency.

There are a lot of REALLY BAD teams blowing tons of money to sign big name free agents.  At the same time there are lots of VERY GOOD teams who are not (and usually don't) blow tons of money to sign big name free agents.  Therefore you can't just make a blanket statement that the bengals suck because they are not out blowing tons of money on signing the top name free agents.

It amazes me how many people claim to follow the NFL yet seem not to realize that signing big name free agents really has no bearing on how good a team or front office is.

But why look at facts.  Sometimes that actually makes it harder to claim every move the "bungles" make is a huge mistake because they have been the worst team in the league for a long time.

I'm saying you can't possibly compare a team with three losing seasons to a team with the greatest QB of all time coming off a Super Bowl win and another team with a HoF QB coming off a near Super Bowl appearance.  when the Bengals acquire the greatest QB of all time, then they should probably imitate the Pats.  I'm not arguing for or against big signings, just saying that's a weak measuring stick.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither of which they obtained in the first day of free agency.

Very eloquent. The point I was trying to make.

Reply/Quote

Oh yeah, St Louis begs to differ. Do you think Green Bay and Cleveland will be worse off for signing all those free agents? The notion that signing proving good players to your team to fill needs is somehow bad is laughable.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote:   I'm not arguing for or against big signings.

Then why get involved in a thread where the ONLY claim is that not signing a day one free agent makes us the "bungles".

That is what got me started.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:20 PM)yang Wrote:  The notion that signing proving good players to your team to fill needs is somehow bad is laughable.

Not to Washington Redskin fans who lived with Dan Snyder.

Not to most NFL fans who have seen how many big signings blow the cap without making the team better.
Reply/Quote

But the Bengals are a really bad team. So they are closer to the teams that need to take some risks to at least try to improve, then the teams that can sit back lean on their foundation.

How did all these new coaches end up loyal to the same players? Another thing we may have mistakenly blamed on Marvin. They are spending time talking to Eifert, Dennard (who I want back), and probably MJ (our late free agent savvy steal according to Hobspin). And that's just not going to get the job done.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Gotta preserve cap space to keep this 6-10 team together in the future.

the good parts of it they will others they will try and replace...

Too many holes right now to fix everything in 1 offseason.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: But the Bengals are a really bad team. So they are closer to the teams that need to take some risks to at least try to improve, then the teams that can sit back lean on their foundation.

How did all these new coaches end up loyal to the same players? Another thing we may have mistakenly blamed on Marvin. They are spending time talking to Eifert, Dennard (who I want back), and probably MJ (our late free agent savvy steal according to Hobspin). And that's just not going to get the job done.

Bengals 6-10 record had a lot to do with 15+ players being on IR last year...  hard to win consistently when the 1/3 of (what should be the) active roster is on IR
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Gotta preserve cap space to keep this 6-10 team together in the future.

Gee, great point, guess we've better go ahead and let AJ Green walk.

Do you read some of your own posts? Like you do understand that it's possible to have a bad record AND good players, right? 
Reply/Quote