Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Hubbard Update
As we know, Sam had ankle surgery at the end of the last season IN addition to a tight rope procedure, he had a complete reconstruction of the deltoid ligament. He was playing the last half of last season with no stability in the ankle...and it showed.

Hopefully, he'll be ready for training camp/ He is still rehabbing so don't expect much during OTA's

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Was clear as day he was hobbled. It didn't seem to affect his get off, but lateral movement seemed to REALLY hinder him...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Absolutely vanished after missing those 2 weeks. I understand that guy want to be tough and play, but if they're not GOOD while playing injured, they're not helping the team and actually hurting it. We really need to get some adults in the room to make the tough calls on things like Geno Atkins playing one-armed or Sam Hubbard playing one-footed just isn't helpful and they should go ahead and medically get right.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You could tell Sam was hurt for most of the year. Thanks for the update Pally.

Hope Sam comes back 100% and has his best year ever this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 03:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Absolutely vanished after missing those 2 weeks. I understand that guy want to be tough and play, but if they're not GOOD while playing injured, they're not helping the team and actually hurting it. We really need to get some adults in the room to make the tough calls on things like Geno Atkins playing one-armed or Sam Hubbard playing one-footed just isn't helpful and they should go ahead and medically get right.

No doubt. Have a player that is 100% playing rather than hurt the team with a hurt player. Same can be said for Logan Wilson last
year who was playing hurt, should of gave some snaps to Bachie or something. Pratt has no excuse for his poor play last year though 
as far as I know, he was healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 03:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Absolutely vanished after missing those 2 weeks. I understand that guy want to be tough and play, but if they're not GOOD while playing injured, they're not helping the team and actually hurting it. We really need to get some adults in the room to make the tough calls on things like Geno Atkins playing one-armed or Sam Hubbard playing one-footed just isn't helpful and they should go ahead and medically get right.

This right here. Especially when you have young guys like Murphy or Ossai on the bench who was chomping at the bit to get more reps and who was flashing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Wow so Sam had himself convinced that even at 75%
On Sunday he still could be a force and help the defense
No he actually hurt the defensive effort and became
A severe liability. That is a act of being selfish
And putting himself before the betterment
Of the team. Was he afraid if he shut it down
That maybe Murphy and Ossai would
Actually give the defense a jolt of consistent
Pass rush ability in his place ?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 07:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wow so Sam had himself convinced that even at 75%

You are going to blame it on Sam? I don't know, don't the coaches know from the medical staff and they are the ones that have the say?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 07:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Wow so Sam had himself convinced that even at 75%

A 75% Sam Hubbard was still more effective than what the Bengals had to roll out there the weeks that he was out. A lot about football is cerebral, and his ability to recognize and position himself was still more effective on a bad wheel than inexperienced players that were fully healthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A 75% Sam Hubbard was still more effective than what the Bengals had to roll out there the weeks that he was out. A lot about football is cerebral, and his ability to recognize and position himself was still more effective on a bad wheel than inexperienced players that were fully healthy.

Plus Ossai was injured as well for a lot of the year until late and Sam does a lot of communication even if the entire Defense was bad at it
last year. Murphy was also really raw early in the year and didn't start to show until late. Just was a rough year for the Defense in general.
Reply/Quote

It's not selfishness... It's a product of non guaranteed contracts.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A 75% Sam Hubbard was still more effective than what the Bengals had to roll out there the weeks that he was out. A lot about football is cerebral, and his ability to recognize and position himself was still more effective on a bad wheel than inexperienced players that were fully healthy.

I would have taken a raw Myles Murphy at 100% healthy 
Then a 75% Sam Hubbard who was a physical liability 
On the field. Murphy was a 1st RD pick 
He has to learn the position at some point. 
Reply/Quote

It's easy for me to sit back and say very bad roster management.
Our young backups could have used the experience.

But I get it though, it would be hard to say no to a team leader fighting to give his team all he has to make a playoff push.
Reply/Quote

There are adults in the room. Adults who made it to the NFL by making these decisions. They ask two questions. 1)If the player plays through the injury, can he hurt it more and 2) If he is playing hurt, is he still better than the guy that would replace him if he sits? Evidently they decided he could not aggravate it more by playing on it, and he was better at whatever % he was playing at than the person behind him was at 100%. That's why he is a starter and the other guy isn't. I'm not sure about the percentage, but I assume it is pretty high when asking how many starters are playing injured during a season. 
Reply/Quote

This is what kills me about fans in general. They seem to think they know better than the Pros who are out there doing it every Sunday. If that were the case, why aren't THEY coaching in the NFL on Sunday? 
Reply/Quote

(04-23-2024, 08:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This is what kills me about fans in general. They seem to think they know better than the Pros who are out there doing it every Sunday. If that were the case, why aren't THEY coaching in the NFL on Sunday? 

If a 75% Sam Hubbard was better than our 1st round pick (which I don't believe), then our 1st round pick was a waste. 

It's not like we're talking a 75% Ja'Marr Chase or Joe Burrow where they are good enough that even when not operating at full or close to full ability they are still well above average players. Sam Hubbard is just a solidly good starter. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but he's not so good that he can afford a huge amount of decrease and still be a good option.

His ability to recognize and position himself means nothing if we're giving up a ton. We gave the Steelers their first 400 offensive yard game in 59 games, and then later gave them another 396 yard game. I am not saying that was exclusively Sam Hubbard's fault, but I am saying his recognition and positioning didn't do much while they ran for 285 yards and he had 0 sacks and 0 QB Hits.

- - - - - -

Sled, if you think Angel Hernandez is such a bad umpire, why aren't YOU umpiring for the MLB? If you think the chef overcooked your steak, why aren't YOU cooking for the chef? If you think a CEO is awful why don't YOU run the company? If you...

That's a terrible argument. Not everyone who has their position is good. Not everyone who got their position got it on merit. Just because you do not currently have a position doesn't mean you can't criticize someone who is in it or that they inherently are without flaw and always know best because they are in it and you are not.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote