Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety?
(01-15-2016, 03:10 AM)J24 Wrote: I don't get it all but it seems like Iloka might not be a priority for this team. According to Paul dhener its a 40% chance of retaining him and lap seems to think he is gone as well. Don't get and don't like it.

There might be some bad feelings from earlier this year. The Bengals had an extension on the table, but Iloka chose not sign it and bet on himself this season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 03:31 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: There might be some bad feelings from earlier this year. The Bengals had an extension on the table, but Iloka chose not sign it and bet on himself this season.

If he bet on himself, he lost.  I love him as a player, just not as a franchise type S.  Unless you have an Ed Reed type, you don't break the bank on a safety.

I really don't care if he walks.  He doesn't make enough impact plays for me.  I'm not convinced there is much of a drop-off from him to Williams.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If he bet on himself, he lost.  I love him as a player, just not as a franchise type S.  Unless you have an Ed Reed type, you don't break the bank on a safety.

I really don't care if he walks.  He doesn't make enough impact plays for me.  I'm not convinced there is much of a drop-off from him to Williams.

In today's NFL you need safties that can cover.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 06:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He'll probably sneak back on a low deal. Need him to drop more big time picks and record tackle stats 15 yards downfield. 

And totally fail in coverage.  Most overrated guy on the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 03:42 PM)3wt Wrote: And totally fail in coverage.  Most overrated guy on the team.

After listening to the latest BBP, I think it's safe to say that Rey will be back.

The scary thing is it sounds like Iloka won't be back unless we tag him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 05:07 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: After listening to the latest BBP, I think it's safe to say that Rey will be back.

The scary thing is it sounds like Iloka won't be back unless we tag him.

How big of a drop-off is there from Iloka to Williams?  Is it worth $7 million or so to keep Iloka?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How big of a drop-off is there from Iloka to Williams?  Is it worth $7 million or so to keep Iloka?

Williams did step up, but we also have to consider Reggie Nelson in all of this. While he got a lot picks, he did have his struggles this year. You can see that age is starting to catch up to him. I'm hoping that we can re-sign Iloka and have him and Williams together. That would give us a young great duo in the secondary.

The only projection I've seen for the franchise tag for a safety is $10.7 million.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 06:33 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Williams did step up, but we also have to consider Reggie Nelson in all of this. While he got a lot picks, he did have his struggles this year. You can see that age is starting to catch up to him. I'm hoping that we can re-sign Iloka and have him and Williams together. That would give us a young great duo in the secondary.

The only projection I've seen for the franchise tag for a safety is $10.7 million.

Like I said earlier, unless you have a complete game changer at safety, there probably isn't a reason to dish out $7million at the position.  

I didn't see a huge drop-off with Iloka out of the game.
Reply/Quote
I really like iloka as a player but you can't break the bank to keep him.

Hopefully they can negotiate something that works for both sides long term.

Really like having that heighth in the back end.

Plus I like saying I-L-O-K-A.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 03:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Like I said earlier, unless you have a complete game changer at safety, there probably isn't a reason to dish out $7million at the position.  

I didn't see a huge drop-off with Iloka out of the game.

What makes Iloka not a game changer? There's more to it than turnovers.

Williams stepped in well, but Nelson was also out there. The back end was always stable because at least one of those two were keeping things in check. If both of them aren't back, I'd bet you'd notice the difference.

With that said, we can't completely recreate the market for a SS. We shouldn't have to.
Reply/Quote
I think folks forget that Shaw played Safety in college. Many analysts said that is where his future would be. I think we were pressed to play him more at CB this year because of injury.

It may also be time to bring Leon back on the low-low and do that Charles Woodsen thing.

I had negatives views on Iloka from the time he punch a teammate in TC and injured his hand. I cannot remember the guy he hit, but the guy was a beast (maybe from UK even); yet did nothing in retaliation. but George has turned me with his on-field play the last couple seasons.

WTS if he wants Top dollar he can walk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I feel like unless some team throws outrageous money at Nelson (possible), we could keep both him and Iloka. So unless they feel like they want to get younger at the position (hard to argue with him leading the league in INTs this year), I'm hoping Lapham is wrong. That said, as always, the coaches know more about it than I do and I trust their plan.

Or could we maybe franchise tag Nelson? That'd be like $10 million...but I suppose he could go for that much on the open market anyways.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 04:25 PM)Stormborn Wrote: What makes Iloka not a game changer? There's more to it than turnovers.

Williams stepped in well, but Nelson was also out there. The back end was always stable because at least one of those two were keeping things in check. If both of them aren't back, I'd bet you'd notice the difference.

With that said, we can't completely recreate the market for a SS. We shouldn't have to.

I guess I don't see a ton of impact, game changing plays from him.  

If you look at the top 10 safety contracts out there, the bottom of them is $7 million per year.  I can't say that Iloka would be worth that kind of money.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2016, 11:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess I don't see a ton of impact, game changing plays from him.  

If you look at the top 10 safety contracts out there, the bottom of them is $7 million per year.  I can't say that Iloka would be worth that kind of money.

Iloka hasn't been charged with a TD allowed in like 2 years or something ridiculous like that at one point. 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 02:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Iloka hasn't been charged with a TD allowed in like 2 years or something ridiculous like that at one point. 

Iloka is the kind of safety that Marvin has been looking for since he got here. A guy who can cover the pass and defend the run.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 05:22 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Iloka is the kind of safety that Marvin has been looking for since he got here. A guy who can cover the pass and defend the run.

He also calls all the plays in the secondary and sets up the secondary as well. To me he is a like bigger more athletic Ryan Clark for us.
J24

Reply/Quote
Karl Joesph out of WV is probably my favorite safety in the entire class. Dude can cover and tackle. Pretty much everything you look for in a safety. The knee injury may cause some teams to overlook him. If he's there in the 3rd I pray we make that pick.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I agree i think we will bring back Iloka and let Reggie go.

Would not be a bad idea to get another Playmaking Safety in the 2nd or 3rd round.

But i also agree with the people talking about Derron Smith, the dude is a ballhawk and was a steal for us.

Lapham saying this does make me wonder though, he has been pretty spot on with the guys we have drafted early the last few years.
Reply/Quote
From what I am reading it doesn't sound like its a strong safety class this season but seems to be a nice hybrid linebacker / Safety class.
J24

Reply/Quote