Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sadly, what's lost in all this..
We've beaten them up all year and rightfully so, but the O-line played very good for 95% of last night game. For the most part, they held their own and were blowing holes open for the backs and gave Andy a little more time to see the field.
Reply/Quote
I believe Fan in Kettering was the one who pointed out the change in run blocking (more directional blocking). I believe that's been the difference in run blocking, which has been much improved. I'm not quite as confident in the pass blocking, even now. We've been firing a ton of quick throws to offset the rush, which helps. Despite the pass game being tailored for a bad line, we still gave up a couple ugly sacks and pressures last night.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Trey Hopkins played his best game as a pro. He was opening up holes he was picking up twists. Hopkins has been trending up recently.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Shame on coaching staff for nut running there on 3rd and 2 late in the game. Run blocking was great all night and Gio had just ripped off a big gain the play before. Couple that with 3 dropped balls by our receivers and that should have been a run 100% of the time.
Reply/Quote
Run blocking was better, but the pass blocking was still poor.

They just threw the ball a lot quicker. Saw a graphic during the game that said Dalton this year averaged 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, which was the 3rd fastest in the NFL. Last night he was averaging 2.1 seconds.

It also helps when Gio is out there Grown Man-ing some defenders.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 05:40 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Shame on coaching staff for nut running there on 3rd and 2 late in the game. Run blocking was great all night and Gio had just ripped off a big gain the play before. Couple that with 3 dropped balls by our receivers and that should have been a run 100% of the time.

Yeah, I was expecting a QB draw there or spreading the field out and give it to Gio.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 05:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Run blocking was better, but the pass blocking was still poor.

They just threw the ball a lot quicker. Saw a graphic during the game that said Dalton this year averaged 2.5 seconds to throw the ball, which was the 3rd fastest in the NFL. Last night he was averaging 2.1 seconds.

It also helps when Gio is out there Grown Man-ing some defenders.
I think at 1 point Andy had it down to 1.7 seconds last night. "Who needs laces"....
Reply/Quote
Yeah...and we still lost. We basically need to play a perfect game to beat the big boys.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 05:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I believe Fan in Kettering was the one who pointed out the change in run blocking (more directional blocking). I believe that's been the difference in run blocking, which has been much improved. I'm not quite as confident in the pass blocking, even now. We've been firing a ton of quick throws to offset the rush, which helps. Despite the pass game being tailored for a bad line, we still gave up a couple ugly sacks and pressures last night.

Yes, that was me. The directional blocking makes all the difference in the world in the run game and I give props to the Piano Man* for adjusting the offensive line to block against the 3-4 front. That’s not easy. Pass blocking is way different, though, and it’s a bigger change in thinking than run blocking. The best pass blocking offensive lines can be counted on the fingers of one hand: New England, um, uh, and, ah, uhhh....

I didn’t list Pittsburgh because they don’t have good pass blocking technique. They just hold and don’t get caught.

The Patriots pass block by leaping forward into the opposing defensive line. It makes for a much bigger pocket than the drop back and play pat-a-cake scheme the Bengals use.

*Yes, it hurt to write that.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 06:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...and we still lost. We basically need to play a perfect game to beat the big boys.

153+ yards in penalitys  + AJ greens TD called back  and a few other big plays called back..

We gave the steelers more than 250  extra yards... basically.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 06:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...and we still lost. We basically need to play a perfect game to beat the big boys.

Or at least not give Leveon Bell a free pass to the end zone down the sideline.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 06:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Yes, that was me.  The directional blocking makes all the difference in the world in the run game and I give props to the Piano Man* for adjusting the offensive line to block against the 3-4 front.  That’s not easy.  Pass blocking is way different, though, and it’s a bigger change in thinking than run blocking.  The best pass blocking offensive lines can be counted on the fingers of one hand:  New England, um, uh, and, ah, uhhh....

I didn’t list Pittsburgh because they don’t have good pass blocking technique.  They just hold and don’t get caught.

The Patriots pass block by leaping forward into the opposing defensive line.  It makes for a much bigger pocket than the drop back and play pat-a-cake scheme the Bengals use.

*Yes, it hurt to write that.

Hats off to ya, you were right.

We averaged 5.5 yards per carry from our RB's so...........that was one facet of the game that was working and I had serious doubts it would. I figured the Browns factor was playing a big part in our running the ball last week.

I stand corrected 
Reply/Quote
I hate to be positive after a game last night, but if the line continues to gel, that would be huge for whoever comes here in 2018. Would open up the draft for us.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 05:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We've beaten them up all year and rightfully so, but the O-line played very good for 95% of last night game. For the most part, they held their own and were blowing holes open for the backs and gave Andy a little more time to see the field.

I think the Steelers were shell shocked by the Shazier situation. However, once the 4th Quarter approached, the adrenaline started pumping, and you know the rest of the story.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 09:58 PM)Brimey Wrote: I hate to be positive after a game last night, but if the line continues to gel, that would be huge for whoever comes here in 2018. Would open up the draft for us.

I was shocked at how well they ran the ball in the first 1/2....

I hope this trend continues but they still need to pass block better....A.D. needs more time...
& as far as next yrs draft.....maybe we can trade WR Ross for a 7th rd pick to some sucker....opps, I mean some team who might want him to sit on their bench....then they can brag about how fast he can run in his underware in a straight line....
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2017, 09:58 PM)Brimey Wrote: I hate to be positive after a game last night, but if the line continues to gel, that would be huge for whoever comes here in 2018. Would open up the draft for us.

It’s ok to be positive when there are positives. You can be positive about some aspects of the team and negative about others at the same time.
Reply/Quote