Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety Vonn Bell Signed
(03-26-2020, 02:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Wren clearly hasn't developed as they hoped, otherwise they wouldn't have sunk over $55m into the position in Free Agency.

Compare that to how they view Jordan, another developmental prospect.

It was just his rookie year, Wren was considered to be raw, same as Jordan. Give them a bit of time.

Jonah on the other hand should be good right off the bat, as he was not considered raw at all but a step in and play LT.
Reply/Quote
I always like to see players who move on with class

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 02:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Wren clearly hasn't developed as they hoped, otherwise they wouldn't have sunk over $55m into the position in Free Agency.

No way in hell Bengals expected Wren to be one of the top NTs in the league at this point.  

The signing of Reader was NOT determined by Wren's development.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:52 PM)pally Wrote: I always like to see players who move on with class

Sounds like a great guy Vonn Bell. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like a great guy Vonn Bell. ThumbsUp

nahhhhh he's just another Ohio State dud!!!!  right NC???  Sarcasm

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:08 PM)RASCAL Wrote: nahhhhh he's just another Ohio State dud!!!!  right NC???  Sarcasm

Sam Hubbard is one my current favorite Bengals. I don’t have anything against their players.

Now their fans otoh... Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 09:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sam Hubbard is one my current favorite Bengals. I don’t have anything against their players.

Ya got that right.  I know this personally.  My own brother is one of those.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I think closer to the point is that Billings hadn't developed into the player that they thought he would be at this point.  Wren?  Dude was just a late round, developmental guy, as far as I'm concerned.  Heck, I think he fits more of a strong side end in a 3-4, than he does at NT in either alignment.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Do you even follow the team? It has nothing to do with Wren's development. He suffered a significant season ending injury, and there was a question if he'd be able to come back and play.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 01:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Marv always got credit for getting Mike to change.

How much credit does Zac get for this? It seems like somebody had a plan to tank last year and reset this year with a top pick and tons of cap space. If that person was Zac, he may wind up being better than any of us imagined.

Zac definitely deserves some credit. For Mike Brown, I think it came down to him realizing that his way isn't working and the fans were just about done. Whether it was Mike or not, fans clearly didn't come back in droves with a new HC. Then it was obvious that Burrow by himself wasn't going to bring a bunch of fans into the stands. The Bengals actually went out and functioned like a normal team instead of their usual head scratching ways.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 12:54 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Zac definitely deserves some credit. For Mike Brown, I think it came down to him realizing that his way isn't working and the fans were just about done. Whether it was Mike or not, fans clearly didn't come back in droves with a new HC. Then it was obvious that Burrow by himself wasn't going to bring a bunch of fans into the stands. The Bengals actually went out and functioned like a normal team instead of their usual head scratching ways.
Zac drafted Drew Sample in the 2nd round. 

Drew Sample. 

I mean, you can argue that he might've been a 3rd round guy or whatever, but pretty much everyone outside of Zac Taylor said he was a 6th round guy.  Our 2019 draft was just awful. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:56 AM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Zac drafted Drew Sample in the 2nd round. 

Drew Sample. 

I mean, you can argue that he might've been a 3rd round guy or whatever, but pretty much everyone outside of Zac Taylor said he was a 6th round guy.  Our 2019 draft was just awful. 

It looks bad so far, but if we can get two starters out of it (Pratt & Jonah) that’s about average.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:56 AM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Zac drafted Drew Sample in the 2nd round. 

Drew Sample. 

Book on Sample hasn't been written yet. 
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 01:56 AM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: I mean, you can argue that he might've been a 3rd round guy or whatever, but pretty much everyone outside of Zac Taylor said he was a 6th round guy.   

Actually you have no clue how other NFL teams graded Sample.

I remember last draft when EVERYONE knew mack Wilson Wilson was a second or third round pick.  .  .  .  until he was drafted in the 5th round.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you have no clue how other NFL teams graded Sample.

I remember last draft when EVERYONE knew mack Wilson Wilson was a second or third round pick.  .  .  .  until he was drafted in the 5th round.

Mack Wilson dropped because of “attitude/character issues”, and because he pissed off some people at Alabama for not staying another year. Had nothing to do with his ability as a player.

Unless Drew Sample’s personality is so infectious that he just blew Taylor and the Bengals completely away it’s probably safe to say he was taken too early. Because just him as a player was not worthy of a 2nd round pick.

Reply/Quote
Yes, I know the Bengals still need some faster linebackers but let me enlighten those who may not understand how the defensive line and secondary work in tandem against the pass.  The need for a good defensive line is obvious because they are the ones rushing the quarterback but the safeties and cornerbacks play a role here too.  If receivers are well covered, it gives those defensive linemen more time to attack the quarterback and get pressure.  Likewise, the pressure can cause quarterbacks to get skittish and throw interceptions.  The Bengals have vastly upgraded both of these position groups.
Reply/Quote

Drew Sample. 

According to Zac, there were 2 other teams taking Sample in Rd2. Best Blocking TE in the draft and dropped only 2 or 3 passes his senior year. I think with a year to develop an NFL body, you're going to be saying. "ok, now I see why".....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 09:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sam Hubbard is one my current favorite Bengals. I don’t have anything against their players.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Drew Sample. 

Please show me the factual evidence from the league verifying that comment.

That's not even close. After the draft, Zac and others were interviewed about that pick. After they moved down, they took him and were afraid he wouldn't be there at the top of their 3rd round pick. They verified with other teams' scouts and reps after the draft and were ensured he wouldn't have been there with their 3rd round pick.
I think I'll take their word for it over yours or any draft analyst out there.

Also, Sample is a 2nd year player and most on here including you have already declared him a bust. Most players aren't coming into their own until year 3. So, give the guy a chance before jumping all over him. He did get injured with several games left in the season.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 11:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mack Wilson dropped because of “attitude/character issues”, and because he pissed off some people at Alabama for not staying another year. 

That is one of the dumbest comments I have ever read.  

No matter why he dropped my point is still correct.  The draft "experts" around here have no clue how NFL teams rank some of these players.
Reply/Quote