Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salty defense...
According to the home page articles, the defense has come to play. I had to laugh when I read Reader's comment to Mixon.....
https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-notebook-salty-defense-burrow-s-gift-an-echo-from-boomer-another-hall-miss

Quote:Bell, the former Saints free safety, has become a fast favorite of teammates and coaches alike. He's known for getting to Paul Brown Stadium at 6 a.m. and then hounding the other guys in the secondary to join him when he gives them a wake-up call.

Bell's shot on Bernard looked to be inadvertent but still aggressive because he didn't back away or slow down. Taylor made sure to let Bell know he appreciated the sentiment, but not the moment.

"It's competitive. It's nothing personal. Guys are going after each other because they like to compete," Taylor said. "And there's just some frustration on some plays. When the offense gives up a play that they shouldn't have given up or the defense gives up a play, it means something to the guys. They're upset about it. And sometimes they take out their physical aggression. I told Vonn, 'Just take it out on your position coach.' Rob (Livingston) can coach in a sling. But don't take it out on Gio. But those guys are good about it. They know they're trying to protect each other. But it's been competitive for three days, that's for sure."

You know it is when you see a running play stuffed at the line and you hear Reader call out to Mixon, "Find another lane, Joe."

No question stopping the run has become a mantra of the new guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 12:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: According to the home page articles, the defense has come to play. I had to laugh when I read Reader's comment to Mixon.....
https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-notebook-salty-defense-burrow-s-gift-an-echo-from-boomer-another-hall-miss

A lot of this is the typical TC fluff. I’ll be excited when/if we see it on gameday. I will say I think Reader and Bell bring a certain edge we’ve been missing for some time so I’m happy about that.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 12:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: A lot of this is the typical TC fluff. I’ll be excited when/if we see it on gameday. I will say I think Reader and Bell bring a certain edge we’ve been missing for some time so I’m happy about that.

Yeah, I realize it's Hobson, but I do believe these new guys, including the 2 from Zimmer's D in Minnesota, have brought in an edge that will be contagious.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 12:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: According to the home page articles, the defense has come to play. I had to laugh when I read Reader's comment to Mixon.....

Love it. Thanks for the read. Loved what Reader said and I also liked what Taylor said. 

Take it out on your coach, he can coach in a sling lol
Reply/Quote
Our defense has played on it's heels for quite some time now. It will be nice to see them have some swagger for a change.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 01:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Our defense has played on it's heels for quite some time now. It will be nice to see them have some swagger for a change.

Over the last two years are defense has not just been bad.  It has been as bad as any Bengal defense in history and that is saying A LOT.

Like a lot of the talent we brought in.

Still worried about the coaching.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last two years are defense has not just been bad.  It has been as bad as any Bengal defense in history and that is saying A LOT.

Hoping Golden and the new LB's we brought in change this.

Linebacker play has been a big reason for this.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last two years are defense has not just been bad.  It has been as bad as any Bengal defense in history and that is saying A LOT.

Agreed, coaching is still suspect. They lacked the talent to run a good scheme last year I felt, and tried to make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

That defense the last two years wasn’t just historically bad from a Bengals perspective but historically bad from a total NFL perspective. Marvins last year if they didn’t slightly improve the defense the last few weeks they were on pace to be the worst defense in NFL history. Just barely dodged it.
Reply/Quote
The Defense actually played well at the end of the season (weeks 2-11 they sucked ) So there is a lot of room for optimism for the unit.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

I’m equally as concerned about the coaching on the other side of the ball tbh...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I may be alone, but I am looking forward to seeing what Lou can do with this defense now that he has some of his guys that actually fit what he wants to do.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I may be alone, but I am looking forward to seeing what Lou can do with this defense now that he has some of his guys that actually fit what he wants to do.

This is key, plus we are going to have more physical tackling practices this year. Kind of hard to judge Lou when he had such 
terrible tackling Linebackers last season. Doesn't matter how good you call plays if the players cannot tackle.
Reply/Quote