Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Sam Wyche and the zone blitz
I was listening to Soloman Wilcott's interviewing Dick Lebeau of Sirius Radio yesterday.  Dick was talking about coming up with his original idea for the "zone blitz".  He said that he was lucky that Sam Wyche was his head coach with the Bengals at the time.  He figured a lot of head coaches would have laughed at him for suggesting they drop a nose tackle or defensive end into zone coverage, but Sam was willing to try anything.

LeBeau also said that the first time they used it in preseason it resulted in a pick six.  So that made Wyche much more excited about it.

We always give Sam a lot of credit for his offensive innovations.  Now it looks like he might also deserve a little credit for one of the biggest defensive innovations of the last half century.
Reply/Quote
So what you're saying is, arguably the 2 biggest schemes in the NFL--offense and defense--WC offense and zone blitz, were both created in Cincinnati. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 04:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So what you're saying is, arguably the 2 biggest schemes in the NFL--offense and defense--WC offense and zone blitz, were both created in Cincinnati. 

A lot of great innovative coaches have worked here.  Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Dick LeBeau, Sam Wyche, Marvin Lewis.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A lot of great innovative coaches have worked here.  Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Dick LeBeau, Sam Wyche, Marvin Lewis.

[Image: at-first-i-was-like-then-i-was-like.jpg]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 05:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: at-first-i-was-like-then-i-was-like.jpg]

I edited it to include a ninja.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2022, 05:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I edited it to include a ninja.

I figured that's what you were doing from the start.

Reply/Quote
Marvin revolutionized keeping players around till they could both retire happily.. at the same time!  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
He wasn't called the "Always innovative Sam Wyche" for nothing.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote