Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saints release G Larry Warford
Released as a cap move. Warford is 29 years old, plays right guard, and is pro-bowler 3 years running. He's from Kentucky. He was scheduled to make $12.85 million this year which might make him too rich for our cap situation.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Saints just released Warford! I say sign him and cut Redmond, and I do a happy dance.

He's from Richmond, KY, and overlapped with I believe Callahan and Golden in Detroit.

There might be some question as to whether it's a scheme fit (I mean if we ditched Miller for XSF over scheme, why would Warford fit) but he'd still be our best lineman right away, which would make it worth it to me.

I admit, I also just wanted another OL thread because that "how we failed burrow" thread is getting crazy off topic.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 06:04 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Saints just released Warford! I say sign him and cut Redmond, and I do a happy dance.

He's from Richmond, KY, and overlapped with I believe Callahan and Golden in Detroit.

There might be some question as to whether it's a scheme fit (I mean if we ditched Miller for XSF over scheme, why would Warford fit) but he'd still be our best lineman right away, which would make it worth it to me.

I admit, I also just wanted another OL thread because that "how we failed burrow" thread is getting crazy off topic.

Do it, do it. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Like you say, the cap hit would be significant, but I'd love to have him in Cincinnati. I think the cap leftover is going to extensions and a backup QB.
Reply/Quote
What a shame. If the Bengals believed in spending money on the Guard position, they could still make the moves to put him on our OL. However, if Adeniji doesn't work out at Tackle, I have feeling that he could make a smooth transition to Guard in the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They should but they won’t. I’d be shocked even though it’s a little concerning the Saints are trying to get quicker up front with Ruiz and Warford was a casualty for not just cap reasons
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 06:26 PM)samhain Wrote: Like you say, the cap hit would be significant, but I'd love to have him in Cincinnati.  I think the cap leftover is going to extensions and a backup QB.

they are standing pat on the QBs they have

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Please football Gods, let this happen Pray
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 06:04 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: Saints just released Warford! I say sign him and cut Redmond, and I do a happy dance.

I don;t think we can afford him at the risk of not extending some contracts... Cap Space too tight for this type of signing
Reply/Quote
If he fits, we could do it and still get an extension done for Mixon.

Gio could become our casualty.

23 mil minus 11 for rookies leaves us with 12 mil.

Give Mixon an extension that keeps his salary the same for this year, just give him a bonus. 9m mil is dead space this year. That will be back next year so his Salary is covered.

I'm sure Warford would do a 1 yr or 2 year contact at 8-9 mil per. Not many teams have space atm.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 08:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think we can afford him at the risk of not extending some contracts... Cap Space too tight for this type of signing

I don't think that's true at all. We can extend AJ in such a way that saves us money, not costs us money. Remember, he's not technically signed so anything we do is a new contract, not an extension on the 18million he currently counts as. So let's say we sign him to a 3 year contract with 15m guaranteed and 10m in first year base salary (just for the sake of numbers)... that means his 2020 cap hit drops from 18m to 15m. 

Overthecap.com says we have 24m of space left. Figure 15m, conservatively speaking, for rookies and injury pad. That leaves 9m, plus the 3 just saved above, for 12 million. Mixon's extension is only the first year of his signing bonus, since he unlike green is under contract. So it's a 5 or 6m hit. So 6m left for Warford, and with clever cap maneuvering I think we can add another edge rusher too. 
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 08:56 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If he fits, we could do it and still get an extension done for Mixon.

Gio could become our casualty.

23 mil minus 11 for rookies leaves us with 12 mil.

Give Mixon an extension that keeps his salary the same for this year, just give him a bonus. 9m mil is dead space this year. That will be back next year so his Salary is covered.

I'm sure Warford would do a 1 yr or 2 year contact at 8-9 mil per. Not many teams have space atm.

Love it Mike. Sure would help Burrow, Warford is a top 10 Guard in the NFL and we are weak to say the least here. Joe
Reply/Quote
In terms of cap, I think we have around $17 million.

Yeah, we start at that number from over the cap, which is like $24 million. Then we have to sign the rookies, which is like $11 million plus. But it is not a straight subtraction. When you sign a rookie it is bumping someone else OFF the roster who currently counts vs the cap. Accounting for this displacement effect, the rooks only cost us $7 million or so vs the cap.

AJ's extension will likely saves us vs the cap, as I do not think he will sign for more than $17.8 mil per year. Mixon's deal would increase the cap number. And remember, we likely want some room for injury replacements, and some rollover for next year (when we have a lot of FAs: Ross, Tupou, Jaxkson, Alexander, Lawson.

We have the space, question is, do we want to lock up $10+ mil on a guard for 3-4 years right now. He and an extension for Mixon means we are likely right up against the cap.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 10:58 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In terms of cap, I think we have around $17 million.

Yeah, we start at that number from over the cap, which is like $24 million. Then we have to sign the rookies, which is like $11 million plus. But it is not a straight subtraction. When you sign a rookie it is bumping someone else OFF the roster who currently counts vs the cap. Accounting for this displacement effect, the rooks only cost us $7 million or so vs the cap.

AJ's extension will likely saves us vs the cap, as I do not think he will sign for more than $17.8 mil per year. Mixon's deal would increase the cap number. And remember, we likely want some room for injury replacements, and some rollover for next year (when we have a lot of FAs: Ross, Tupou, Jaxkson, Alexander, Lawson.

We have the space, question is, do we want to lock up $10+ mil on a guard for 3-4 years right now. He and an extension for Mixon means we are likely right up against the cap.

I think this is exactly right. I had forgotten about the displacement effect. 

Only quibble I have is the last part. If what you mean is that Warford would make 10 mil per year for 3-4 years, that's way too high. Any team could've traded for him for 7.75m (what N.O. cleared when they cut him) with nothing guaranteed. The fact that N.O. couldn't find a trade partner leads me to believe that he'll sign for something less than that. And i'm sure it'll be a one year deal. But then perhaps I misunderstood you. 
Reply/Quote
I'm a big supporter of signing Warford as i've said above, but I did want to play devil's advocate too; rumor has it the Saints drafted his replacement because they want to get more athletic on the OL. Well that's what we're doing to, hence we cut Miller and signed XSF. So why would we sign a power guard who has trouble finding targets in space?

Not that that means we shouldn't do it, as he's still an excellent pass protector.
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001113392/article/saints-cut-pro-bowl-ol-larry-warford-for-cap-relief

Larry Warford
OG

Warford's PFF grade is rock solid and he's barely missed a snap in four years on one of the best offensive lines in football. The fact that Sean Payton wanted to get rid of Warford, however, is a red flag.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A leftover free agent market still comprised of some notable names just added another big one Friday.

The Saints announced they have cut Pro Bowl guard Larry Warford. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the move saves New Orleans more than $7 million against the cap.

Warford earned a $750,000 roster bonus just this spring, but new contracts for quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill required financial relief, Rapoport added. New Orleans also prepared for possibly parting ways with Warford when it drafted guard Cesar Ruiz with the No. 24 overall pick in April's draft.

Three years ago, the Saints signed Warford to a four-year, $34 million dolar deal. He rewarded them with three consecutive Pro Bowl campaigns. The eighth-year lineman has started all 101 games he's played in for the Saints and Detroit Lions, which drafted him in the third round out of Kentucky in 2013.

Now he's surprisingly back on the board. He'll have his suitors.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Saints-release-G-Larry-Warford?pid=869340#pid869340
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Instant upgrade to the Oline, sign him.
Reply/Quote
Already been posted but yes they should.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They should, but I think they honestly feel like they are good on the offensive line, which is kinda scary.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote