Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Hubbard
With Mixon gone he is the only Marvin player left
Reply/Quote
Yep! And I am hoping that he is back to 100% for the season - he played hurt all last season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:03 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: With Mixon gone he is the only Marvin player left

Well Boyd is too
Reply/Quote
Yes, I was just talking about this with some friends and family yesterday. Only Hubbard is left from the Marvin era.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Well Boyd is too

Boyd is a FA and hasn't even been slightly rumored to be returning. Rumors to the Chiefs (before Hollywood Brown I believe), Steelers, Jets, and Patriots.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 05:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Well Boyd is too

He gone
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully this is the year Sam gets his double digit sack numbers, last year he got hurt and it really hurt the entire Defense.

Sam is an underrated player for us in my opinion, he is a great leader and does a lot of the small things that don't get noticed.

Great run stopper when he is healthy and able to seal the edge. Wasn't able to do this last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully this is the year Sam gets his double digit sack numbers, last year he got hurt and it really hurt the entire Defense.

Sam is an underrated player for us in my opinion, he is a great leader and does a lot of the small things that don't get noticed.

Great run stopper when he is healthy and able to seal the edge. Wasn't able to do this last year.

That's a good point, and one that's often overlooked when casual fans are giving their assessment of why the Bengals gave up so many rushing yards last season.  Sam Hubbard will likely never be that double digit sack guy, but he's an integral part of what make the defensive front seven operate as it should.  Him playing injured was likely as much as a contribution to the lapse in run defense as was the lack of communication on the young Safeties part.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 04:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a good point, and one that's often overlooked when casual fans are giving their assessment of why the Bengals gave up so many rushing yards last season.  Sam Hubbard will likely never be that double digit sack guy, but he's an integral part of what make the defensive front seven operate as it should.  Him playing injured was likely as much as a contribution to the lapse in run defense as was the lack of communication on the young Safeties part.  

For sure Sam's injury played a big part in our struggles stopping the run.

Sam being healthy and adding a good run stopping NT and we should be much better at stopping the run this year.

I know Lou will be harping on them big time this Offseason to take better angles and tackle better.
Reply/Quote
Hendrickson needs to do a better job in run support as well. He is more focused on getting sacks than being a complete DE than can also stop the run. He is horrible in run support. With Hendrickson being as bad as he is in run support and Hubbard hurt last year then the secondary issues last year, its no wonder the defense struggled.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hendrickson needs to do a better job in run support as well.  He is more focused on getting sacks than being a complete DE than can also stop the run.  He is horrible in run support.  With Hendrickson being as bad as he is in run support and Hubbard hurt last year then the secondary issues last year, its no wonder the defense struggled.

Agree, Trey has never been a good run stopping End. 

This is one area where I would like to see Murphy in there on running downs more often.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hopefully this is the year Sam gets his double digit sack numbers, last year he got hurt and it really hurt the entire Defense.

I see so many people, who I will refer to as Dumbasses going forward, on social media wanting to get rid of Sam because he doesn't have the sack numbers Trey has. They fail to see that Sam is spying or dropping into coverage a lot. They also don't know he was playing on a bad wheel 3/4 of last season. You are correct he does a lot that most people don't see.
Reply/Quote
Hubbard playing hurt all year was a BIG factor in the defense constantly blowing contain.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:30 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Hendrickson needs to do a better job in run support as well.  He is more focused on getting sacks than being a complete DE than can also stop the run.  He is horrible in run support.  With Hendrickson being as bad as he is in run support and Hubbard hurt last year then the secondary issues last year, its no wonder the defense struggled.

I brought this up early last season that Trey doesn't defend against the cut back. I believe it was in game 1 against Cleveland, if Trey had been doing his job, Cleveland wouldn't have had all those yards on the ground...He's pretty bad at containment
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 09:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I brought this up early last season that Trey doesn't defend against the cut back. I believe it was in game 1 against Cleveland, if Trey had been doing his job, Cleveland wouldn't have had all those yards on the ground...He's pretty bad at containment

He is horrible.  Everybody seems to give him a pass because of the sacks but he is a big liability in run defense.
Reply/Quote
Hoping we resign him next offseason but damn if he balls out and gets back to his run stop shit we’ll be priced out and have to start Murphy

I honestly wouldn’t hate that because I’m predicting Murphy “arrives” this season but man it’s gonna hurt letting him walk with all he’s done here
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 11:29 PM)Housh Wrote: Hoping we resign him next offseason but damn if he balls out and gets back to his run stop shit we’ll be priced out and have to start Murphy

I honestly wouldn’t hate that because I’m predicting Murphy “arrives” this season but man it’s gonna hurt letting him walk with all he’s done here

Sam is honestly my favorite player. The guy is a football player.
Reply/Quote
Sam Hubbard is a good starting LDE that has never been in question. The question will be is the Bengals 2023 1st Round Pick Myles Murphy good enough to start taking reps from Hubbard? Or will Murphy be the 35% to 45% snaps average on the season as the backup?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:26 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Sam is honestly my favorite player. The guy is a football player.

I have his jersey for a reason: an all-time Bengal at this point and a great guy, always one of my favourites.

I think he should stick around for another 7-8 years, transitioning to backup. Will he though, is another question.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 09:42 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I see so many people, who I will refer to as Dumbasses going forward, on social media wanting to get rid of Sam because he doesn't have the sack numbers Trey has. They fail to see that Sam is spying or dropping into coverage a lot. They also don't know he was playing on a bad wheel 3/4 of last season. You are correct he does a lot that most people don't see.

Pretty stupid to want to get rid of Sam alright. The guy damn near single handedly put us in a Super Bowl a couple years back 
spying Mahomes and getting 3 sacks in that 2nd half. When Sam is healthy, he is one of the best run stopping Ends in the league.

You don't get rid of this especially when you play in this Division.

(03-19-2024, 01:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have his jersey for a reason: an all-time Bengal at this point and a great guy, always one of my favourites.

I think he should stick around for another 7-8 years, transitioning to backup. Will he though, is another question.

Being that Sam is so underrated, we should be able to extend him I figure...

I agree, I want to guy around here for as long as possible and I hear the same thing from Lou. 

Rankins will help him this year as well. Really like Rankins the more I learn about him.
Reply/Quote