Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sam Hubbard Extended
(07-26-2021, 12:40 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Three years of 1000+ snaps though and two of the three are very good to elite. Looks more like 2019 was an anomaly. 

It's not like the Bengals are going to get a great deal if they sign Bates now. He's probably going to get either the highest or second highest safety contract in the NFL if you sign him to an extension in 2021.

I am just saying I would rather spend the extra $1-2m/yr a year from now and be SURE he's the the guy who should be the highest or second highest paid safety in the NFL.

Bates is a better player (in my opinion), so the comparison isn't exact, but Joe Mixon also had 1 terrible year, 1 good year, and 1 great year before getting a contract. Now imagine if the Bengals had held off on paying Joe Mixon for just 1 year. Nobody would give Mixon a 4yr/$48m deal right now and the Bengals could have saved themselves a boatload of cap space and guaranteed money. (If Mixon is bad again this year, they can't really cut him before 2022 as he'd have a $8.25m dead cap hit.)

Wait the extra year, and if you have to pay an extra $1-2m/yr to secure an All-Pro caliber safety, that's not such a terrible thing compared to the possibility of making a $60m mistake.

(07-26-2021, 01:42 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Wait so this thread turned into a Jessie Bates is overrated and shouldn't be re-signed thread.  Lol C'mon man.
Yes let's let the best safety in the NFL walk.  After all he didn't become the best until his 3rd year.  

If that's what you got from reading my post, you didn't read my post at all. Thanks for the great contribution.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 10:38 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not like the Bengals are going to get a great deal if they sign Bates now. He's probably going to get either the highest or second highest safety contract in the NFL if you sign him to an extension in 2021.

I am just saying I would rather spend the extra $1-2m/yr a year from now and be SURE he's the the guy who should be the highest or second highest paid safety in the NFL.

Bates is a better player (in my opinion), so the comparison isn't exact, but Joe Mixon also had 1 terrible year, 1 good year, and 1 great year before getting a contract. Now imagine if the Bengals had held off on paying Joe Mixon for just 1 year. Nobody would give Mixon a 4yr/$48m deal right now and the Bengals could have saved themselves a boatload of cap space and guaranteed money. (If Mixon is bad again this year, they can't really cut him before 2022 as he'd have a $8.25m dead cap hit.)

Wait the extra year, and if you have to pay an extra $1-2m/yr to secure an All-Pro caliber safety, that's not such a terrible thing compared to the possibility of making a $60m mistake.

If that's what you got from reading my post, you didn't read my post at all. Thanks for the great contribution.

Its smarter to get the Bates deal done now because the Salary Cap is going have huge jumps over the next few years which means contracts will too. And we already know Jessie Bates is the best single high safety in the NFL and deserves a contract. Tape Doesn't Lie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 10:53 AM)Synric Wrote: Its smarter to get the Bates deal done now because the Salary Cap is going have huge jumps over the next few years which means contracts will too. And we already know Jessie Bates is the best single high safety in the NFL and deserves a contract. Tape Doesn't Lie.

Getting the deal done while he still has a year left on his contract also gives the club an extra year to spread out the cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: 4 year 40 Million is the initial report.

An absolute steal that that price.  He is a strong run stuffer, with great position versatility (we have seen him drop in to coverage as well as rotate inside), and a team leader.

Well done, Bengals.  Now, please hold off the whining about not extending Bates first.  I am sure that is coming eventually but there is more to consider, such as the franchise tag for a safety being a lot less money than positions like CB or DE.  
Reply/Quote
Congrats Sam,

Well Earned
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Less when you consider it's an extension and spread out over 5 years. Actually a solid rate for a second tier defensive end.

Very solid.  And Sam has consistently been one of the better run-stuffing DEs despite some less-than-desirable talent next to him.  Stopping the run is sort of important in the AFC North  Ninja.  He has 15 sacks over the past three seasons and he really did the vast majority of that in his first two seasons and missed significant time last year due to injury.  

One thing about our defensive line as it relates to the pass rush:  You have to earn the right to rush the passer.  If teams are gouging you in the running game and your offense keeps giving the ball back so you are rarely playing with a lead, it is very difficult to mount a significant pass rush.  Sam is a really good all-around DE that could have a breakout season with better line play around him and a more potent offense.  

This was a really good signing and I am very happy for Sam and the Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 07:23 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Steelers fans are laughing because they are used to.seeing
Better sack numbers from their pass rushers.
Hubbard had only 2.5 sacks last year and he gets
A extension.
Of course Steelers fans are laughing
Would their franchise pay out the same extension
To a player to similar numbers as Hubbard...
Probably not. 
Just matters what side of the fence you are
Bengals fans applaud it
Steelers fans laugh at it

Bud Dupree had essentially the same number of sacks as Hubbard through his first three years.  I don't know if he missed extensive time to injury like Hubbard, but Hubbard had 13.5 sacks after his first two seasons and missed extensive time last season.  And as I mentioned in a previous post, Sam is one of the better run-stuffing DEs in the league.  

I will add that Dupree had a high-powered offense and great talent around him.  Sam had neither of those things.  Very excited to see what he can do this year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 01:42 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Wait so this thread turned into a Jessie Bates is overrated and shouldn't be re-signed thread.  Lol C'mon man.
Yes let's let the best safety in the NFL walk.  After all he didn't become the best until his 3rd year.  

And he is younger than Joe Burrow, which is somewhat amazing.  That being said, all he said was wait until after this season.  It is a good idea.  
Reply/Quote
Seems like a fair deal for Bengals and Hubbard, win, win.

Now Bates has to be a priority signing for Bengals. Don't want to wait at all on this one personally.

MB is going to have to rip open his quadruple extra sticky velcroed wallet (insert sound effect) and dig a lil deeper to get this done though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2021, 03:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: 4 year 40 Million is the initial report.

Great news, think Sam is about to blow up. Perfect timing before he does. Can never doubt this guy's work ethic and last year he 
really improved in stopping the run like he said he was working on. Then he got his arm injured. Bet he works on his pass rush big 
time and could end up leading us in sacks or at least pressures this year even if I think Hendrickson leads us in sacks as he is a great
finisher with discipline.

Makes me happy. Rock On

Yeah baby. Now get Bates extended. Cool
Reply/Quote
Wasn’t Fred or someone posting stats all season on how he was the best DE against the run or something?

Not a shot at Fred or anyone just trying to remember what he was really good at that no one in the mainstream media talked about. Good contract imo as long as he gets better. If he stays the same or regresses then it’s a bad deal
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 02:34 AM)Housh Wrote: Wasn’t Fred or someone posting stats all season on how he was the best DE against the run or something?

Not a shot at Fred or anyone just trying to remember what he was really good at that no one in the mainstream media talked about. Good contract imo as long as he gets better. If he stays the same or regresses then it’s a bad deal

I believe he was the number 1 DE against the run last year. But that's doing the dirty work whereas sac numbers is what gets the glory and media attention. 
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2021, 02:34 AM)Housh Wrote: Wasn’t Fred or someone posting stats all season on how he was the best DE against the run or something?

It wasn't just Fred, it was a mainstream deal, could of been PFF I don't know who but yeah he was rated the best edge at stopping
the run in the NFL in something. Cannot remember exactly what. Hubbard was a great run stopper last year, basically our only guy 
who was.
Reply/Quote