Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety/Linebacker Hybrid
They can get a 3rd and a 4th or 5th for Dalton the bengals can rake in some quality players at several positions. I've found 5th round cbs to be real value as several can be starters in the nfl with a bit more coaching and time.

2 thirds, the first and close to last picks could land them Dugger/Harrison then Troy Dye/Bartch, then take Gaither first pick in the 4th.

Also Brooks is usually here in the 3rd too. Another player who can be a difference maker or even Brandon Jones the safety from texas. These are the players that can make this defense special with playing time and the right coaching
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 03:04 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I'm planning to make a thread about this, but round 3 is the sweet spot where Dugger, Harrison, Chinn and Dye go. If the Bengals can get an extra 3rd somehow they can significantly improve the D in this round while taking a premiere offensive talent in the 2nd, should any of the other defenders not be there at 33.

I agree with you.  I read somewhere else that the Bengals New DC does not think the backer position can hang with the new wave of QB.  So I now view the linebacker position as undervalued.  Similarly to the FB position.  The evolution of the NFL game is interesting.  SO I would not be surprised if the Bengals take their backer at #33 in Queen (not a big fan of Murray but some are) or Round 3 in Harrison or Dye.  My guess it would be Dye.  Then I would expect the Bengals to take two safeties. 

I could see Bengals going to TC with only 4 backers; and go with 3-2-6 alignments with 3 safeties and 3 CB.  The new CB players can play the rush well.  Or 4-1-6.  

Bengals need to trade Dalton for a 3rd or 4th to be able to get Chinn, Dugger, or Muse.  I really like Muse.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just get Isaiah Simmons. Problem solved. Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I posted this article because of the relevance for the Cincinnati Bengals...

https://landryfootball.com/scouts-take-evolution-safetylinebacker-hybrid-todays-nfl-free/?print=print

The evolution of the safety and linebacker position has been occurring for several years and seemed to be more related to the personnel rather than the actual position per se, until the last few years.  

Linebackers need to be more nimble and faster due to the mobility of the new wave of NFL QB.  The need for Big relatively quick linebackers are being replaced with somewhat large, much faster safeties.  

A concern for me and some fans of the Bengals is the lack of talent at the backer position in the 2020 NFL draft.  There are some backers that may be available but it is a thin class this year.  

Harrison, Dye, Queen, and Simmons are now the prototypical linebackers today.  So with this in mind, do not be surprised if the Bengals draft one linebacker and 2 or more safeties.  Here are some safeties that I like a lot:

McKinney
Dugger
Chinn
Muse
Burgess
Brookes

How could you not add Antoine Winfield Jr. to that Safety list?
Here's how NFL.Com grades them out and I'm a big fan of blood lines and players. Just look at our own Geno Atkins. I hope Winfield falls to them somewhere. He was the most impressive to me in the combine drills as well.

McKinney---Graded of 6.38
Winfield Jr---Grade of 6.36
Ashtyn Davis---Grade of 6.33
Kyle Dugger----Grade of 6.32
Grant Delpit----Grade of 6.30
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 03:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Heard from Synric also that the Bengals are wanting a second round pick for Dalton...

Problem is the Patriots don't have one. Mellow 

Take a 3rd damn it! Whatever

they are smoking crack if they are waiting for a 2nd rounder to be offered. For me, a 3rd, 4th or even a 5th is Ok just to get something out of it. Dalton does'nt want to stick around and be Burrows water boy ...need to unload him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:57 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: How could you not add Antoine Winfield Jr. to that Safety list?
Here's how NFL.Com grades them out and I'm a big fan of blood lines and players. Just look at our own Geno Atkins. I hope Winfield falls to them somewhere. He was the most impressive to me in the combine drills as well.

McKinney---Graded of 6.38
Winfield Jr---Grade of 6.36
Ashtyn Davis---Grade of 6.33
Kyle Dugger----Grade of 6.32
Grant Delpit----Grade of 6.30

Here's where my team building philosophy deviates from the numbers that you have listed.  I would take Jeremy Chinn, all day, every day, over those guys for a few very specific reasons.  Body size is the first, 6'3" 215 with 32.125" arms, and still ran a 4.45. That frame and length can't be duplicated in a smaller bodied player, and I don't think that he's done growing yet.  Secondly, he was a big fish in a small pond at Southern Illinois, he was likely bored and didn't get the advanced development from playing in a major program, meaning that the sky is still the limit as this guy develops into a grown man's game.

If the Bengals are serious about 3-4 hybrid defense, this is the guy I want developing into that "Star" position player.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:33 PM)kalibengal Wrote: they are smoking crack if they are waiting for a 2nd rounder to be offered. For me, a 3rd, 4th or even a 5th is Ok just to get something out of it. Dalton does'nt want to stick around and be Burrows water boy ...need to unload him. 

Would of taken anything we could get for Dalton who we would have to cut anyway to free up space...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's where my team building philosophy deviates from the numbers that you have listed.  I would take Jeremy Chinn, all day, every day, over those guys for a few very specific reasons.  Body size is the first, 6'3" 215 with 32.125" arms, and still ran a 4.45. That frame and length can't be duplicated in a smaller bodied player, and I don't think that he's done growing yet.  Secondly, he was a big fish in a small pond at Southern Illinois, he was likely bored and didn't get the advanced development from playing in a major program, meaning that the sky is still the limit as this guy develops into a grown man's game.

If the Bengals are serious about 3-4 hybrid defense, this is the guy I want developing into that "Star" position player.  

I like Chinn as well for those same reasons. He's ranked 6th in my book and I wouldn't be upset if the Bengals get him or Winfield if they trade down a bit in the 2nd round. 
But, the big school conferences that those others (besides Dugger and Chinn) do help these players become more NFL ready with the talent they're going up against week in and out. And, a guy like Winfield as I was saying with the bloodlines usually carries over well to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's where my team building philosophy deviates from the numbers that you have listed.  I would take Jeremy Chinn, all day, every day, over those guys for a few very specific reasons.  Body size is the first, 6'3" 215 with 32.125" arms, and still ran a 4.45. That frame and length can't be duplicated in a smaller bodied player, and I don't think that he's done growing yet.  Secondly, he was a big fish in a small pond at Southern Illinois, he was likely bored and didn't get the advanced development from playing in a major program, meaning that the sky is still the limit as this guy develops into a grown man's game.

For me, I might gamble on a guy like Chinn on day 3.  However, since off-season programs are likely going to be limited due to COVID-19, I would not be spending day 2 picks or multiple day 3 picks on project players from small schools.  I would also be avoiding guys with write ups that include descriptions like "low football IQ", "bad instincts", and "plays through a straw".  Chinn is both.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 03:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I posted this article because of the relevance for the Cincinnati Bengals...

https://landryfootball.com/scouts-take-evolution-safetylinebacker-hybrid-todays-nfl-free/?print=print

The evolution of the safety and linebacker position has been occurring for several years and seemed to be more related to the personnel rather than the actual position per se, until the last few years.  

Linebackers need to be more nimble and faster due to the mobility of the new wave of NFL QB.  The need for Big relatively quick linebackers are being replaced with somewhat large, much faster safeties.  

A concern for me and some fans of the Bengals is the lack of talent at the backer position in the 2020 NFL draft.  There are some backers that may be available but it is a thin class this year.  

Harrison, Dye, Queen, and Simmons are now the prototypical linebackers today.  So with this in mind, do not be surprised if the Bengals draft one linebacker and 2 or more safeties.  Here are some safeties that I like a lot:

McKinney
Dugger
Chinn
Muse

Burgess
Brookes

I have targeted Chinn and Dugger in the 3rd round in multiple Mocks...they are usually there...one will get overdrafted because of what he did at the Senior Bowl (Chinn) but I would love to see us get Dugger in Rd 3 and Muse in Rd 5.  Dugger to replace Williams who can platoon with Muse at nickel backer.  
Reply/Quote