Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Hubbard Quietly having a good year
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, he's been solid and his motor never stops.

Like all the DL ...playing from behind and facing a fair few mobile QBs means the sack numbers are not good but he's the sort of early , mid round pick who produces we desperately need more of.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how much of that is that the defense really sucks, so they have more opportunities?

If you get a 3-and-out, their offense only has a max of 3 chances to fail. If you allow a 14 play TD drive, the offense can "fail" 7 times, so long as they get those first downs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Hubbard is a keeper. Just think if Young was on the other side. No way to double up Hubbard, Young and Geno. Pick up a run stuffer and one line is fixed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 08:30 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I wonder how much of that is that the defense really sucks, so they have more opportunities?

If you get a 3-and-out, their offense only has a max of 3 chances to fail. If you allow a 14 play TD drive, the offense can "fail" 7 times, so long as they get those first downs.

It works the other way around too. If the offense were controlling games the defense would get more opportunities to rush the passer and more chances for interceptions on the back end.

It's not a coincidence that Carlos Dunlap's best year as a pass rusher is 2015.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
The Dline is quietly having a good year(at least when you judge them by PFF grades) it's just the rest of the defense sucks. Especially at LB and Safety.
Crazy stat we actually have given more receptions to TE and RBs then Wrs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Dline is good. unfortunately the LB core is a trainwreck as everyone but ownership knows
Reply/Quote
Sacks get the headlines, and Hubbard only has 3.0, so he's gone largely unnoticed.
But Hubbard has been filling that MJ role rather well from back when MJ was actually good.
Bengals still need a truly elite pass rusher though. Shame they pulled back the deal for Barrett, who is second in the league in sacks (although 7.0 of his came in just two games).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He's our future on the defensive side of the ball, high motor and great character guy, this team needs more of him.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2019, 02:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sacks get the headlines, and Hubbard only has 3.0, so he's gone largely unnoticed.
But Hubbard has been filling that MJ role rather well from back when MJ was actually good.
Bengals still need a truly elite pass rusher though. Shame they pulled back the deal for Barrett, who is second in the league in sacks (although 7.0 of his came in just two games).

Who knows if Barrett would have did that here. Likely he is hurt and on the IR.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 12:01 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who knows if Barrett would have did that here. Likely he is hurt and on the IR.

You can't be mad the Bengals don't participate in FA but then say things like this.
Is there no winning with you, man?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 08:32 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Hubbard is a keeper. Just think if Young was on the other side. No way to double up Hubbard, Young and Geno. Pick up a run stuffer and one line is fixed.

Or just start Tupuo or however you spell it.  Young, Tupuo/Billings , Atkins, Hubbard = QB has 3 or less seconds to throw which then equals better secondary play.  Line makes everything better, except LB since they'll still get dinked and dunked on via TE's and RB screens.,
Reply/Quote
This is in no way trying to take up for this defense, they'd still be bad with this set of LBers. However.... our offense is only scoring 14 points a game. Opposing offenses can play at their leisure ! We've rarely had any teams offense in any sense of urgency all season.

Who knows how many sacks Hubbard, Dunlap, even Geno might have had if we had even three or four teams under the gun late. Hubbard may never be a game changer but he's at least a good rotational guy and well worth keeping.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You can't be mad the Bengals don't participate in FA but then say things like this.
Is there no winning with you, man?

I can say that. Barrett was considered a bust in Denver and our doctors checked him and he had a bad shoulder.

With our coaching/scheme, I doubt he is 2nd in the league in sacks...and maybe that should acts up.

With our coaching, guys like Geno/Bates/Dunlap decline. I doubt a bust like Barrett turns around his career here. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is in no way trying to take up for this defense, they'd still be bad with this set of LBers. However.... our offense is only scoring 14 points a game. Opposing offenses can play at their leisure ! We've rarely had any teams offense in any sense of urgency all season.

Who knows how many sacks Hubbard, Dunlap, even Geno might have had if we had even three or four teams under the gun late. Hubbard may never be a game changer but he's at least a good rotational guy and well worth keeping.

Correct. The weird thing is how misdirections beat this team over and over though...which points to the ends partially.

But, IF you have slow LB's...you don't only put 2 out there.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I can say that. Barrett was considered a bust in Denver and our doctors checked him and he had a bad shoulder.

With our coaching/scheme, I doubt he is 2nd in the league in sacks...and maybe that should acts up.

With our coaching, guys like Geno/Bates/Dunlap decline. I doubt a bust like Barrett turns around his career here. 

So the Bengals should just not sign FAs until they have proven success with their coaching staff?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is in no way trying to take up for this defense, they'd still be bad with this set of LBers. However.... our offense is only scoring 14 points a game. Opposing offenses can play at their leisure ! We've rarely had any teams offense in any sense of urgency all season.

Most sacks occur on third-and-long.  Our run defense is so bad we rarely have any teams in third-and-long situations.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So the Bengals should just not sign FAs until they have proven success with their coaching staff?

We need a quality coaching staff. Our staff needs evaluated...and the ones that aren't good coaches replaced.

When you see basically every player on the roster regress...it's coaching.

That's the 1st step of fixing this.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 2aq57n.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 08:32 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Hubbard is a keeper. Just think if Young was on the other side. No way to double up Hubbard, Young and Geno. Pick up a run stuffer and one line is fixed.

Tapou(spelling) seems to holding his own
Reply/Quote